brian_n_phuong

Brain Buckets

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The VN govt has the idea that the people are smart enough to look out for themselves... they often take way too long to take steps like this... given the fact that they can 'knockoff' anything in VN.. if there were a certifying authority that inspected or authorized helmets, whatever existed to note a helmet as approved would be faked... they may take steps to specify testing requirements and institute a standard that everyone should meet, but even those on the side of the road would end up with authentic identifying marks... if a paper hat were stylish, we would see them being sold on the side of the road... in VN style comes before safety...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

yeah, it is a big problem there with helmet stuffs. people are ignored safety any where too not just VN. For example, like texting or talking on the phone while driving here in the US. on my way to work today, i saw 10 straight drivers that turned left with 8 on their phones and 2 were texting. i dont think it is any safer if you get hit a by vehicle at high speed.

The point is that everyone bitches about the traffic and the lack of enforcement of the rules in Vietnam.

Now the government in Vietnam is actually starting to push some safety issues and traffic issues, and everyone says it's a waste of time. You can't have it both ways.

Not that long ago in our history there were no seat belts worn, no child seats, kids rode in open pickups beds, and drinking and driving was tolerated. We have come a long ways since then, but still have a long ways to go. There are several European countries that are at such a level of highway safety that we look like Viet Nam compared to them, it's all a matter of perspective. Enforcement and education changes attitudes, it won't happen overnight but things will change for the better in Viet Nam.

Vince, what type of bike do you have? I have an 2008 Ducati 848

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The point is that everyone bitches about the traffic and the lack of enforcement of the rules in Vietnam.

Now the government in Vietnam is actually starting to push some safety issues and traffic issues, and everyone says it's a waste of time. You can't have it both ways.

While I agree with your sentimental, but if they truly care about traffic issues I believe there are many many other other issue they could focus on instead of the helmets.

?

This was certainly a huge surprise, I'd never thought about bumping into another bike rider in this palace. You have a Duc in the states right? bc nobody in their right mind would bring their Duc to VN. I have a 2006 CBR1000RR.

While I agree with your sentimental, but if they truly care about traffic issues I believe there are many many other other issue they could focus on instead of the helmets.

?

This was certainly a huge surprise, I'd never thought about bumping into another bike rider in this palace. You have a Duc in the states right? bc nobody in their right mind would bring their Duc to VN. I have a 2006 CBR1000RR.

Ahhhh the liter~ I had a 2006 CBR 600RR with the Red Tribal Design. Low sided it in 07(Oil Spill on a S-Curved on ramp), and traded it for a used 2007 Busa, Sold that the next year, had a NEW 2008 GXSR 750 (Stolen after 2 weeks :angry: ), then bought the Duc...

The CBR was hands down my Fav bike, never had ANY mech issues. The Ducati is a maintanance pig, and Ducati service is major $$$ for everything. The good thing is that has forced me to learn to do my own maintanance which has been a handy thing.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Douche is a little harsh, but I'll take your word for it.

As far as Saigon, you can have that overcrowded, polluted cesspool. :rofl:

Wow. You really are one of those lonely drama queen types who's always posting everywhere because you don't have a life. Good luck with that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Let's not let this go to far guys... :whistle: friendly banter / debate is one thing, but please avoid any personal attacks...:thumbs:

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Timeline

I agree, it isn't a problem with the law per se, it is a problem with enforcement. If they want to have safe roads, then they need to change the system. Fines must be sent directly to the court, not to the traffic officer. They need to have people pretending to be regular citizens who try to bribe the traffic officers, if the officer accepts the bribe, then he needs to be terminated immediately.

With regards to design of roads, FHWA has been emphasizing substantive safety, but following nominal safety across the board would be a start.

Not that long ago in our history there were no seat belts worn, no child seats, kids rode in open pickups beds, and drinking and driving was tolerated. We have come a long ways since then, but still have a long ways to go. There are several European countries that are at such a level of highway safety that we look like Viet Nam compared to them, it's all a matter of perspective. Enforcement and education changes attitudes, it won't happen overnight but things will change for the better in Viet Nam.

Edited by Dan_P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.