Texas22

Total Cost for K1 and K2 Visas Canada

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

no you dont pay for it at the interview. the i-94 you will only get at the POE if you drive. they will stamp it with the expiration date of your visa. you only have to pay the interview fees at the interview. Also if your importing your van you will need a certificate of some kind from the dealer..i can't remember what its callled. and I"m not sure if it costs anything for it or what you have to pay at poe to import it.

OHH thats it..certificate of compliance i think? If i'm wrong someone will pipe in here with the correct verbiage.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have that bookmarked. Thanks.

Also, when do I get the I-94 and can you tell me why we need one? The US Customs gave me an I-94 the last time I went to visit my fiance in November. I was told I needed the return part when I came back to Canada on my return flight.

We will be driving on POE (I am also importing my van) so do I pay the $6 (x3) upfront at the Interview?

You get the I-94 when you POE. After your interview Montreal will mail your passports with your visas attached in them along with some sealed brown envelopes that you DO NOT open. When you POE you will give your passports and brown envelopes to a customs officer. They will have you fill out a couple forms and ask you a few questions. When they have determined that you're okay to enter the US they will staple the I-94s in your passports next to your visas. They look like white card stock. This is also when you pay for the I-94s- the Montreal consulate has nothing to do with I-94s.

The I-94s are important because they are PROOF that you are living in the USA legally (your K1 visa is valid for 6 months for a ONE time entry into the US, so having a K1 visa alone is NOT proof that you entered the US or are living in it legally). The I-94 expires 90 days after you POE. This is important: You MUST get married within 90 days of your POE, and preferably adjust your status. The I-94 protects your status as a legal alien when you enter the US. After those 90 days, you start accumulating out of status days and will not be eligible for a driver's license, SSN, etc. until you adjust your status, not to mention if you happen to run into customs officers afterwards you will get some stern warnings from them to AOS. So it's strongly recommended you adjust your status before your I-94 expires. Once you have an I-94, the expiry date on your K1 means nothing- the K1 just lets you enter the US, the I-94 lets you live there.

Since your I-94 is proof that you are living legally in the US, photocopies of it are required when you AOS. The I-94 combined with your visa and marriage certificate are valuable documents. If by mistake a customs officer doesn't give you an I-94 you'd have to call the POE and have them issue you one... so make sure they give it to you!

If for some reason you are unable to AOS within those 90 days you are still "okay" as USCIS forgives out of status days for K1s (I am NOT sure about K2s or other family members- you might want to double check that) and you won't be deported or anything, but it's just better to do it sooner. If you happen to be traveling on any highways with immigration checkpoints (they exist in California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas) make sure you have your passport with your I-94 and visa in it along with your marriage certificate.

Edited by pocheros

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you Pocheros - your reply was very detailed..and now I understand the need for the I-94.

You are right Eli, my costs have also gone up since posting this.. :blink: but it is good to know everything.

This is going to help me tremendously with getting organized as well..

If it wasn't for toocool's post I may have over-looked the certified copy of the marriage certificates. Ordered yesterday. :)

I think I will go out and get an acordian file today to keep all of my papers in (with photocopies) so I can check off the list as I gather up everything.. (thanks for that tip CA Dreamer) :thumbs:

Kimberley and Richard
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
2012-01-25 : I-129F Sent
2012-01-27 : VSC Received
2012-01-31 : I-129F NOA1 Notice Date
2012-02-01 : Touch
2012-07-05 : RFE Email (after 161 days)
2012-07-11 : RFE Received in Mail
2012-07-12 : RFE Reply Sent via USPS Overnight
2012-07-13 : RFE Reply Received at VSC at 12:16 PM
2012-07-18 : Case status updated to: "Request for Evidence Response Review"
2012-09-20 : Service Request Submitted with Tier 2 ISO
2012-09-25 : NOA2 Approved after 242 days!!
2013-01-07: Medical
2013-01-22: Interview - Approved! smile.png

My blog and video review of the Montreal Hotel that we stayed in: http://fanatictourist.com/blog/travel-tales/review-le-square-phillips-hotel-and-suites-montreal-canada/

2013-04-30: POE - Sarnia / Pt. Huron

2013-05-06: Made it legal.

2013-06-10: Apply for AOS, EAD and AP

2013-08-27: EAD / AP Received
2013-09-17: Greencard Received

2013-09-28: Wedding! smile.png

2015-06-15: Sent I-751 Application - Removal of Conditions.
2015-11-23: Approved
2015-12-02: 10 yr Green Card Rec'd.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you Pocheros - your reply was very detailed..and now I understand the need for the I-94.

You are right Eli, my costs have also gone up since posting this.. :blink: but it is good to know everything.

This is going to help me tremendously with getting organized as well..

If it wasn't for toocool's post I may have over-looked the certified copy of the marriage certificates. Ordered yesterday. :)

I think I will go out and get an acordian file today to keep all of my papers in (with photocopies) so I can check off the list as I gather up everything.. (thanks for that tip CA Dreamer) :thumbs:

Tehj accordian file is a god send. i picked up one at walmart and its about 3 inches when closed trust me..that thing is alot mroe than that now! lol. ohh and a tip i learend from Kathryn41, after poe and you move, get a box, and through everytying in there you can to prove relationship and co mingling of finances life etc. all the stuff bascially you will need eventually for aos roc etc etc.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your replies. I picked up my acordian file yesterday and I am all organized with the paperwork that I have so far. I printed off the P3 checklist document found here:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/packet3-k1-mtl.pdf

Now onto my next concern... going to see my hunny in May. :ot:

I have started a new post for that below... oh so much to think about! :blink:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/360458-visiting-my-fiance-in-the-us-while-immigration-is-in-process/

Kimberley and Richard
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
2012-01-25 : I-129F Sent
2012-01-27 : VSC Received
2012-01-31 : I-129F NOA1 Notice Date
2012-02-01 : Touch
2012-07-05 : RFE Email (after 161 days)
2012-07-11 : RFE Received in Mail
2012-07-12 : RFE Reply Sent via USPS Overnight
2012-07-13 : RFE Reply Received at VSC at 12:16 PM
2012-07-18 : Case status updated to: "Request for Evidence Response Review"
2012-09-20 : Service Request Submitted with Tier 2 ISO
2012-09-25 : NOA2 Approved after 242 days!!
2013-01-07: Medical
2013-01-22: Interview - Approved! smile.png

My blog and video review of the Montreal Hotel that we stayed in: http://fanatictourist.com/blog/travel-tales/review-le-square-phillips-hotel-and-suites-montreal-canada/

2013-04-30: POE - Sarnia / Pt. Huron

2013-05-06: Made it legal.

2013-06-10: Apply for AOS, EAD and AP

2013-08-27: EAD / AP Received
2013-09-17: Greencard Received

2013-09-28: Wedding! smile.png

2015-06-15: Sent I-751 Application - Removal of Conditions.
2015-11-23: Approved
2015-12-02: 10 yr Green Card Rec'd.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.