Sofiane

Citizenship at birth under Section 301(g)

1 post in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello Everybody,

I'm naturalized citizen...in 2 months I'm going to Algeria to bring my wife ( who's waiting interview for her green card ).

Now, my wife delivered our baby a month ago.

My question is regarding the CRBA specifically for citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) clause .

It mentions at least 2 years has to be after the age of 14 .....

Does this mean that the US parent has to show proof that he/she spent some years before the age of 14 in order to transmit citizenship to the child ?

Below is what citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) says:

(g) a person born outside the geographical limits of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is an alien, and the other a citizen of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than five years, at least two of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years: Provided, That any periods of honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States, or periods of employment with the United States Government or with an international organization as that term is defined in section 1 of the International Organizations Immunities Act (59 Stat. 669; 22 U.S.C. 288) by such citizen parent, or any periods during which such citizen parent is physically present abroad as the dependent unmarried son or daughter and a member of the household of a person (A) honorably serving with the Armed Forces of the United States, or (B) employed by the United States Government or an international organization as defined in section 1 of the International Organizations Immunities Act, may be included in order to satisfy the physical-presence requirement of this paragraph. This proviso shall be applicable to persons born on or after December 24, 1952, to the same extent as if it had become effective in its present form on that date;

Thank you all.

Edited by Sofiane

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.