njcs

ds 260 previous arrest question

1 post in this topic

Hi all

I am currently filling out my DS 230 and am stuck question 44 which asks about previous arrests. About 10 years ago i was pulled over for a breath test and blew over the limit. I was young and silly and obviously didnt know my limits. I was taken to the police station and held for a few hours, i was given a court date and was driven home by a police officer. She was so lovely and i explained how terrible my life was at that point ( personal issues, very sick father etc.). A few days later she called to say she had spoken with the police chief at her station and he had agreed to drop all charges, I was never issued with any paper work regarding this and never had to attend court. I am not sure if this would even show as an arrest as she told me to forget about it and to never drink drive again. This was in Australia and I have never had to disclose this before, like I said Im unsure if it even shows on my arrest record. I have tried researching online, I obviously want to be truthful but am worried about not having evidence to show charges were never pursued, all information I can find says I need to show evidence of charges being dropped. I have had aviation security clearances ( working for an airline in both sydney and London ) which constitutes more in depth checks and this has never showed up. I guess Im looking for advice about whether I should say I was arrested and say I have no proof of the dropped charges, or not disclose it and if it comes up state that I didnt think it was an arrest, i was never cuffed or read rights but was initially given a court date. Sorry to waffle but Im really concerned.

Thank you :)

Edited by njcs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.