Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

J1 trainee visa

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts


I'm hoping to come over the the US to do an internship, probably for around 6 months. I would have to do this on a J1 Trainee visa, rather than an Intern visa as I graduated university over 12 months ago. I know one of the ways in which J1 Visa-holders end up subject to the 2 year residency requirement is by participating in a government-funded or international, exchange program. As I'm still researching my options I'm just wondering whether there are any ways of attaining sponsorship for an internship abroad, without going through one of these programs?

If the employer I ended up with were able to sponsor me, thereby meaning I didn't have to go through any kind of program, would that get round the residency requirement? Are there any avenues for attaining private sponsorship/funding (I'm guessing any internship would likely be in the arts or administration)? Or, is it possible to sort the funding out myself, again avoiding using any government-funded prgrams?

Or, is it simply the case that once you come over on a J1 Trainee visa there is no way of preventing having the 2 year residency requirement as well? I am a UK citizen so not on the exchange visitor skills list.

Many thanks,


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.