Toledospod

Converting UK qualfications to US equivalent

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I hope that this is the right forum for this question. I'm not sure if anyone else has ever looked into this or done it themselves, but I'm hoping someone can advise me.

I(as the UKC) want to have my qualification that I earned here in the UK officially evaluated and converted into an equivalent degree for the US, i.e. one that will be recognised by US employers and educational institutions. My wife and I have seen many websites on the internet that will look at your qualifications by certificate or transcripts and convert them into whatever they would be if they were earned in the US at an educational institute. I don't know what you get given, but I believe that these companies then give you a document saying that me, as the student, has attained (the equivalent) qualification of Associates/Bachelors, etc in a specific subject in the United Kingdom and I could then show this to US employers as proof of the qualification that I have. The thing is, all the websites we have seen offer the same kind of service but charge different amounts. They all have testimonials from people that have used their company before. So, how do you know which one to go for, has anyone on here used any of the websites below? Can anyone suggest which one might be 'better' than the others? Here are the links to the websites that we have seen:

CIE Services

Career Consulting International

North American Educational Group

World Education Services?

I'm worried that I would go to one of these sites, pay money and get nothing or something really useless and then I've wasted my money. How do you know if the testimonials on these sites are really genuine or just made up? :unsure:

Thanks to anyone who can advise me!

Anthony

Anthony & Caitlin's Visa Journey

======================

Oct 2001 - Met on an internet dating website

10/21/2001 - Met in person for the first time in London!

Nov 2002 - Anthony & Caitlin get engaged in London!

03/20/2003 - Anthony & Caitlin get married in the UK :)

04/30/2005 - I-130 completed and sent off

05/03/2005 - Forgot to send it Marriage certificate, sent by post!

05/09/2005 - London Embassy notifies us of receipt of I-130

06/02/2005 - Pkt 3 received

08/02/2005 - Pkt 3 completed and sent back

09/30/2005 - Pkt 4 received - Interview date set for 4th November

09/09/2005 - First child is born! Baby girl named Brianna :)

Sept 2005 - Went to get up-to-date TD and MMR shots at local doctors

10/17/2005 - Medical exam in London

11/04/2005 - Interview at London Embassy - GOT THE VISA!!

04/30/2006 - First trip back to the States since getting visa - MRIV in passport stamped!

05/09/2006 - Flew back to the UK to complete sale of apartment

05/17/2006 - Received 'Welcome to the United States' letter

05/30/2006 - Green Card arrives in mail!! - Waiting for SSN now

07/10/2006 - The big move to Ohio!!

07/11/2006 - SSN doesn't arrive in mail, Anthony applies in person

07/18/2006 - Received SSN!!

08/22/2006 - Anthony gets his Ohio drivers license - journey is finally complete!!

Read my POE Experience in Newark

WES is the company that most US universities recommend....

Thanks BritBird! You've been a great help. :thumbs:

======================

04/30/2006 - First trip back to the States since getting visa - MRIV in passport stamped!

08/22/2006 - Anthony gets his Ohio drivers license - journey is finally complete!!

Filed: Timeline

no worries :) I work at a University so if you need any otehr advice just let me know...if i don't know the answer I can certainly point you in the right direction.

With WES be sure to get the correct evaluation from them as they offer a few different types...if you are looking to go back to school you should probably get the itemized evaluation (it's a course by course one). If you are just looking to back up your resume with your actual qualifications then you may be okay with the cheaper one.

Their service is okay as long as you don't have multiple bachelor degrees for example becasue they will just give you a combined GPA for the whole lot rather than individual ones. For most people though that isn't a problem.

Good luck!

no worries :) I work at a University so if you need any otehr advice just let me know...if i don't know the answer I can certainly point you in the right direction.

With WES be sure to get the correct evaluation from them as they offer a few different types...if you are looking to go back to school you should probably get the itemized evaluation (it's a course by course one). If you are just looking to back up your resume with your actual qualifications then you may be okay with the cheaper one.

Their service is okay as long as you don't have multiple bachelor degrees for example becasue they will just give you a combined GPA for the whole lot rather than individual ones. For most people though that isn't a problem.

Good luck!

Thanks once again BritBird. :) I think primarily, I'm looking to have my qualifications evaluated for my resume, so I'm going for the cheaper option. Having said that, I am thinking about going to community college to do evening or part-time courses in some different aspects of computing, so would this be the same as going back to uni? I don't think I could go back to uni to be honest, I spent enough time there already! :lol:

======================

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.