danielleNJ

Police checks for K1 - Sydney, AUS

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello all! Hope everyone is having a great day.

Tried to look for some information on this here but couldn't seem to find quite what I was looking for!

My fiance and I are still waiting on our NOA2 (September filers). Can he go ahead and get his police check done now?

Can any other Aussies fill me in on how to go about getting the police check done. How to set it up/what is involved/cost? Also, what documentation he needs to get from it.

Any answers would really help me a lot!

Thanks so much!

Danielle

Which state is he in? There is information in the Australia/NZ forum about police checks in different states. He can get a police check anytime but I wouldn't advise getting it until NOA2 just in case there is a delay - you wouldn't want it to expire and then have to get another one. There is information on the Canberra embassy website but some of it is out of date (at least for Victoria).

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/obtain_police_cert.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Tried to look for some information on this here but couldn't seem to find quite what I was looking for!

My fiance and I are still waiting on our NOA2 (September filers). Can he go ahead and get his police check done now?

Can any other Aussies fill me in on how to go about getting the police check done. How to set it up/what is involved/cost? Also, what documentation he needs to get from it.

Thanks so much!

Danielle

As you only filed in September you still have a ways to go yet for approval/. He can start to get things together now > The police and medical report are valid for 12 months so I would not start any of this till end Dec / Jan 2012, The police report he just has to call the local police station and make an appointment with them for fingerprinting tell them it is for a fiance visa and it was about $145 All this info is on the US consulate web site for the Aussies. I have also been told that after the police report is done it is sent directly to the consulate but I would ask for it to be sent to his home address as it normally takes about 4 weeks to be returned and you don't want it going to the consulate when you haven't been approved yet. They wont know who it is for. If he is in Sydney he can organise a medical with Dr Waks in George St this also is on the web site.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Hi Danielle,

I'm at the NVC stage for a CR-1 and had mine done 2 days ago in Sydney, I followed the steps to the dot as per from the US Embassy guidelines at:

- Complete Form P800 (Full Disclosure), there is a link to a read-write PDF copy on the website.

- Make sure you tick the 'name, date of birth and fingerprint check' box, and your address as the address to send the certificate to. The Police told me they will send it to me and not to the US Embassy as I did not have a letter from the US embassy specifically asking for it. You may have to ask to confirm.

- Go to your local police station for the fingerprints, pay $175. Credit cards are OK.

- Fingerprints will be taken and sign the official-looking paper with the fingerprint images from the machine.

- Your local police station will send the form and the fingerprints to a Police Office in Parramatta where the national police check will be done.

- Expect the certificate in the mail 10-15 working days.

Hope that helps.

Richard

Thanks so much!

Danielle

Timeline

Hello Danielle,

I have recently had my police check done, I had no problem with the process and my certificate was sent to me in 14 days.

If your fiance lives in Victoria, he can go to the police web site www.police.vic.gov.au, all the information is there as to where he can go to have it all done and contact details to make his appointment.

The police check cost is $137 here in Victoria, to be paid by cheque or money order.

Firstly he needs to get the application form, from his local police station, or download and print from the above web site.

Fill this out and gather his proof of identity documents,Passport or Drivers licence ect. (There is a complete list of what is excepted on the form)

The proof of identity will need to be certified, I asked the police officer at my local police station to do this. (There is also a list of who is authorised to certify documents on the form)

The fingerprints are to be done by livescan, he must make an appointment for this.

He will need to call the phone number listed on the web site to make an appointment, inform them that you want a Federal-National Police check done and that it is for a US K1 Fiance Visa.

I was able to have my fingerprints done at my local police station. (The above web site

lists what police stations do the fingerprints)

The person who did the fingerprints took my forms and payment as well, it was all sent of from there and I received the certificate by regular post.

The police check is valid for 12 months from date of certificate issue.

Hope this helps you both.

:)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

My policecheck, which was done in QLD, was $169.05 (Yeah really, five cents...). You just go into a police station and say you need a police check with fingerprints, and if they ask why, say it's for visa purposes. Fill out a form, take some fingerprints, all is well! :D

I applied for mine on the 27th July, and they sent it out to me on the 2nd August. Which would've been GREAT except... I did have issues with my neighbours stealing my mail though :angry: , so I didn't end up getting it until September sometime because I emailed them and asked where the heck it was (Because I didn't write on the form to send it to the consulate, although I've read that they do. But I don't think they did in my case.) so they had to send me another one! Lol.

I wouldn't get it done just yet though, since you only applied in September.

30th March 2011 - I-129F sent!

8th April 2011 - NOA1 Hardcopy recieved.

24th June 2011 - NOA2!!! [80 days]

30th June 2011 - NOA2 Hardcopy received.

27th July 2011 - Packet 3 instructions emailed to me!

27th July 2011 - Get my Police check done. 3-4 weeks? omg!

19th August 2011 - Medical!

22nd August 2011 - Medical results, passed!

29th August 2011 - i-134's arrived! Waiting on Police check. Emailed Consulate to see if they have it. :/

15th September 2011 - Finally send off packet 3! Neighbour stole first police check, form in i-134 was wrong and had to be resent, but it's all FINALLY on its way to Sydney! :)

22nd September 2011 - Packet 4 Received!

25th October 2011 - INTERVIEW! Eek!

25th October 2011 - Approved! :) Just need to mail my LONG birth certificate out so they can verify it and send the visa. Lol.

26th October 2011 - Birth certificate arrived in Sydney. Now to wait for my visa!!! :)

1st November 2011 - Visa Recieved!! :)

30th November 2011 - POE

19th January 2012 - Wedding

3rd February 2012 - Applied for SSN in maiden name

10th February 2012 - SSN arrived in mail

14th September 2012: Finally have the money saved up for AOS after a tough year. Going to start paperwork soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

event.png

Thanks for the info to everyone in this thread! I'm a month behind danielle in our timeline but I was also wondering these things :) Will give this thread to my other half so he will have it too! Also wishing a good luck to danielle, hope all goes well! <3

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Timeline

Which state is he in? There is information in the Australia/NZ forum about police checks in different states. He can get a police check anytime but I wouldn't advise getting it until NOA2 just in case there is a delay - you wouldn't want it to expire and then have to get another one. There is information on the Canberra embassy website but some of it is out of date (at least for Victoria).

He's in NSW. From what I've read the police checks seem to be good for a year. And take about 15-30 days to process! Correct?

Thanks for the help!

Timeline

As you only filed in September you still have a ways to go yet for approval/. He can start to get things together now > The police and medical report are valid for 12 months so I would not start any of this till end Dec / Jan 2012, The police report he just has to call the local police station and make an appointment with them for fingerprinting tell them it is for a fiance visa and it was about $145 All this info is on the US consulate web site for the Aussies. I have also been told that after the police report is done it is sent directly to the consulate but I would ask for it to be sent to his home address as it normally takes about 4 weeks to be returned and you don't want it going to the consulate when you haven't been approved yet. They wont know who it is for. If he is in Sydney he can organise a medical with Dr Waks in George St this also is on the web site.

Thank's Barbara! Just trying to make sure I understand everything so I can get it all done as soon as possible after receiving my NOA2 (whenever that may be). And does he just bring the police check in to the interview or will he have to send it in with packet 3? Thanks for all your help!

Hi Danielle,

I'm at the NVC stage for a CR-1 and had mine done 2 days ago in Sydney, I followed the steps to the dot as per from the US Embassy guidelines at:

- Complete Form P800 (Full Disclosure), there is a link to a read-write PDF copy on the website.

- Make sure you tick the 'name, date of birth and fingerprint check' box, and your address as the address to send the certificate to. The Police told me they will send it to me and not to the US Embassy as I did not have a letter from the US embassy specifically asking for it. You may have to ask to confirm.

- Go to your local police station for the fingerprints, pay $175. Credit cards are OK.

- Fingerprints will be taken and sign the official-looking paper with the fingerprint images from the machine.

- Your local police station will send the form and the fingerprints to a Police Office in Parramatta where the national police check will be done.

- Expect the certificate in the mail 10-15 working days.

Hope that helps.

Richard

Very helpful! Thanks so much for the link! So they sent the police check to your home address and not to the consulate?

Timeline

Hello Danielle,

I have recently had my police check done, I had no problem with the process and my certificate was sent to me in 14 days.

If your fiance lives in Victoria, he can go to the police web site www.police.vic.gov.au, all the information is there as to where he can go to have it all done and contact details to make his appointment.

The police check cost is $137 here in Victoria, to be paid by cheque or money order.

Firstly he needs to get the application form, from his local police station, or download and print from the above web site.

Fill this out and gather his proof of identity documents,Passport or Drivers licence ect. (There is a complete list of what is excepted on the form)

The proof of identity will need to be certified, I asked the police officer at my local police station to do this. (There is also a list of who is authorised to certify documents on the form)

The fingerprints are to be done by livescan, he must make an appointment for this.

He will need to call the phone number listed on the web site to make an appointment, inform them that you want a Federal-National Police check done and that it is for a US K1 Fiance Visa.

I was able to have my fingerprints done at my local police station. (The above web site

lists what police stations do the fingerprints)

The person who did the fingerprints took my forms and payment as well, it was all sent of from there and I received the certificate by regular post.

The police check is valid for 12 months from date of certificate issue.

Hope this helps you both.

:)

Thank you very much! He's in NSW. But i'm sure the processes are very similar! Seems like it's one of the least complicated things about the K1! What stage are you at in your visa?

Timeline

My policecheck, which was done in QLD, was $169.05 (Yeah really, five cents...). You just go into a police station and say you need a police check with fingerprints, and if they ask why, say it's for visa purposes. Fill out a form, take some fingerprints, all is well! :D

I applied for mine on the 27th July, and they sent it out to me on the 2nd August. Which would've been GREAT except... I did have issues with my neighbours stealing my mail though :angry: , so I didn't end up getting it until September sometime because I emailed them and asked where the heck it was (Because I didn't write on the form to send it to the consulate, although I've read that they do. But I don't think they did in my case.) so they had to send me another one! Lol.

I wouldn't get it done just yet though, since you only applied in September.

Thank you! Everyone here is so helpful!

That sucks that your neighbor stole your mail! But thankfully you got it in the end!

He's not going to have it done quite yet. Probably in the start of the new year cause I'd like to think I'll have my NOA2 in mid-January to mid-February!

Timeline

Thanks for the info to everyone in this thread! I'm a month behind danielle in our timeline but I was also wondering these things :) Will give this thread to my other half so he will have it too! Also wishing a good luck to danielle, hope all goes well! <3

Good luck to you too!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank's Barbara! Just trying to make sure I understand everything so I can get it all done as soon as possible after receiving my NOA2 (whenever that may be). And does he just bring the police check in to the interview or will he have to send it in with packet 3? Thanks for all your help!

Very helpful! Thanks so much for the link! So they sent the police check to your home address and not to the consulate?

Danielle he will want to get this done before you get NOA2 approval cause then there will be no delay. Yes the police report is valid for 12months and can be sent to his home address. He will then send that off with all his paperwork from packet 3 it's all included in the list on US consulate site Aus. He can get all this done beginning of the new year no worries. Then when you get approval the petition is then sent on to NVC for a case number then on to SYdney all up about 2 weeks. Then you will get email about packet 3 , you email him with the link they will send and he then prints off all the forms and signs what needs to be signed and have it all ready with his BC and so on passport copies and so on. If the medical and police report are done then he just pops them in the envelope with everything else and no time wasted.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.