Stuart and Thea

I hate Montreal....etc...

18 posts in this topic

Can I just start a topic for us Canadians to just vent in? I HATE this whole freaking process. I HATE that his ex wife held up his divorce for 4 months. I hate that they screwed up his paperwork and made it another month on top of that till we could file. I hate that our papers ended up in another dimension when we filed in January. I hate that when we filed in March, it took 2 months to get an NOA1. I hate that Montreal is so slow with appointments even though I was lucky in mine, many others were not. I hate hate hate hate... (really, gonna swear here and mods you can block it out but I really really have to....) that they ###### up our visa processing once again and we're still waiting for our papers tonight.

I'm supposed to be with him now.

I took their estimate and doubled it knowing that it was sometimes taking extra time for them to process, and with our track record, figured on being one of the ones with the bad luck. He was supposed to fly up today, and would have been here an hour ago, then we were going to move this weekend. But because they can't even tell us what is going on, can't tell us ANYTHING.... we cancelled until further notice. I haven't seen him in 6 months. I should be with him NOW.....

God, I (yes, moderate this one too) ###### hate Montreal for being so freaking slow!!!

anyone else???

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, I have no doubt there are numerous people on here,that have anger or hated issues toward the Montreal consulate. It seems to be three basic categories to apply

A. It seems you either are "lucky" and get through the whole process - no problems at all or any RFE'S in the entire process :D

B."somewhat lucky" maybe an RFE or two, possibly delayed or lost mail etc. :angry:

C. or just plain "unlucky" - a whole lotta problems/RFE'S - any or everything you can possibly imagine could go wrong, in the entire process. :crying:

We are basically category B. - never received packet 3 as of today, but because of this site knew not to wait for it and sent it ourselves - thank you VJ'S !!!

Had additional paperwork requested AFTER our NOA2/ petiton was approved for proof of her residency - AGAIN don't know what they did with it the first time.

Had to wait 5 days days for them to say they didn't charge us for the MRV fee/scheduling, but when we called consulate they said they couldn't help us & wouldn't let us book or schedule an interview, UNTIL it was determined or corrected on the (CSC)end. Then they consulate asked us if there was anything they could help us with, except scheduling - LOL. Still all in all I am very greatful because compared to some other people's experiences here, we are lucky to be where were at in spite of Montreal's blunders. It will all work out and when it is done you can leave it behind you for the rest of your life and NOT look back. Keep you spirits up as you near the end of this part of "your Journey"

k1-ProcesS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Some other things I forgot to mention like you,the Montreal blunders also cost us at least 5-6 weeks total processing time,not as much as you, but enough to mess up our plans as well. We were already planning on her being here with the family for our marriage and holiday season, but now it will definitely be after the holiday season like mid to late January at least. We missed all of the earlier December interviews before 12/11 dates because of the Fee issue & had to schedule a later appointment. Our interview and the visa processing will take place during the Christmas & New Years vacation breaks, so heavens only knows how much longer that will take, hmmm maybe We are a catergory C after all !!! -LOL :P

Just wanted to try and cheer you up and let you know that you aren't the only one feeling this way with the holiday seasons coming up.

k1-ProcesS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

oh i feel you everything that could go wrong with our case went wrong i haven't seen my husband since july he's on deployment right now so i can't even talk to him and ive been looking after our son practically all by myself since he was born my husband could only come twice a month and the odd vacation time before he got moved for work. right now were super confused bc everything that has been sent lately has been contradictory and i don't know how im suppose to do the interview in montreal we don't have much money my son doesn't sit still for long at all and i'm suppose to fly across the country for 6 hours there and 6 hours back

Edited by benjamin10

That's another thing that really bugs me, Canada may not have a very large population for it's size, but we're freaking HUGE.... and we're super close to the US, so there are a LOT of ways for us to meet people from south of the border and potentially fall in love. You'd think that they would let more than just TWO consulates work on this so that people don't have to go so far. I was really surprised to learn that they didn't do it in Toronto, but when I learned that it was ONLY Montreal or Vancouver that did it, I stopped being so upset about it considering I had a lot less to travel to Montreal than a lot of people do. As to cost... well, you have to factor in time off work too, don't you?? It's ridiculous. I don't know why more people don't try to do this the wrong way, such as going, getting married and adjusting status. I was scared to go that route myself, considering what COULD go wrong, and knowing how our lucks been, we would have ended up me back in Canada with a ban on going there. Glad we didn't tempt it but I totally get why other people do

Thank goodness for this site though, it's saved a ton of us. I thought I was being good by doubling the amount of time it took to get the papers, but really should have waited till they came. Not so much for the notice at work thing, I still have a lot that I can do around the house to get it sold, so it's kind of okay that way, but just for planning. I'm super freaked out right now that for some reason, I won't get the papers at all, or they'll come but not in time to get a marriage license before the ceremony, or that it will be after the ceremony and everyone will be out money.

Last night was really really hard. I felt like I did when I had to leave him at the airport. It's not supposed to be like this. Seriously, did any of you have any clue that being Canadian, and "such good friends" with the US accounted for nothing when it comes to spousal/fiance visas? I mean, we didn't even need a passport to visit a few years ago... I fully expected a police and background check, but didn't consider at all that we'd be subject to scrutiny on this level and told to wait so long. We're actually a lot longer than a lot of countries for wait times, I thought the opposite would have been true.

All I know is that I no longer have internet or phone tomorrow, so will have to resort to going to mom's house to follow up on my paperwork. I'll have to keep calling DHL everyday 'in case' it comes in, because they will no longer have any way to contact me to let me know it's there. I'm not counting on an email, and would like to hedge my bets that they get it long before I ever get notified about a waybill....

Feels good to rant on here though,, anyone else, please please join in.... let the bashing begin!

May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 30 2012 - NOA4

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call

Timeline

I completely understand how you feel. My husband and I have just started the process (just mailed in our I-130 today yea!) but I have been on this website for man months researching and I know how bad it can be. My husband crosses over every weekend to come and see me (windsor to michigan) and he gets the worst hassle every single time. Enough already. They know all the answers to all the questions they ask him. He even has a Nexus pass and they still pull him in. I can't wait until we don't have to do this anymore. Can't we just live together already? Good luck to you.

Married 10-27-2011

I-130 Sent : 11-12-2011

I-130 NOA1 : 11-22-2011

I-130 Approved : 5-25-2012

NVC Received : 6-19-2012

Received NVC Case # : 6-22-2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 7-9-2012

Pay I-864 Bill 7-9-2012

Receive I-864 Package : 7-10-2012

Return Completed I-864 :7-10-2012

Receive IV Bill : 7-17-2012

Pay IV Bill : 7-18-2012

Emailed DS-260: 7-22-2012

RFE: 7-30-2012

Sent RFE docs: 7-31-2012

Case Complete 8-7-2012

Interview Date: 9-24-2012

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!! YEA!!

POE:9/29/2012

as1cJWP0g410500MDAwMTQwOGx8MDAwOT dzfHNpbmNlIHdlIGdvdCBtYXJyaWVk.gif

event.png [/url][/img]

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Errm This makes more stressed than I ever was before. I have completely counted on my visa to arrive two weeks (at the most) after my interview. I have to give up my apartment in January and if I don't get my visa before then, I will have to move to my mothers which is 1 hour away from where I live. Meaning, I have to be unemployed in Canada. :( I really hope this does not happen to me.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation that's really unfortunate and I'm sure all of us here have experience some frustration with this whole process.

It really sucks not knowing when you can plan your wedding. My friends and family always ask when it is and I just want to scream out "Don't F***ing ask! I don't know".

Timeline

It's been 5 months and 1 day since NOA1... I have all my paperwork scanned in to the computer and ready to shoot off that e-mail to NVC, when they catch up to me!

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Honestly, dealing with Montreal is one of my worst fears for when we start all the paperwork. I keep hoping and wishing that one of the western Consulates will start interviewing for CR-1/IR-1 applicants - my dream location would be Calgary. The cost of flights within Canada are HORRIBLE! And being stuck in Montreal for a week to do the medical and interviews is going to be very costly. We are a very large country and it's strange that they only have those locations open for K-1 and only Montreal for CR-1.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not Canadian, but I do need to vent. We received the letter letting us know that we can schedule an interview appointment. We did just that (with some trouble - payment was made and withdrawn but wasn't registered on the site) and we have an appointment for 11/28. It was great news for us! We made the appointment over 2 weeks ago and we have not received the confirmation appointment letter yet. I called DOS today to see where it was at or if it had been sent, it hasn't been sent. The lady, who sounded new and didn't seem like she knew what she was talking about, told me the case is in administrative processing. When I asked questions I knew I wasn't going to get answers to, she said that all case status shows administrative processing until the beneficiary is issued the visa. I do not know how their computer screen reads, but that didn't sound right. So I emailed the consulate and we will see what happens.

I have already purchased plane tickets, made hotel reservations, and took time off from work so I can be there with my fiancee during the interview. I have no idea how long this administrative processing will take, since we are only a couple of weeks away from the interview. Now I am having thoughts of what to do if it runs long and we have to reschedule. I hope they will be able to get answer my email relatively quickly so I can make adjustments as needed.

Met online - 12/2008

Met in Person 1st Time - 2/2009

Engaged - 12/2009

Filed I-129F - 3/27/11

Received Electronic NOA 1 - 4/7/11

NOA 2 - 6/29/11 (83 days from NOA 1)

RFE 8/15/11 (Needed proof that Fiancee is in Canada legally, Philippine citizen)

Packet 3 - 9/6/11

Packet 4 - Never Received

Interview 12/1/11

You should be able to check on the CSC site about the interview, I think you can even view the appointment confirmation page, at least that will give you a little peace of mind about the date. If in doubt, contact a senator, a girl that was at the embassy with me did that and they got her an appointment a week later.

Montreal still has nothing for me. Stuart is going to contact his senate office tomorrow, if there's still nothing. This is ridiculous, people are nice enough, but there is no one to talk to before it's done, to ask why it's not done yet. Also, I heard from someone who's fiance took 5 weeks to get their visa after the interview, yikes, I want to make it to my wedding, and am really really worried now...

On a plus note, I'm having trouble eating due to stress, so I likely won't have to do that last minute dash to lose five pounds to make the wedding dress look perfect! (gotta find SOME good in this....)

May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 30 2012 - NOA4

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call

Timeline

Honestly, dealing with Montreal is one of my worst fears for when we start all the paperwork. I keep hoping and wishing that one of the western Consulates will start interviewing for CR-1/IR-1 applicants - my dream location would be Calgary. The cost of flights within Canada are HORRIBLE! And being stuck in Montreal for a week to do the medical and interviews is going to be very costly. We are a very large country and it's strange that they only have those locations open for K-1 and only Montreal for CR-1.

Calgary would be awesome. We'd be a c-train ride away.

I don't think the US government realizes Canada is the second largest country in the world. Nor do they care...

You're not kidding about the price of flights. It's cheaper to fly round trip from Tennessee to Calgary out of a small regional airport, than it is to fly round trip from Calgary to Winnipeg.

But I am looking forward to a week in Montreal, neither one of us has ever been there.

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Timeline

Hi. I am so sorry for folks having such a hard time playing the stupid waiting game. I agree with everything everyone has said, but I did just want to throw it out there for newbies who may have a heart attack reading everything so far: me and my husband have had no problems (aside for the ridiculous waiting between things). We've had no RFEs, we've had no delays as a result of loss or misfiling, and everything has actually been pretty reasonable.

I'm not bragging or throwing it in anyone's faces, as we still have the interview and the wait for the physical visa ahead of us, but so far, so good.

Whenever I've gotten frustrated or upset during this process, I keep in mind the travails of others far worse than our own. I am so grateful my husband is Canadian and not Pakistani or Libyan or something else "high-risk." Definitely, along the way, I've been angry and thought, "But he's just a Canadian!!" and the truth is because of that, this has been far easier.

I'm very grateful for this website!!

USC attempting to obtain GC for Canadian husband

event.png

Apr 11, 2011: I-130 filed
Jul 11, 2011: I-130 approved
Aug 18, 2011: NVC process begins
Oct 6, 2011: NVC process completed
Nov 4, 2011: Interview date assigned
Dec 2, 2011: Interview at Consulate (Result: AP - No reason given on 221g)
Feb 7, 2012: Passport requested by Consulate
(...Husband needed passport for personal reasons during this time...)
Apr 9, 2012: Passport mailed to Consulate
Apr 25, 2012: Visa issued
May 1, 2012: Visa in hand
May 31, 2012: POE at Montreal's Trudeau Airport
Early July: Physical Green Card received in mail. Yes, it's green!

March 13, 2014: ROC filed (went to VSC)

March 17, 2014: NOA

April 22, 2014: Biometrics appointment

December 9, 2014: Case inquiry initiated

December 11, 2014: Response: "The processing of your case has been delayed. A check of our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required security checks remain pending."

March 14, 2014: Received NOA that approval had been given on March 10; expect new GC within 60 days.

Just so you know, this is the I hate Montreal thread, you're SUPPOSED to complain in it! There are all those other feel good threads out there where people can smile and look pretty and be happy because everything went well, but that's not THIS thread.

By the way, were you truly satisfied with how things went? Really? It takes WAY too long, and they have FAR too few people to process these petitions. Besides, Montreal starts after NOA2 and all the way till the Visa's in your hand, so hopefully you don't have any hiccups with the rest of the Montreal portion.

For the Newbies reading this thread, yes, there is LOTS of things that are going to piss you off about this process, from the moment you send your first petition in. Montreal is just one of the parts along the way.

And, yes, even if it's all rainbows and unicorns for your petition, you still have to put up with waiting, waiting, waiting.

Now get back to venting people! It's cathartic!

Edited by Stuart and Thea

May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 30 2012 - NOA4

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call

Timeline

I'm sorry you're so frustrated. I hope you get your visa really soon, because it is ridiculous how long you've been waiting, and you really should be here by now.

USC attempting to obtain GC for Canadian husband

event.png

Apr 11, 2011: I-130 filed
Jul 11, 2011: I-130 approved
Aug 18, 2011: NVC process begins
Oct 6, 2011: NVC process completed
Nov 4, 2011: Interview date assigned
Dec 2, 2011: Interview at Consulate (Result: AP - No reason given on 221g)
Feb 7, 2012: Passport requested by Consulate
(...Husband needed passport for personal reasons during this time...)
Apr 9, 2012: Passport mailed to Consulate
Apr 25, 2012: Visa issued
May 1, 2012: Visa in hand
May 31, 2012: POE at Montreal's Trudeau Airport
Early July: Physical Green Card received in mail. Yes, it's green!

March 13, 2014: ROC filed (went to VSC)

March 17, 2014: NOA

April 22, 2014: Biometrics appointment

December 9, 2014: Case inquiry initiated

December 11, 2014: Response: "The processing of your case has been delayed. A check of our records establishes that your case is not yet ready for decision, as the required security checks remain pending."

March 14, 2014: Received NOA that approval had been given on March 10; expect new GC within 60 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.