Kedron & Jess

What you need to know about Medical Examination

1 post in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Just had my medical yesterday and thought I'd share my process with those of you who are nervous/want more information...

My appointment was at 09.50 at Bentinck Mansions, I arrived at 09.20. From the tube at Bond Street Station the little map with the medical info was exactly right and easy to follow!

I went to reception where they asked me for the following:

-Passport (which they copy)

-1 passport sized photograph (UK or American standard size are both accepted)

-Police certificate (which they also copy)

-Medical questionnaire

-Vaccine record ( I had asked my GP for a print out of my vaccines which I had had on time when required from birth so if you haven't missed a regular vaccine you should be fine, I also took my copy of hep B status from my job and my copy of my recent flu shot from work)

They then gave me another medical questionnaire, the same as the one I had already completed but on official paper which I filled out in the waiting room and returned to the receptionist. I waited for about 5mins in the waiting room before being called for x-ray.

The radiographer asked me to remove my clothes from the waist up and put on the robe provided. Then I stood for my X-ray and once finished I was sent to a second waiting room and told the doctor would call me shortly. (waited another 5mins).

When the doctor called me, I was taken to a consulting room where she went through my medical questionnaire. I had to sign a the questionnaire and then she did the examination which consisted of the following:

-Measuring of my height and weight

-A sight test (cover one eye, read the board, cover the other eye etc)

Then I was taken to the examination bed...

-examined my ears, eyes and throat (not very thoroughly, I can only describe it as a quick look)

and then asked to lie down...

-blood pressure was taken

-listening to my heart and lungs

-abdomenal examination

-and then again what i can only describe as a quick look, down my underwear! (bizarre!!!)

The doctor then took a blood sample, I asked what this was testing for and was told it only tested for one thing, syphillis!

I put all my clothes back on and was asked to go back to the first waiting room.

A girl from reception then called me through again and I made the payment. She returned ALL my documents and presented me with a receipt and a "vaccination worksheet" which she told me to keep safe although I would NOT need it for anything else to do with the visa but I would need it when applying for jobs in America when the time comes.

I was advised that if anything was wrong or needed further information, I would be contacted within 2 working days by telephone and if I do not hear anything I can assume everything is ok. And the results will be sent to the Embassy within 4 working days.

The reception staff were very pleasant and the X-ray staff where alright. The doctor was a little off... I felt it was a bit unprofessional and like she couldn't be bothered with the examination but apart from a bit of a bruised arm from the blood test, it was painless!

I left the medical at 10.00am. 40 mins from start to finish!

Any questions, let me know! Think I've remembered everything!

Good luck!

Jess

Jessica & Kedron

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.