pgupta

Getting Spouse after Marriage from India

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am US Citizen, will be going to india soon to get married.

What is the fastest way for my wife to come to US?

can she get visitor visa and come with me?

can she apply for visitor visa after i file I-130?

Filed: Timeline

You will need to file for an I-130, and after it is approved, she will have to apply for an immigrant visa. She can apply for anything she wants, but a visitor's visa application is likely to be denied because she intends to immigrate to the United States. Due to the fact that she intends to immigrate to the United States, she cannot come here on a fast track.

Edited by Kathryn41
edited to remove TOS violation

Timeline

Once you file for i-130 she will have to complete the process in India which should take 6-8 months and after that she can immigrate to US.

She is free to apply for any other non-immigrant visa she wants, most likely it would be denied as she has immigrant intent.

There is no such thing as fast track this is the standard process and time.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

You are a US citizen, you can do the following -

1. Go to Embassy and get a "No Objection Certificate" from Embassy. Embassy knows what to write there (take your US passport and Driving license with you)

2. Some marriage registrar are asking for this too

3. This certificate can help your future wife's immigration process a big time.

Good luck

Timeline

You are a US citizen, you can do the following -

1. Go to Embassy and get a "No Objection Certificate" from Embassy. Embassy knows what to write there (take your US passport and Driving license with you)

2. Some marriage registrar are asking for this too

3. This certificate can help your future wife's immigration process a big time.

Good luck

Thanks Deep, Can i get this certificate from US with me or i have to apply in India? Do you know how much time it takes to get this certificate.

Thanks Deep, Can i get this certificate from US with me or i have to apply in India? Do you know how much time it takes to get this certificate.

one more thing, do i have to take this before marriage or after marriage? do they write wife's name in no objection letter?

Timeline

There are a few things you could do.

1. Based on which part of India you're going to, set up an appointment with the American consulate in Delhi/Mumbai/Chennai for a No Objection Certificate prior to getting to India, so that you don't have to wait long. The NOC is basically if you're intending to get your marriage registered in India, with you being a foreign citizen.

- The NOC is basically to state that

a. You have not been married earlier.

b. If you were married earlier, that you have been legally divorced and are free to marry again.

- The NOC is to be obtained before the wedding and not after. It has nothing to do with your future wife and everything to do with you. When you go to the consulate for the NOC, pl carry copy of your divorce decree (if applicable), as well as original and copies of your passport and visa.

- When you fix an appointment at the consulate, make sure you mention it is for an NOC. You should get it on the same day.

- The NOC is to be obtained on arrival in India, and not in the US.

2. There's a way to bypass an NOC by getting in touch with a lawyer who could get your marriage registered according to the Hindu Marriage Act at a local panchayat or other such body, like we did.

3. I-130 is the way to go.

4. She cannot get a visitor's visa when her I-130 is underway.

5. Make sure you take enough pictures of the ceremony, before the ceremony, after the ceremony, with family, without family, honeymoon etc. for evidence purposes too.

6. If possible, get sworn affidavits from both sets of parents (if they attend the wedding) stating how long they've been aware of your relationship, that they were present for the wedding, etc.

7. Once you get back to the US and have filed her I-130, please also make sure that both of you keep a record of any money transfers that you do, any gifts/cards/letters that you send, email, skype, phone logs, etc for evidence purposes.

Hope that helps and good luck. If you have any queries, do feel free to ask. We're all in the same boat and more than willing to help.

I am US Citizen, will be going to india soon to get married.

What is the fastest way for my wife to come to US?

can she get visitor visa and come with me?

can she apply for visitor visa after i file I-130?

07/14/2011 Wedding

USCIS (187 days)

08/16/2011 I-130 filed

08/19/2011 NOA1
02/22/2012 NOA2

NVC (14 days)
03/08/2012 NVC case #, IIN, emailed DS-3032
03/13/2012 AOS invoiced & paid
03/14/2012 AOS package mailed
03/16/2012 DS-3032 acceptance
03/19/2012 IV bill invoiced and paid
03/20/2012 DS-230 package sent
03/22/2012 Case Complete
04/10/2012 Interview date assigned; packet IV received
MEDICALS/US CONSULATE/POE
05/02/2012 Medicals
05/09/2012 Interview APPROVED
05/11/2012 Visa in hand
05/24/2012 POE TORONTO
06/28/2012 Got SSN and Green Card

ROC

02/27/2014 Package sent

02/28/2014 NOA1

03/28/2014 Biometrics

06/20/2014 Approved

06/22/2014 Got the 10-yr GC
N-400

03/03/2015 Package sent

03/10/2015 Check encashed

03/13/2015 NOA

03/26/2015 Fingerprints

04/27/2015 In line

06/19/2015 Interview letter

07/23/2015 Interview

08/19/2015 Oath ceremony

Timeline

After reading about this a lot during my process, this is the steps i took so please take this with a grain of salt. :blush:

First of all, have your spouse hire a lawyer or setup appt with the people who do these things. Meaning people who take care of all the paperworks. They will know who to talk to and who to pay what fees to. Save you the headache for a fee that they charge. Make sure that the fee they are asking for includes everything. I think Fees could be from Rs.10,000 - over $20,000

Depending on how they know the system or how greedy they are :angry:

Before leaving, setup an appointment to get NOC and Print the appointment letter

Link https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=NWD&appcode=1

Steps:

1) Day 1: arrive in India

2) Day 2: Go to US embassy with the appt letter to get your NOC or No Objection letter, the fee was i think around $50 usd?

If they ask you have you married already, say No yet because you are going to get married.

3) Day 3: Get married via Religious Ceremony. (Take lots of pictures & develop the pictures)

4) Day 4: Go to Court and meetup with your agent to get the marriage certificate.

You both need: ID (passport ID?), Bring your pictures NOC, Cash to pay for fees. You should get 2 Marriage Certificate

Note: With Civil Wedding, i think you have to wait 30 days? but not with Religious ceremony wedding

http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/service/other-citizen-services/marriage.html

What you need to bring back from India:

1) Some passport style pictures of your spouse (maybe get 10 just to be safe, 2x2 white background).

It's cheap so why not get your passport photos done here also

2) g-325a Biographic application signed & dated by your spouse

3) Any travel receipts from India showing you guys have spent time together etc...

4) Lots and lots of photos with your spouse and his/her relatives and friends and from travels together

5) Original marriage certificate & Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate, leave 1 of the original marriage certificate for your spouse, he/she might need it later

6) Certified of your spouse's Birth Certificate

7) Copy of your spouse's passport,just the biographic page (will need it later on, many months later at NVC).

There are lots and lots of document later on but the above I think should be a good steps to take.

Later on you need a spouse signed: DS-3032 and DS-230 (Signed and date part 1 only, not part2)

Hope this helps you! and best of luck! :thumbs:

ps: feel free to correct me if you think i'm wrong.

one more thing, do i have to take this before marriage or after marriage? do they write wife's name in no objection letter?

Edited by VisaJourney2011

Timeline

After reading about this a lot during my process, this is the steps i took so please take this with a grain of salt. :blush:

First of all, have your spouse hire a lawyer or setup appt with the people who do these things. Meaning people who take care of all the paperworks. They will know who to talk to and who to pay what fees to. Save you the headache for a fee that they charge. Make sure that the fee they are asking for includes everything. I think Fees could be from Rs.10,000 - over $20,000

Depending on how they know the system or how greedy they are :angry:

Before leaving, setup an appointment to get NOC and Print the appointment letter

Link https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=NWD&appcode=1

Steps:

1) Day 1: arrive in India

2) Day 2: Go to US embassy with the appt letter to get your NOC or No Objection letter, the fee was i think around $50 usd?

If they ask you have you married already, say No yet because you are going to get married.

3) Day 3: Get married via Religious Ceremony. (Take lots of pictures & develop the pictures)

4) Day 4: Go to Court and meetup with your agent to get the marriage certificate.

You both need: ID (passport ID?), Bring your pictures NOC, Cash to pay for fees. You should get 2 Marriage Certificate

Note: With Civil Wedding, i think you have to wait 30 days? but not with Religious ceremony wedding

http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/service/other-citizen-services/marriage.html

What you need to bring back from India:

1) Some passport style pictures of your spouse (maybe get 10 just to be safe, 2x2 white background).

It's cheap so why not get your passport photos done here also

2) g-325a Biographic application signed & dated by your spouse

3) Any travel receipts from India showing you guys have spent time together etc...

4) Lots and lots of photos with your spouse and his/her relatives and friends and from travels together

5) Original marriage certificate & Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate, leave 1 of the original marriage certificate for your spouse, he/she might need it later

6) Certified of your spouse's Birth Certificate

7) Copy of your spouse's passport,just the biographic page (will need it later on, many months later at NVC).

There are lots and lots of document later on but the above I think should be a good steps to take.

Later on you need a spouse signed: DS-3032 and DS-230 (Signed and date part 1 only, not part2)

Hope this helps you! and best of luck! :thumbs:

ps: feel free to correct me if you think i'm wrong.

Thanks all for your help in understanding the process, i think it is discreminatory policy which goes against US Citizens that they have to wait and live without their spouce for so long, but H1B and L1 Visa holders can bring their spouce with them. not fair.....

Timeline

Thanks all for your help in understanding the process, i think it is discreminatory policy which goes against US Citizens that they have to wait and live without their spouce for so long, but H1B and L1 Visa holders can bring their spouce with them. not fair.....

H1 and L1 spouse are not going to live in the country forever, your spouse is going to live here forever there are different process for both of that.

So there is no comparing between your spouse getting visa and H1 or L1s spouse getting visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.