kg8183

joint sponsor and household member question

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

Hello,

Instructions for joint sponsor and household member require to prove that the two are related and live in one household.

Will joint tax transcripts of the joint sponsor and household member, which show the filing status, spouses' names and social security numbers, prove that the two are married?

If the joint tax transcripts are not acceptable by NVC/CO as a proof that they are spouses, what else, besides the marriage certificate, will constitute one?

thank you in advance

USCIS:
January 26, 2010 - got married
March 8, 2012 - became US citizen
April 16, 2012 - sent I-130 package
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:
Oct 10, 2012 - Received NVC case number and INN (by e-mail)
Oct 10, 2012 - Received AOS fee invoice (by e-mail)
Oct 11, 2012 - Sent DS-3032 (by e-mail)
Oct 12, 2012 - Paid AOS fee online
Oct 16, 2012 - Accepted DS-3032
Oct 18, 2012 - IV bill generated
Oct 18, 2012 - Paid IV fee online
Oct 22, 2012 - Mailed AOS package
Oct 22, 2012 - Mailed IV package
Nov 8, 2012 - Case complete at NVC (notified by phone)

Consulate:

Jan 29, 2013 - Visa interview

Apr 10, 2013 - Visa issued

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Timeline

Yes, that is enough. I did the same to show my mom and dad are related. The joint taxes have all the info that is needed (home address, ssn, marital status). NVC had no problems at all, they just sent me a so called checklist which said that I myself might not satisfy the sponsorship requirement for the CO purposes, so I should make sure husband takes a copy of cosponsor info with him, even though NVC will forward it all.

No marriage certificate from you parents is needed. Hope this helps! :thumbs:

Timeline

Yes, that is enough. I did the same to show my mom and dad are related. The joint taxes have all the info that is needed (home address, ssn, marital status). NVC had no problems at all, they just sent me a so called checklist which said that I myself might not satisfy the sponsorship requirement for the CO purposes, so I should make sure husband takes a copy of cosponsor info with him, even though NVC will forward it all.

No marriage certificate from you parents is needed. Hope this helps! :thumbs:

Thank you for the reply.

That is a little strange. I actually called the NVC today and asked about it. I was told that I must submit the marriage certificate and only the marriage certificate will prove the relationship. I specifically asked about the joint tax transcripts but was told that they will not accept that as a proof of relationship, which doesn't make much sense to me.

Now I am kind of lost as to what I should do. I have all the necessary stuff in hand from my parents to mail out the AOS package. But if I try to secure another joint sponsor, it will take some time to get all the necessary documents ready.

By the way, was there a specific reason for not sending the marriage certificate which you explained to them? I am thinking, maybe, if I provide a little explanation why we didn't send the marriage certificate they will be fine with the transcripts. What do you think?

thank you

USCIS:
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:

Consulate:

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Timeline

Hmmm that is strange. My mom did I 864, my dad 864a, but I never got any RFEs. My case was complete right after that. There was no reason that I did not send the marriage certificate. I just figured joint tax returns will be enough. I called NVC to ask about that checklist they sent which said I am myself not satisfying sponsorship requirements and they told me that since I have a cosponsor info everything is ok. I even asked them if they need anything else and they said no case is complete. I would recommend sending the package as it is. You will most likely get the checklist similar to mine, recommending a sponsor and when you call them after that they will tell you that they have your parents info and that's a standard checkist. Wait and see if they will ask for marriage cert. Maybe you just talked to the wrong person and if you call again you might be given another answer. Since you will need to submit the IV docs also, if they ask for marriage cert you can just mail that with a bar coded cover they will provide with the RFE. However, if you have marriage cert send it, won't hurt. but it is very strange that joint taxes are not enough, after all they have all the information on parent's relationship.

Timeline

Hmmm that is strange. My mom did I 864, my dad 864a, but I never got any RFEs. My case was complete right after that. There was no reason that I did not send the marriage certificate. I just figured joint tax returns will be enough. I called NVC to ask about that checklist they sent which said I am myself not satisfying sponsorship requirements and they told me that since I have a cosponsor info everything is ok. I even asked them if they need anything else and they said no case is complete. I would recommend sending the package as it is. You will most likely get the checklist similar to mine, recommending a sponsor and when you call them after that they will tell you that they have your parents info and that's a standard checkist. Wait and see if they will ask for marriage cert. Maybe you just talked to the wrong person and if you call again you might be given another answer. Since you will need to submit the IV docs also, if they ask for marriage cert you can just mail that with a bar coded cover they will provide with the RFE. However, if you have marriage cert send it, won't hurt. but it is very strange that joint taxes are not enough, after all they have all the information on parent's relationship.

It is strange indeed. The good news is that my parents have found their marriage certificate but it is in Russian and now I have to find a certified translator if I want to send it in.

USCIS:
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:

Consulate:

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Timeline

It is strange indeed. The good news is that my parents have found their marriage certificate but it is in Russian and now I have to find a certified translator if I want to send it in.

I just went through some older threads and it seems that I can do the translation myself and certify it using a format provided by the USCIS.

USCIS:
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:

Consulate:

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Timeline

Oh good! I believe you can translate it yourself and put certification language on the bottom (such as that you affirm that you know the language and certify it is the true translation of the original. If you have your marriage cert translated from Armenian by Notary, there is tralsator language on the bottom as well). Search this forum, there are people who did it themselves and put the guidelines.

Now that I think of it maybe they did not ask for my parent's marriage cert is because my mom's income was enough and I just added my dad since they are both on the tax returns, so i played it safe and did 864a for my dad. Maybe they looked at my mom's and that was enough? So to be safe, do put the cert in. Good luck! :thumbs:

Timeline

perfect :thumbs:

Thank you for the help

USCIS:
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:

Consulate:

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.