craig_b1990

England to USA, K-1 Visa

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hey there! I've have a quick browse of this forum, and it seems really friendly, helpful and has a very positive feel about it. I obviously joined for a reason....so I will start with my story, then I'll ask what I want to ask, and hopefully find help :)

I have already had a good research across the internet about the process, and I am fairly confident with what I already know, I just would like some more "personal" takes on the situation rather than the facts you get from the government websites.

Basically, I plan on taking the K-1 visa route to be with my girlfriend next year (roughly around September we will look at starting the process). We have been together for approaching 2 years now. I am from Leeds, UK, she (Melaina) is from Hanahan, South Carolina. I will try and keep this short and sweet.

It took me 6 months to go visit her from originally meeting, I spent the summer of 2010 with her and her family and had an amazing time, fell in love with the state, the country and the girl all over again :). From that I then came back to the UK and knuckled down with my job, to save as quick and as hard as possible. I returned to her for her birthday in Sept 2010. After that Melaina spent last Christmas here in the UK with me and my family, we spent a weekend in London also sight seeing etc. I then took a trip back to the USA in March 2011, again she returned here (UK) through June and July 2011 with me and my family. At the moment we looked at being sensible and saving all the money we can so I haven't seen her since, however, I am going back again for this Christmas (2011). That is our meetings out of the way. As for records I should need to prove the relationship is legit, we have numerous photo-books, and photos, we have family members that have met each of us respectively (I don't know if that will help the case at all, but anyway), we also spend most nights talking on Skype, so we have call/text records from that to use when the time comes to give "evidence".

That is basically our relationship in a nutshell so far. Any more questions about that, just ask me because I'm sure I will have missed something out!.

Now to our situation, we are waiting until next September so that she is 18 when the process begins, I am a couple of years older. Now I know how it looks to outsiders, and I am expecting sceptics, but my family, her family and friends alike, all know that we are genuine and its for real. It may seem like "puppy love" and that we are still young, but both families know our plans, and no one has mentioned anything to suggest that we are not anything but "for real". Its a huge, life changing, gutsy decision for me to take. I chose that I want to move and live in the USA for many reasons.

Next onto what I would like to know (sorry if I seem a bit blunt and to the point here, my hands are aching from all this typing).

-If at all possible I would like to know and hear of personal experiences in particular that of moving from England to the USA.

-My main worry is the affidavit, because she is in schooling/ starting college she doesn't have a job, so i am unclear as to if she could co-sponsor me alongside her mother. Her mother is happy to do so, she has VERY substantial savings and investments, and would meet the limits of the affidavit should needs be. So just how big a deal is the Affidavit, because i have savings too, so would it be a "deal breaker" if Melaina didnt meet the affidavit, and should her mother co-sponsor me, how would that effect my application if at all?

-What tips/tricks is there that could be helpful to me, that i may not find otherwise?

-Is there anything i can do before starting the process all off, that may help speed the process up or help it along (maybe something along the lines of having the jabs i need before starting the visa, so that when i have my medical for the Embassy appt, i wont need to have any jabs there, for example)

I can't wait to build my knowledge up and get to know you guys :) Thank you for any help or responses, in advance. :D

Edited by Craig_b1990

Timeline

for proof of having met you need copies of boarding passes, passport stamps, photos ect. having a co-sponsor wont affect your chances at all so long as they meet 125% of the poverty level. getting all your vaccinations done is a good idea as most of them are free in england. nothing you do will help speed up the process... it will take as long as it takes which can be anywhere between 6 - 12 month.

the K-1 guide on here is very useful.

im from halifax which is just down the road from leeds :)

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: Timeline

Yes, her mother can be a co-sponsor, there's nothing wrong with this.

In regards to the evidence, you will need much more than photos and chat logs. You will need passport stamps and boarding passes, maybe some hotel or restaurant receipts.

Tips..huh, be positive and hope for the best. :D haha, if you two love each other strong enough, nothing can keep you apart!

my lover is mine and i am his.

Timeline

Wow! Thanks guys! :D Didn't expect such quick responses, ha-ha! Yes Halifax is close by :D. I also do have ALL our tickets ever, I have a folder for it, I planned ahead hoping that would be common sense, everything from train tickets to and from the Airport to the Hotels, everything and anything :D Thanks again guys!

One more thing I forgot to add, I doubt it will make any difference to my case apart from showing our relationships strength and reality. We also went to Paris this summer, like I said if nothing else it shows we are real, and gave us a chance for yet more "evidence" with pictures, boarding passes etc. :D

*Dan & Jenny - I see it wasn't long since you started the process, I wish you the best of luck with it :D and i will undoubtedly keep up with you're process, and maybe ask you a few more questions along the line if you don't mind.

Craig - Many Brits are happy here in the US.

Some are not so happy.

I would suggest you and Melaina make some lists.

One with the positives of living in the US; one with the negatives. Then another list with the positives of living in the UK; and the negatives.

Take into account where you would like to raise children and why; where you will have the most exposure to employment and why; where you will be able to best afford health care; where you will find the most "cultural" interests; where you have the most family and social support; etc.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

well i see all your previous questions have been answered all ready, i would suggest looking at the uk part of the forum all the people in there have undergone the same thing, only other thing i would suggest is plan a vist between the two of you before you send in the paperwork so you can sign them all together and keep them relevant and what not, and just keep stockpile evidence of your relationship,

the link to the uk part is http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

you know the thing i miss about the uk is the ingredients for cooking, and salad cream salad cream is a definate. but i hate going to the store here to get stuff to cook with and now know what i am gonna get

Edited by Chris921

My Journey Uk To Usa

K1
I-129f Sent:- 19-Aug-2010
Date of Entry-27-May-2011
Date Married-24-June-2011

AOS
AOS/EAD Sent:08-Aug-2011
Green Card Received: 16-Nov-2011

ROC

i-751 Sent 01-Nov-2013

i-751 NOA1 04-Nov-2013

i-751 Biometrics App. 08-Nov-2013

i-751 Biometrics Completed 29-Nov-2013

Nearly there, and for those who are just starting the k1 it is a long wait but once it is over the time feels well spent

Timeline

Craig - Many Brits are happy here in the US.

Some are not so happy.

I would suggest you and Melaina make some lists.

One with the positives of living in the US; one with the negatives. Then another list with the positives of living in the UK; and the negatives.

Take into account where you would like to raise children and why; where you will have the most exposure to employment and why; where you will be able to best afford health care; where you will find the most "cultural" interests; where you have the most family and social support; etc.

Thanks :) We have already had that conversation, and will no doubt have it again within the next 12 months just to make sure that the decision is the right one. I agree that we need to sit back and look at this sensibly from a neutral point of view.

We both agreed that children in the future we both would want raised and educated in the USA. Melaina plans on carrying on her studies there too, and I am wanting to pursue more education if possible once I am settled there too, but more furthering myself in my profession rather than just further education. I cant remember what the specifics were when we talked about it last, however the US came out on top with regards to pros and cons to either the UK or US. I think over Christmas I am going to bring it up again with her whilst we have time, and write it down on paper as you suggested, before we have talked about it, and not necessarily looked at it in-front of us. I know i will be giving up my family, to put it that way. However its only a plane ride away, or a Skype call away as I see it. I look to this situation with positivity, things will be hard in life, but I have the mentality to take it as it comes and deal with it how it should be dealt with.

Personally, I live in the north of the UK, which is being hit hard with jobs at the moment, any jobs, never mind jobs with futures. I am really grateful I have a job, however it is minimum wage and I am working my "#######" off to save as much as I can for my future, after all you get out what you put into something (my personal perspective). The job situation in America doesn't seem much better at a glance, but I have researched the local government in South Carolina, found employment/unemployment/new employment rates. I also actively job search the area too, so that I have a good idea of what type of jobs are the most popular, but also to get a general idea of the employment status. It is a relatively good status for work considering the current climate, it is certainly better than the situation i am in at the moment. That is only one thing I have looked at. I don't want to seem like I'm biting back, or proving myself to anyone, but I have been told by many people I have a "wise head" for my age. I don't just jump into decisions, especially ones as vast as this one. I do my research, my planning and back up plans and make sure everything is sufficient before I do anything else (hence asking for help on here, information like what you are giving me is priceless). So I am sorry if I come across as big headed, obnoxious or anything like that. I am not, I am TRULY grateful for everyone's help here :) Its great to have such a helpful forum!

Thank you for the help, and the guidance, I will follow it up, and take it all on board from as neutral a view as I can.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Sounds like you are pretty well prepared so far in advance with photos etc. Passport stamps and boarding passes (rather than copies of e-tickets, as these don't prove you actually travelled, whereas boarding passes do) together with photos of the two of you together and also with family are also good. You don't need mountains of stuff, just proof of having been together within the 2years prior to your petition. Proof of ongoing relationship comes up at interview time, so good to have cards, (e.g. birthday cards etc, handwritten letters, chatlogs etc and more photos if you have them). Difficult for you to do much else in advance without the information being outdated at the time of petition/interview.

Just follow the K1 guides, check on your embassy site as to what they will require for packet 3 and interview and keep reading this site - it becomes addictive anyway :yes: , and note any pitfalls that your own UK community may encounter.

All the best with your journey ! :thumbs:

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Timeline

well i see all your previous questions have been answered all ready, i would suggest looking at the uk part of the forum all the people in there have undergone the same thing, only other thing i would suggest is plan a vist between the two of you before you send in the paperwork so you can sign them all together and keep them relevant and what not, and just keep stockpile evidence of your relationship,

the link to the uk part is http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

you know the thing i miss about the uk is the ingredients for cooking, and salad cream salad cream is a definate. but i hate going to the store here to get stuff to cook with and now know what i am gonna get

Yes they have! Thank you all again, and thanks, I will check that link out in the morning I think, its getting late! I was thinking about a trip like you mentioned, we have sort of pencilled in for her to be here next summer again, but I'm sure I will go over the pond to her to go through the papers etc. At the moment our pictures, picture books, and any of the evidence is kinda split between us both, but with some planning we will be able to get everything in one place over a few journeys no doubt. Thanks for the heads up. Also, I'm going to have to disagree on Salad cream.... can't stand it ha-ha, but each to their own as they say, I'm sure I will miss things I wouldn't expect :) One thing I couldn't find in the USA is Gammon?? and we both LOVE it. But obviously only eat it in England.... there must be something there, just not sure of the name. Anyway...... thank you again, so much information is going in my head right now, I'll have to come back and re-read a few times just to make sure its all up there. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

what Andie says is true for the last week since i got the notice for my interview for aos i cannot stop checking this website like 20 times+ a day, it is good for passing time. and helps qwell my nerves on no EaD. You're alot more prepared then i was when we started it, considering we were planning on her coming to the uk but changed my mind in july and we wanted to send in the paperwork in august, so yeah more organized but yes, i have no worries about your going through the process, you seem like you're good at planning and very organized, which is alot of paperwork to organize

My Journey Uk To Usa

K1

AOS

ROC

i-751 Sent 01-Nov-2013

i-751 NOA1 04-Nov-2013

Nearly there, and for those who are just starting the k1 it is a long wait but once it is over the time feels well spent

Gammon in essence is just of the hind leg of a pig, so it shouldn't be very hard to procure, (even if you have to go to a custom meats shop, it is just like a slice of the thigh of the hind leg)

My Journey Uk To Usa

K1

AOS

ROC

i-751 Sent 01-Nov-2013

i-751 NOA1 04-Nov-2013

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Just wanted to wish you luck in the process :) seems like all your questions have been answered! lots of luck to you ! It's a long process but worth it in the end :)

K-1 Visa Timeline

9/8/2011 - Mailed off I-129F
9/13/2011 - NOA1
1/30/2012 - Approved!
2/14/2012 - Daniels Medical Appt
3/22/2012 - Interview Day - Approved!!! <3

AOS/EAD Timeline

06/07/2012 - Arrived via USPS
06/12/2012 - Received text for NOA
07/19/2012 - Biometrics
09/12/2012 - Interview Date
09/12/2012 - Approved for Green Card! See ya in 2 years !!!

I-751

08/21/2014 - Mailed

09/16/2014 - Biometrics

Thanks :) We have already had that conversation, and will no doubt have it again within the next 12 months just to make sure that the decision is the right one. I agree that we need to sit back and look at this sensibly from a neutral point of view.

We both agreed that children in the future we both would want raised and educated in the USA. Melaina plans on carrying on her studies there too, and I am wanting to pursue more education if possible once I am settled there too, but more furthering myself in my profession rather than just further education. I cant remember what the specifics were when we talked about it last, however the US came out on top with regards to pros and cons to either the UK or US. I think over Christmas I am going to bring it up again with her whilst we have time, and write it down on paper as you suggested, before we have talked about it, and not necessarily looked at it in-front of us. I know i will be giving up my family, to put it that way. However its only a plane ride away, or a Skype call away as I see it. I look to this situation with positivity, things will be hard in life, but I have the mentality to take it as it comes and deal with it how it should be dealt with.

Personally, I live in the north of the UK, which is being hit hard with jobs at the moment, any jobs, never mind jobs with futures. I am really grateful I have a job, however it is minimum wage and I am working my "#######" off to save as much as I can for my future, after all you get out what you put into something (my personal perspective). The job situation in America doesn't seem much better at a glance, but I have researched the local government in South Carolina, found employment/unemployment/new employment rates. I also actively job search the area too, so that I have a good idea of what type of jobs are the most popular, but also to get a general idea of the employment status. It is a relatively good status for work considering the current climate, it is certainly better than the situation i am in at the moment. That is only one thing I have looked at. I don't want to seem like I'm biting back, or proving myself to anyone, but I have been told by many people I have a "wise head" for my age. I don't just jump into decisions, especially ones as vast as this one. I do my research, my planning and back up plans and make sure everything is sufficient before I do anything else (hence asking for help on here, information like what you are giving me is priceless). So I am sorry if I come across as big headed, obnoxious or anything like that. I am not, I am TRULY grateful for everyone's help here :) Its great to have such a helpful forum!

Thank you for the help, and the guidance, I will follow it up, and take it all on board from as neutral a view as I can.

I don't think you are biting back. Not at all.

I'm not all that far from South Carolina. At least not "far" as we consider that in the US. It's a lovely state. I can't see though that the employment picture is stellar there. North Carolina has ranked ahead of South Carolina for ages, and it's in the dumper now. Do you know that the unemployment rate in the UK is lower than in the US?

Have you researched the type of job you would need in the US to offer affordable health care? It's hard to decipher from an employment ad just what your underlying costs for health coverage would be. People in Melaina's area should be able to tell you which employer pays the most towards employee coverage. If you are researching health care costs in the US, you might want to google average family cost for coverage.

If you are looking at advertisements for government jobs, check to see if you as an alien would be eligible for those jobs. Most US Federal jobs require US citizenship for employment. State, County and City jobs - not so much.

I'd suggest you and Malaina have a discussion about what happens to a family in the US when a job is lost. How long unemployment compensation can be claimed in the US. Whether or not a family gets any help with their rent or mortgage in the event of a job loss. Whether or not they can go to the doctor or hospital when they lose the health coverage associated with that job.

You say you've discussed children receiving a US education. Education in the US is very much determined by the district the child lives in. And costs for a degree at a university are far more than costs in the UK. My son's bachelors degree in Music Education cost over 60K.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey there! I've have a quick browse of this forum, and it seems really friendly, helpful and has a very positive feel about it. I obviously joined for a reason....so I will start with my story, then I'll ask what I want to ask, and hopefully find help :)

I have already had a good research across the internet about the process, and I am fairly confident with what I already know, I just would like some more "personal" takes on the situation rather than the facts you get from the government websites.

Basically, I plan on taking the K-1 visa route to be with my girlfriend next year (roughly around September we will look at starting the process). We have been together for approaching 2 years now. I am from Leeds, UK, she (Melaina) is from Hanahan, South Carolina. I will try and keep this short and sweet.

It took me 6 months to go visit her from originally meeting, I spent the summer of 2010 with her and her family and had an amazing time, fell in love with the state, the country and the girl all over again :). From that I then came back to the UK and knuckled down with my job, to save as quick and as hard as possible. I returned to her for her birthday in Sept 2010. After that Melaina spent last Christmas here in the UK with me and my family, we spent a weekend in London also sight seeing etc. I then took a trip back to the USA in March 2011, again she returned here (UK) through June and July 2011 with me and my family. At the moment we looked at being sensible and saving all the money we can so I haven't seen her since, however, I am going back again for this Christmas (2011). That is our meetings out of the way. As for records I should need to prove the relationship is legit, we have numerous photo-books, and photos, we have family members that have met each of us respectively (I don't know if that will help the case at all, but anyway), we also spend most nights talking on Skype, so we have call/text records from that to use when the time comes to give "evidence".

That is basically our relationship in a nutshell so far. Any more questions about that, just ask me because I'm sure I will have missed something out!.

Now to our situation, we are waiting until next September so that she is 18 when the process begins, I am a couple of years older. Now I know how it looks to outsiders, and I am expecting sceptics, but my family, her family and friends alike, all know that we are genuine and its for real. It may seem like "puppy love" and that we are still young, but both families know our plans, and no one has mentioned anything to suggest that we are not anything but "for real". Its a huge, life changing, gutsy decision for me to take. I chose that I want to move and live in the USA for many reasons.

Next onto what I would like to know (sorry if I seem a bit blunt and to the point here, my hands are aching from all this typing).

-If at all possible I would like to know and hear of personal experiences in particular that of moving from England to the USA.

-My main worry is the affidavit, because she is in schooling/ starting college she doesn't have a job, so i am unclear as to if she could co-sponsor me alongside her mother. Her mother is happy to do so, she has VERY substantial savings and investments, and would meet the limits of the affidavit should needs be. So just how big a deal is the Affidavit, because i have savings too, so would it be a "deal breaker" if Melaina didnt meet the affidavit, and should her mother co-sponsor me, how would that effect my application if at all?

-What tips/tricks is there that could be helpful to me, that i may not find otherwise?

-Is there anything i can do before starting the process all off, that may help speed the process up or help it along (maybe something along the lines of having the jabs i need before starting the visa, so that when i have my medical for the Embassy appt, i wont need to have any jabs there, for example)

I can't wait to build my knowledge up and get to know you guys :) Thank you for any help or responses, in advance. :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.