beachgirl

Vaccines.. ugh

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay.. My medical is the third week of May.. I have to travel to Vancouver and I'm freaking out now. I had an appointment today to get my vaccines updated. Tdap and Varricella I thought. I decided to be honest and admit that I haven't had chicken pox and therefore need a vaccine. Thinking that the bloodwork in Vancouver will show I've never had it. I'm not quite 40, but older than 30 lol :D the nurse says " No way at your age you haven't had it " I say way, no memory of it by me or my mom.. So, she says I need the test to find out. Fair enough, I get that done tomorrow and find out. Meanwhile, looking at my records they see I had MMR when I was 11, just one round. Apparantly, that is normal and I don't NEED the second, but it wouldn't hurt either. Problem is this. IF I need both, I have to wait a month between them so at my medical my vaccines will be incomplete.

Best possible outcome, I AM immune to chicken pox, only need MMR and I'm fine. Worse case, I need CP vaccine and maybe just the one round of MMR 20 some years ago is good enough..

Anyone my age range find out if MMR once is enough? Do they require two rounds if your say 35? Seems like Woking medical will send you to get any shots you need, but the nurse today says you can't bunch some of them together.

Just looking for piece of mind or solid advise. I've emailed Woking to see what they say, but I'm in panic mode now and would love to sleep tonight lol..

TIA

http://www.wokingmedical.com/Vaccinations.html

You need MMR, 2 rounds.. unless you are 50. I had emailed Woking before I did mine and they said 2 rounds. Sucks I know, last minute I had to run out and get a second MMR as I lost records for childhood.

Varicella is 2 rounds for an adult as well, if it turns out you aren't immune. Should be okay as long as you got the shot series started (if not done in tiem for you medical), but you'll need them finished for AOS I believe.

Timeline

ah darnit.. I was afraid of that.. If I need both, apparantly I can only get one before the interview They wont do both within a month.. Arg.. I really hope I get a surprise and I'm immune to chicken pox.. I wonder if I need a second MMR, and CP if I do round one of CP and HAVE round one of MMR will that do for now.. Guess I'll wait and see what they say. I just can't go back to Vancouver after this trip.. Stupid me.. I thought I was all good lol.

Thanks for the response :)

Timeline

You can get them done at the same time. If they aren't given at the same time you need to wait 1 month between each. You need 1 shot of MMR and 2 shots of Varicella if your titre test shows you are not immune. If you don't get both Varicella shots done before your medical they will mark your form as incomplete (this happened to me).

I am planning to send proof of my second shot along with my I-693 form when I file for AOS. If I get an RFE then I'll see a civil surgeon, but other VJ members have said they've done it without getting an RFE.

Good luck.

You can get them done at the same time. If they aren't given at the same time you need to wait 1 month between each. You need 1 shot of MMR and 2 shots of Varicella if your titre test shows you are not immune. If you don't get both Varicella shots done before your medical they will mark your form as incomplete (this happened to me).

I am planning to send proof of my second shot along with my I-693 form when I file for AOS. If I get an RFE then I'll see a civil surgeon, but other VJ members have said they've done it without getting an RFE.

Good luck.

Woking told me that if you have at least one of the shots of series then you will be ok and that you will have to either finish it before you leave Canada or you can finish it before your AOS. There was also an update that stated they weren't requiring the chicken pox now as well as HIV or something. Sorry for no details on that it has been awhile since I got the information. September of 2011. I will be going through Vancouver this September I hope.

good luck keep me updated please.

And all our vaccinations show incomplete because we don't have the records from childhood. No worries on the technicality.

Terri

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

Timeline

Just got an email. As long as I have proof of the first MMR, I don't need a second.. Phew.. I still need the Varicella if I'm not immune, but there is no conflict now getting both so I'm good either way. Such a relief.. To go this far without screwing up and then blow the medical would suck..

Thanks for the info, good luck with your journeys!!

oh, ps.. I am one of the few I guess that has all my records of vaccinations from birth on. My dad was very meticulous and kept everything :) Even my card and bracelet from birth :)

Edited by beachgirl

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The MMR is more important with AOS than the medical for the interview. Just make sure you get your second MMR before AOS. Varicella, however, they do care about *right away*.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems weird they would tell you 1 MMR is ok. I only had 1 at my medical and they sent me back to my Dr to get a second. They wouldn't finish my worksheet until I got it. I was only 21 at the time, but I dont see how that makes a difference?

For the MMR, wouldn't you be able to get titers done to see if you're immune? If you are, it wouldn't matter how many shots you've had... at least, it shouldn't!

P.S. to the OP- good luck at the interview!!

Edited by benoi027

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This thread is helpful, and it addresses Working Medical in Vancouver: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/351176-flu-shot-question/ MMR is discussed in detail. Your age group may have different requirements for vaccines. One lady is a nurse (I think?) and says you can do two live virus vaccines at a time so it seems kind of odd you can't get varicella + MMR if necessary.

It's certainly best to take care of MMR sooner than later since it saves you some hassle down the road (paying for an MMR in the US, possibility of it causing trouble at the medical, and getting proof of your second MMR for AOS.) It's also good to boost your immunity to rubella in case you get pregnant.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

http://www.wokingmedical.com/Vaccinations.html

You need MMR, 2 rounds.. unless you are 50. I had emailed Woking before I did mine and they said 2 rounds. Sucks I know, last minute I had to run out and get a second MMR as I lost records for childhood.

Varicella is 2 rounds for an adult as well, if it turns out you aren't immune. Should be okay as long as you got the shot series started (if not done in tiem for you medical), but you'll need them finished for AOS I believe.

Strange, I also emailed Woking and they said my one round would be sufficient. Wonder why the different answers?

K-1 Visa 248 Days
Filed: 2011-10-24... Interview: 2012-06-21... Visa Received: 2012-06-27

Adjustment of Status 84 Days

Filed: 2012-11-15... EAD Received: 2013-01-26... Interview: 2013-02-06

Removal of Conditions 166 Days

Filed: 2014-11-10... Card Production: 2015-04-16... Card Received: 2015-04-24

Naturalization 72 Days

Filed: 2024-01-02... Interview: 2024-02-27...Oath Ceremony: 2024-03-15

Timeline

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll find out about Varicella next week and get the first round if needed. I will bring a copy of the email saying I don't require a second MMR as well. I am 39 now, got MMR when I was 11. It could be the age thing just like I don't need a mennigicocal ? But my 11 year old son does. I can get the second Varicella and MMR before I leave this summer here in Alberta if needed, so hopefully everything goes smooth.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I only did one booster of the MMR and I AOS'd with no problems.

Ashley and Woody (Samuel)

Arrival: 04/18/2011

Married: 09/22/2011 in New Orleans

File date: 12/28/2011

Received: 12/30/2011

Biometrics: 02/27/2012

EAD received: 03/03/2012

SSN application: 03/23/2012

SSN received: 03/30/2012

Interview: 04/24/2012

GC approval: 04/26/2012

Welcome letter: 04/30/2012

GC arrival: 05/04/2012

ROC submitted: 04/07/2014

denied "not properly signed": 04/18/2014 :ranting:

new packet mailed: 04/19/2014

Receipt notice: 04/26/2014

Biometrics Appointment: 05/19/2014 - reschedule request sent

Biometrics Appiontment: 05/29/2014 - they're on their game

Green Card approved: 07/14/2014

Green Card arrived: 07/19/2014

Naturalization process to begin in 2015

Timeline

I did MMR and Varicella titers tests, and did TDap at the travel clinic in Vancouver on the day of my medical. Those were the only ones I needed.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Test results came back, I am fully immune to chicken pox :) YAY! I never got sick or had a mark so guess I'm one of the lucky ones. So now, as long as I have one dose of MMR I should be good hopefully. No more needles.. this week anyway..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.