kmehmood1

should i have checked a box?

9 posts in this topic

my husband got a ticket for speeding but that was taken care of by defensive driving. We were told it wouldnt be on the driving record. We have already sent our packet in, when filling the form we didnt think we should check any box. but i just wanted to get your opinion on it.

When are we suppose to check one of the boxes?

If we get a ticket and its not on our driving record?

If we get a ticket and paid a fine?

And if we were suppose to tick one of the boxes and didnt should we bring it up at interview or should we do something before interview?

Please help!

Thanks

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline
1342010775[/url]' post='5516153']

my husband got a ticket for speeding but that was taken care of by defensive driving. We were told it wouldnt be on the driving record. We have already sent our packet in, when filling the form we didnt think we should check any box. but i just wanted to get your opinion on it.

When are we suppose to check one of the boxes?

If we get a ticket and its not on our driving record?

If we get a ticket and paid a fine?

And if we were suppose to tick one of the boxes and didnt should we bring it up at interview or should we do something before interview?

Please help!

Thanks

Traffic and moving violations are not a deal breaker provided there were no criminal charges brought to the driver as a consequence of the offense, I.e. nobody got hurt or killed b y your husband while he was driving over the speed limit.

The best you can do is bring it up at the top of the interview and correct the form before the interviewer I'd deemed necessary.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Which box should be selected ?

Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?

Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?

Traffic and moving violations are not a deal breaker provided there were no criminal charges brought to the driver as a consequence of the offense, I.e. nobody got hurt or killed b y your husband while he was driving over the speed limit.

The best you can do is bring it up at the top of the interview and correct the form before the interviewer I'd deemed necessary.

Thanks for your reply!

Timeline
1342011438[/url]' post='5516172']

Which box should be selected ?

Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?

Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?

Thanks for your reply!

In the state of Texas a speeding ticket is considered a criminal offense, so the former would apply. It is a much lesser crime so don't panic over thar word.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I asked exactly the same two days ago. We concluded that it is more case-to-case based.

I guess you should have checked both, but this should not be a big deal as you can always mention it at the interview. It is not that you were hiding it, you simply forgot. Other people apparently did not have problems. I do not think that a speeding ticket is exactly what IOs look for. But don't forget to mention it.

Timeline
1342012205[/url]' post='5516204']

Even if the ticket is not on the driving record? Thanks for ur answer:)

Yes, because he committed a 'crime' for which he was not arrested because certain traffic violations don't entail imprisonment and because he took his defensive driving course.

What is important in all this is not the ticket itself so much as the spirit of full disclosure to the interviewer. A mundane traffic ticket will not stop his citizenship process decade on its tracks so be is better off bringing it up a the interview himself and let the interviewer decide if it should be on thr application. When you send in you application and get an interview scheduled it does not mean it it all said and done. The purpose of the interview is to go over your application - hence the chance to make amendments to the paperwork - and to ensure you are compliant with other requirements.

You don't need to stress over this. yes.gif

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

LA80 andI had this conversation las week.

I ticked yes because I was not sure. Not being sure I wanted to show my intention to the IO I wanted to discuss. We discussed it, and it was deemed inconsequential. It was a weight off my mind not having to contemplate whether I should have told them or not. Or whether it will come back to bite me on the rear end. every State has their own way of defining traffic offences, so it is tricky.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

04-22-2000 – Met

06-11-2007 - Son Born

10-22-2008 – Married

12-02-2008 – I-130 Sent

01-29-2009 – I-130 Approved

03-29-2009 – Visa Received

04-29-2009 – US Entry

04-29-2011 – Filed to remove Green Card Conditions

07-20-2011 - Lifting of Green Card conditions

03-21-2012 – I-400 Filed

05-09-2012 – Bio

06-18-2012 - Naturalization Interview - PASSED

07-27-2012 - Oath Ceremony

I was discussing with my husband and he said its best to mention it during interview than regretting later! So thank you all for your help really appreciate your replies

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.