Duders

Immunizations

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!

I got a blood test done to see what shots I needed. Tdap didn't even show up on the results, and MMR was low or indeterminate. However, when I called to schedule an appointment at my public health unit, they said since I had documented shots for both already, I didn't need to get more and they wouldn't give them to me.

I do have an immunization card stating I had the shots as a child, but if my blood test says I'm no longer immune, will this card be enough? If it's not enough and at the medical exam they say I need them, will they simply give me the shots or send me away?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Samantha (CANADA) and Daniel (USA)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there!

I went through trying to determine what immunizations I needed. When it comes to the Tdap immunization, the info I found out was that you had to have had 3 of these in your lifetime, one of which HAD to be within the past 10 years, though one of the below sites said within the past 2 years. With regards to the MMR, I was told by the Public Health nurse in my home province that it is recommended that you have at least 2 in your lifetime.

Check out the links below - they may give you better info:

http://www.wokingmedical.com/Vaccinations.html

http://www.panelphysicians.com/Pages/Age6.htm

Truthfully, it wouldn't hurt to get an update of your Tdap and MMR, preferably in your home province as it MAY be free. They should be able to do it at your medical, however, it will cost you more $$$.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
11/26/2010: Marriage (Marlborough, CT on Black Friday)
USCIS
02/04/2011 I-130: Sent
02/10/2011 I-130: NOA1
05/16/2010 I-130: NOA2 (I-130 Approved)
NVC (Electronic)
05/17/2011: NVC Received
06/11-14/2011: OPT IN for EP (accepted 06/14/2011)/Completed DS-261/Pay I-864 Bill
06/15/2011: Receive IV Bill
06/21/2011: Pay IV Bill
06/23/2011: I-864EZ Completed & Submitted
07/15/2011: DS-260 Submitted
08/04/2011: Scanned documents submitted
08/16/2011: Case Completed at NVC
MONTREAL
08/16-17/2011: Consulate Received/Packet 4 Received
Medical: 09/23/2011 (Medisys in Montreal)
Interview Date: 09/28/2011 (APPROVED!)
Left Montreal for Kitchener, ON to see my sister: 09/29/2011 (wife and stepdaughter arrive 10/08/2011 for Canadian Thanksgiving)
Visa Received at DHL in Kitchener/Waterloo: 10/03/2011
US
10/11/2011 : POE - Niagara Falls, NY via the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge
10/21/2011 : SSN Received
10/21/2011(#1)/10/31/2011(#2)/ 11/03/2011(#3): Welcome letters received
11/05/2011: Permanent green card received with errors in 'Resident since' and 'Expires' dates as both have the wrong year - new card needed
01/25/2012: Biometrics taken at ASC in East Hartford, CT for replacement permanent green card
02/16/2012: Notification of replacement green card production
02/22/2012: New green card sent
02/23/2012: Received new green card with correct information

ROC (Vermont Service Center)

10/09/2013: I-751 sent

10/11/2013: Check cashed

10/15/2013: Received NOA1

10/23/2013: Received biometrics appointment letter for 11/14/2013, during the week of family vacation. Reschedule request submitted.

11/04/2013: Received new biometrics appointment letter for 11/22/2013.

11/20/2013: Received notification that case was transferred to California Service Center (Notice date 11/15/2013)

11/22/2013: Biometrics appointment - informed card should be received in 3 - 6 months

03/20/2014: Received RFE (dated 03/13/2014)

As an adult in Alberta you are entitled to boosters through the Public Health Office: https://myhealth.alberta.ca/find-health-care/services/Pages/profile.aspx?SERVICEID=5825. You are supposed to have a booster of Tdap and MMR every 10 years according to the Health Canada website. I got mine for free through the public health nurse when my daughter was small and then again 10 years later.

If the public health nurse is being uncooperative then you could always try a Travel Health Clinic or a family Doctor: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/yf-fj/clinic-clinique/ab-eng.php

Good luck!

Timeline

Tdap - you can't test for all of these. I can't remember which one doesn't show up, but anyway you need a shot every 10 years. The health unit WILL NOT give you Tdap, you need to get it at a travel clinic. It costs about $40.

MMR - you require 2 shots to be immune. All you need is your immunization record and if you only have 1 shot then you tell them you need your second shot and bring the record to show them. This is free if you haven't had 2 shots.

Varicella - All you need to do is state the year you had chicken pox. If you haven't had it, the blood test will show "not immune". Bring this to the health unit and they will give you the shots for free. It's 2 shots 4 weeks apart. This shot is free.

I had a hugeeeee run around from the health unit here in BC. Ask a million questions and call more than one place to make sure you get the correct answers. I told one health unit I hadn't had chicken pox and she REFUSED to make an appointment for me to get it, even though I had a blood test saying I wasn't immune. Called another health unit and I was booked there with no issues and they even told me I had some shots done incorrectly. :bonk:

Edited by dukeandduchess

In the US its even more confusing. Most states dont follow federal guidelines and supplement or delete requirements. Then we have county and local health offices that look up requirements using a 5 year old guidebook.

Edited by Brian_N_Phuong

Timeline

MMR - you require 2 shots to be immune. All you need is your immunization record and if you only have 1 shot then you tell them you need your second shot and bring the record to show them. This is free if you haven't had 2 shots.

Thank you so much~

Now I'm wondering if you could answer me something else. I know on the Woking Medical website it specially says you need MMR (not "MR" or "MM"). However, on my records, I've have one shot of Mumps and Rubella ('87) and two shots of Measles ('87 and '97). Would you happen to know if that means I only need one shot Mumps and Rubella? I just want to understand this before I go to my doc so I know how to explain. Maybe I'm confused and don't know what I'm talking about, this stuff is hard, ha.

Edited by Duders

Samantha (CANADA) and Daniel (USA)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.