Mononoke28

Colombia Club Part IV

504 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

hey guys!! I've been through an incredibly hectic couple of weeks. I've been working about 14 hours a day trying to save up as much as i can for the wedding / honeymoon at the end of August. I've spent almost all my free time dealing with flights / reservations / hotels and coordinating with the church in florida, and my family members who will be attending. It's been a ton of work. I'm just thrilled to know that in a little over 3 weeks i will be face to face with my fiancee in Miami International airport.

I'm now to the point that all the arrangements are made, and i need to begin preparing for the AOS package and the EAD (?) to file as soon as we get back from the honeymoon. My fiancee says she wants to begin working as soon as possible. My brain is hurting right now and I don't want to go looking at forms and stuff right this second. Can someone give me the cliff's notes of the form names i will need to file right after the wedding, which office i will send the forms too, as well as anything else i should be doing right now to prepare? Thank you...i greatly appreciate it!!

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Just a quick update, see my revised timeline below, my fiancee and her son arrived POE at LAX on Friday night 7/27/12.

Tired from the long trip and anxious that he did not see me in either the stop over in Bogota or Florida, her son was crying and so when she got to the immigration office at POE in LAX the officer asked the young boy "why are you crying"? to which he replied "because I want my papa nonal" (his name for me), the officer then ask him where is "papa nonal"?, he said in "Los Angeles", no further questions as the officer quickly stamped the visas and through the doors they came.

Children only speak the truth and the officer recognized this. Did not ask a single question to my fiancee only a simple and polite welcome to the United States.

Edited by D N Medellin COL

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

Timeline

hey guys!! I've been through an incredibly hectic couple of weeks. I've been working about 14 hours a day trying to save up as much as i can for the wedding / honeymoon at the end of August. I've spent almost all my free time dealing with flights / reservations / hotels and coordinating with the church in florida, and my family members who will be attending. It's been a ton of work. I'm just thrilled to know that in a little over 3 weeks i will be face to face with my fiancee in Miami International airport.

I'm now to the point that all the arrangements are made, and i need to begin preparing for the AOS package and the EAD (?) to file as soon as we get back from the honeymoon. My fiancee says she wants to begin working as soon as possible. My brain is hurting right now and I don't want to go looking at forms and stuff right this second. Can someone give me the cliff's notes of the form names i will need to file right after the wedding, which office i will send the forms too, as well as anything else i should be doing right now to prepare? Thank you...i greatly appreciate it!!

Believe it or not you will eventually miss all the chaos that comes with the process, I know it's a crazy thought right now but someone told me that once when I was going through the whole visa process for my husband and they were right, you somehow feel nostalgic about it.

Anyway, you can look at the Guide for AOS here in VJ. It's pretty simple and straightforward since it lists every single document you need to send and every form you need to fill out. Remember, you only need to send photocopies, not original documents. Your future wife will receive her work permit/advance parole for international travel about 1-3 months after filing and she will get her green card about 3-6 months after that.

Also, tell her she needs her I-94 which will be given to her on the plane by the flight attendants and her vaccination worksheet to apply for AOS. There have been several people who have misplaced these documents and getting copies is a pain in the neck. Also, don't lose the NOA2 the USCIS sent you for the approval of the I-129F because you will also need to send a copy of it with your AOS package.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Can someone give me the cliff's notes of the form names i will need to file right after the wedding, which office i will send the forms too, as well as anything else i should be doing right now to prepare? Thank you...i greatly appreciate it!!

Diana was right about the Cliff's Notes link, wrong about the visa drama...I think. :bonk: You get tired of $$Paying Money$$ for the AOS and the ROC. Drama I can live without.

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Just a quick update, see my revised timeline below, my fiancee and her son arrived POE at LAX on Friday night 7/27/12.

Congratulations! You just missed the Colombian Festival in Pico Rivera earlier this month. There is lots to do in this area for Colombianos. Here is a great newspaper/website for Colombians in the Los Angeles area that is produced here in Riverside, CA. :thumbs:

http://laprensacolombiana.com/

That's me standing in the lower left-hand corner of the picture (wearing sun glasses and white Polo shirt)

426886_10151135455297625_1307247395_n.jpg

Edited by Ken y Leidys

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Timeline

We have received our NOA2 and I'm curious as to how my fiance will be notified and/or receive the Instruction and Appointment Package - Fiance K-Visas (Packets 3 & 4). Mail? Email? If it is email how are they suppose to have her email address as we have not provided her email address in the I129F package I sent in. Was I suppose to generate a G-1145 for her so that they embassy in Bogota has her contact info?

After your NOA2 you need to call the NVC to find out when they will send or when they sent her case to the US Embassy in Bogotá, they will also give you the BGT number of the case. If they haven't sent it, ask them when they think they will be sending it and give it about three business days to arrive. If they sent it already then contact the embassy via email, give them your BGT number and they will email you the Instructions Package which is also found in the embassy's website.

The instructions will tell you what she will need, where she can get her lab work done, as well as her medical. It will also give you a link to the site where you can register, pay for her visa and schedule the interview.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Believe it or not you will eventually miss all the chaos that comes with the process, I know it's a crazy thought right now but someone told me that once when I was going through the whole visa process for my husband and they were right, you somehow feel nostalgic about it.

Anyway, you can look at the Guide for AOS here in VJ. It's pretty simple and straightforward since it lists every single document you need to send and every form you need to fill out. Remember, you only need to send photocopies, not original documents. Your future wife will receive her work permit/advance parole for international travel about 1-3 months after filing and she will get her green card about 3-6 months after that.

Also, tell her she needs her I-94 which will be given to her on the plane by the flight attendants and her vaccination worksheet to apply for AOS. There have been several people who have misplaced these documents and getting copies is a pain in the neck. Also, don't lose the NOA2 the USCIS sent you for the approval of the I-129F because you will also need to send a copy of it with your AOS package.

Diana

Good god. $985 for AOS and $85 for Biometrics? Unreal. So do you just add the two together and send a check for the total amount?

And I have to file another Affidavit of Support (I-864)? Even though we just did the I-134 for the interview? They really need this again after we're already married? What if i had lost my job or something they would tell her to go back home?

Wow they really make this as complicated and redundant as possible, don't they?

And I'm still not seeing the address for where to mail all this. On the guidelines you linked it says : "Applicants are required to mail applications to a national mailbox (Chicago) as stated on the form (not your local USCIS office). Be sure to mail the package with return receipt requested / delivery confirmation. Send via USPS."

I just opened up the I-485 PDF file and did a word search for Chicago and it "no matches found in this document". Where is this address "as stated in the form" and what form are they talking about?

And the "I-693" medical form, is this just her medical packet she got for the interview, or does she have to go through another examination?

And to think I thought this step would be as simple as a couple forms and another check for $300 bucks or so. Good lord. Just what a new couple needs...another $1000 punch to the gut.

I don't see anyway possible that i will "miss" all of these forms and payments. I think the stress from all this has shortened my life by about 10 years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey guys. Just a quick update, and quick question:

My wife is finished with medical exams, Dr's appointment, vaccinations... And now we are waiting on the Interview. (12 days from now) We have a lawyer who suggested that my wife and I should study all of the Immigration paperwork that we filled out. (from I130 through AOS) and make sure that she can answer questions about that paperwork without looking at it. Is this the best way to prepare? We know each other pretty well.. We dated for a year before we got married, and we have now been married a year. (our anniversary was last week) even though we only spent 2 months together in our first year of marriage. Should she really need to "study" to prepare for the interview? Or do you think that because she and I know each other well, that she will be OK? Thanks!

Timeline

My wife is finished with medical exams, Dr's appointment, vaccinations... And now we are waiting on the Interview. (12 days from now) We have a lawyer who suggested that my wife and I should study all of the Immigration paperwork that we filled out. (from I130 through AOS) and make sure that she can answer questions about that paperwork without looking at it. Is this the best way to prepare? We know each other pretty well.. We dated for a year before we got married, and we have now been married a year. (our anniversary was last week) even though we only spent 2 months together in our first year of marriage. Should she really need to "study" to prepare for the interview? Or do you think that because she and I know each other well, that she will be OK? Thanks!

I would recommend studying, knowing dates, etc. to the best of your ability.

But I will tell you that my fiancee just had her interview in july and it was incredibly simple. They asked there where i lived, what my job was, what her job was...and another couple very basic questions, and that was it. Not sure if she just got lucky or what, but her interview was a piece of cake.

Good luck

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congratulations! You just missed the Colombian Festival in Pico Rivera earlier this month. There is lots to do in this area for Colombianos. Here is a great newspaper/website for Colombians in the Los Angeles area that is produced here in Riverside, CA. :thumbs:

http://laprensacolombiana.com/

That's me standing in the lower left-hand corner of the picture (wearing sun glasses and white Polo shirt)

426886_10151135455297625_1307247395_n.jpg

Yep it's all about timing, that is something to look forward to next year. We have been very busy just with the simple everyday going here and there in LA and the OC areas.

I see you in the picture and it looks like your drinking some cervesa! :pop:

Have a great weekend!

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

Timeline

If you pick up the visa at a DHL location it's free, but I'm not sure how much it is, if any, to have it delivered.

Diana

We GOTTTT ITT, yes my sister and nephew got their visa (waiting for DHL now) thanks for your help. And I got a place to move all of us in September 1st now just have to get their flights. How long do think it will take to get their visas in hand they are in Cali.

Thanks again.

Timeline

Good god. $985 for AOS and $85 for Biometrics? Unreal. So do you just add the two together and send a check for the total amount?

And I have to file another Affidavit of Support (I-864)? Even though we just did the I-134 for the interview? They really need this again after we're already married? What if i had lost my job or something they would tell her to go back home?

Wow they really make this as complicated and redundant as possible, don't they?

And I'm still not seeing the address for where to mail all this. On the guidelines you linked it says : "Applicants are required to mail applications to a national mailbox (Chicago) as stated on the form (not your local USCIS office). Be sure to mail the package with return receipt requested / delivery confirmation. Send via USPS."

I just opened up the I-485 PDF file and did a word search for Chicago and it "no matches found in this document". Where is this address "as stated in the form" and what form are they talking about?

And the "I-693" medical form, is this just her medical packet she got for the interview, or does she have to go through another examination?

And to think I thought this step would be as simple as a couple forms and another check for $300 bucks or so. Good lord. Just what a new couple needs...another $1000 punch to the gut.

I don't see anyway possible that i will "miss" all of these forms and payments. I think the stress from all this has shortened my life by about 10 years.

This is one of the many reasons why a CR visa is superior to the K1 visa, less complicated and less expensive.

But anyway, before doing anything make sure you not only read the AOS guidelines here on VJ but most importantly, read the instructions for the I-485 which will have the most up-to-date information.

You can send one check for the amount of $1070. This fee covers the I-485, I-765 and I-131. Send everything in one packet.

You need to send form I-864 which is for the USCIS to review before approving your wife's AOS. They need to make sure she won't become a public charge to the US government while she's a permanent resident. The I-134 was for the US Embassy to review before approving her visa, which means the USCIS is not aware of your financial situation, only the embassy. If your employment situation changes by the time you file for AOS, you will need to get a co-sponsor.

The address where the AOS packet needs to be sent to (USCIS Chicago Lockbox) is on page 6 of the I-485 instructions.

She won't need another medical examination because the one she had done in Bogotá is valid for 12 months; however, some USCIS employees request form I-693 which needs to be signed by a USCIS approved civil surgeon. You have two options, since her medical is still valid you can send a copy of form DS-3025 (vaccination worksheet given to her in Bogotá) and wait to see if that is enough to ger her AOS approved, which is most cases it is. Or go to an approved civil surgeon so he/she can review her DS-3025 and sign form I-693 to send with your AOS packet. Your choice.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

I don't agree that everything needs to be memorized because it's really common sense, every single thing in there is about dates of birth, wedding date, addresses, school and work info, etc. I think the most important thing is just to make sure you're on the same page when it comes to each other's info such as previous marriages or relationships, if any, any info on children you may have, plans for the future, major events, trips or dates you have had in the past, things of that nature. Like I said, most of it is common sense but it's always a good idea to review it so that you're sure in case those questions are asked during the interview.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

This is one of the many reasons why a CR visa is superior to the K1 visa, less complicated and less expensive.

But anyway, before doing anything make sure you not only read the AOS guidelines here on VJ but most importantly, read the instructions for the I-485 which will have the most up-to-date information.

You can send one check for the amount of $1070. This fee covers the I-485, I-765 and I-131. Send everything in one packet.

You need to send form I-864 which is for the USCIS to review before approving your wife's AOS. They need to make sure she won't become a public charge to the US government while she's a permanent resident. The I-134 was for the US Embassy to review before approving her visa, which means the USCIS is not aware of your financial situation, only the embassy. If your employment situation changes by the time you file for AOS, you will need to get a co-sponsor.

The address where the AOS packet needs to be sent to (USCIS Chicago Lockbox) is on page 6 of the I-485 instructions.

She won't need another medical examination because the one she had done in Bogotá is valid for 12 months; however, some USCIS employees request form I-693 which needs to be signed by a USCIS approved civil surgeon. You have two options, since her medical is still valid you can send a copy of form DS-3025 (vaccination worksheet given to her in Bogotá) and wait to see if that is enough to ger her AOS approved, which is most cases it is. Or go to an approved civil surgeon so he/she can review her DS-3025 and sign form I-693 to send with your AOS packet. Your choice.

Diana

Thanks for the tips. I actually spend about an hour reading over the I-485 instruction packet, and finally came across the address. So since my fiancee is bringing all her paperwork and medical from her interview, she should have the DS3025 with her paperwork and that *should be enough, and if it's not will we just get an RFE and then we can go to the approved civil surgeon?

I'm assuming the I-864 should be a piece of cake to fill out since i still have copies of my IRS reports from the last 3 years.

Sounds like it should just be a matter of doing another couple hours worth of paperwork and writing the check for $1070

Thanks for the help

edit: oh i almost forgot..this I-94 form you said she would need. They give this to her on the plane? Don't they request to take it at customs, or do they give her a copy of it or what? Her english isn't great so I'm hoping she'll be able to get someone on the flight to help her. On my last flight back from Bogota I helped an 80 year old woman from San Andres fill out her paperwork, so hopefully karma will return the favor ;)

Edited by Ryan76

Timeline

Thanks for the tips. I actually spend about an hour reading over the I-485 instruction packet, and finally came across the address. So since my fiancee is bringing all her paperwork and medical from her interview, she should have the DS3025 with her paperwork and that *should be enough, and if it's not will we just get an RFE and then we can go to the approved civil surgeon?

I'm assuming the I-864 should be a piece of cake to fill out since i still have copies of my IRS reports from the last 3 years.

Sounds like it should just be a matter of doing another couple hours worth of paperwork and writing the check for $1070

Thanks for the help

edit: oh i almost forgot..this I-94 form you said she would need. They give this to her on the plane? Don't they request to take it at customs, or do they give her a copy of it or what? Her english isn't great so I'm hoping she'll be able to get someone on the flight to help her. On my last flight back from Bogota I helped an 80 year old woman from San Andres fill out her paperwork, so hopefully karma will return the favor ;)

That's correct, most people only send a copy of their DS-3025 and their AOS gets approved with only that document but if for some reason they want the I-693 they will just send you an RFE and all you have to do is have the civil surgeon fill it out and sign it based on her DS-3025.

The I-94 is given to all passengers arriving on non-immigrant visas as well as K visas for them to fill out before passing through immigration. You will need to send a copy of that form along with your I-485. And don't worry, it's available in English and Spanish.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.