Undefined

Montreal Interview Questions

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok so I don't miss anything. What is all you need to have with you at the Montreal U.S. Consulate Interview? So on the documents list to bring for interview, asked originals and copies, but most of my originals they already have it, was sent thru the visa process, now I have copies of all of it with me done. Now do yo have to bring a copy of the ds 156 and 156k? Because depends what document list you print one don't say it. In the documents when you print out your interview date and time paper yes. I just want to be prepared. So any advice and people that have already had an interview. Please tell me all you need, and what to expect, the questions and all. Thanks.

You should not have sent in any originals at any time. Copies only.

Because you haven't filled in a timeline, I'm not sure what part of the process you're in. Have you sent Packet 3? What have you sent?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Coconuts is right, never ever send originals: you send copies and bring the originals when you have an in person appointment.

You need to do a little research about the process and ask specific questions. Everything you need for your appointment is on the consulate's website: http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/content.asp?section=visas&document=index. The one thing listed you don't need as a K-1 beneficiary is proof of domicile in the U.S and a job letter offer. You won't be allowed to work until you get your EAD or GC anyway.

You can read reviews of Montreal and Vancouver interviews in the ''Review'' section of this forum : http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Canada&cty=&dfilter=5

To my appointment, I chose to bring more rather than less. I had exact copies of my original I-129F application and both Packet 3 and 4. Throw in as many proofs of a 4 years ongoing relationship as we could find, my USC fiancé flown in, and there ya go :)

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

Because you haven't filled in a timeline, I'm not sure what part of the process you're in. Have you sent Packet 3? What have you sent?

I have an interview date, I am sure I will be fine, they have everything anyways. And I have copies with me.

Timeline

In some of the stuff they asked the originals and also asked already stuff that you suppose to bring at the interview, so i guess or im in advance lmao or i guess all is different lol thanks for everything tho

Timeline

In some of the stuff they asked the originals and also asked already stuff that you suppose to bring at the interview, so i guess or im in advance lmao or i guess all is different lol thanks for everything tho

Heh. You are either very relaxed or naive about the immigration process. You might end up sorry for relying on the fact they will have your stuff at hand at your interview. Sometimes, they do misplace things and loose files. You are in the position where YOU need to make a case. They don't have to go dig up anything for you.

These originals you sent them are not just useful for your K-1. Especially your birth certificate. You will need them down the road for AOS and EAD/AP and probably to get your driver's license and open a bank account. If you can't get that back, apply for a new one asap.

ROC completed April 2014

I have an interview date, I am sure I will be fine, they have everything anyways. And I have copies with me.

Montreal is one of the busiest (and slowest) consulates. It's not unheard of that they lose things. Be sure to ask for your originals back because you'll need them down the road.

At no point were originals asked for. They are listed on the Packet 3 checklist, but that's to bring to the interview, not to send through the mail.

To the interview, bring copies of all the forms that you have filled out. As well as copies of the originals that you sent to the consulate (birth certificate, police check, etc)..

Edited by Coconuts

I would not trust them to have everything you sent in. I am 100% sure I sent them a document, and they ended not being able to find it, and that cost us 4 more weeks of waiting after our interview.

I hope you have better luck than we did!

I am the USC
September 7, 2010 - I-129F sent
September 18, 2010 - NOA1 hard copy received
February 3, 2011 - Approved
February 8, 2011 - NOA2 Hard copy received
May 30, 2011 - Medical
July 12, 2011 - Interview
August 31, 2011 Visa in hand
September 7, 2011 - POE
October 14, 2011 - Married!

Adjustment of Status
Sent - November 8, 2011
Delivered - November 9, 2011
NOA1 for all applications(email) - November 10,2011
NOA1 hard copy - November 17, 2011
Biometrics letter for December 13 - November 17, 2011
Walk in Biometrics November 25, 2011
RFE :( November 28, 2011
RFE response review - December 7. 2011
RFE#2 December 28, 2011
RFE response review - January 10, 2012
EAD Production - January 11, 2012
Case transferred - January 17, 2012
Green card in production - March 30, 2012

ROC

File date - March 24, 2014

Letter saying we need to be interviewed - November 2014

Interview and approved on December 09, 2014

Timeline

Heh. You are either very relaxed or naive about the immigration process. You might end up sorry for relying on the fact they will have your stuff at hand at your interview. Sometimes, they do misplace things and loose files. You are in the position where YOU need to make a case. They don't have to go dig up anything for you.

These originals you sent them are not just useful for your K-1. Especially your birth certificate. You will need them down the road for AOS and EAD/AP and probably to get your driver's license and open a bank account. If you can't get that back, apply for a new one asap.

What is AOS? and EAD/AP? and what are the documents needed to get back?

I'm neither relaxed nor naive. But I get where you are coming from.

Timeline

Montreal is one of the busiest (and slowest) consulates. It's not unheard of that they lose things. Be sure to ask for your originals back because you'll need them down the road.

At no point were originals asked for. They are listed on the Packet 3 checklist, but that's to bring to the interview, not to send through the mail.

To the interview, bring copies of all the forms that you have filled out. As well as copies of the originals that you sent to the consulate (birth certificate, police check, etc)..

So what documents do they need to give you back? They keep the original police check and affidit of support. And sometimes they ask for both and want both and some documents they give you back the copy or the original.

Thanks for the input :)

Timeline

What is AOS? and EAD/AP? and what are the documents needed to get back?

I don't know which originals your submitted so I can't answer that. All of them?

Paperwork unfortunately doesn't end when you obtain your K-1 visa. In the U.S. you will have to apply for a social security number, trade-in your foreign driver's license, open bank accounts and take insurance (or be added to your spouse's). You will need your original birth certificate for most of those applications. You can research your state requirements online.

Also, after POE you will have 90 days to get married. Once you do, you want to file for Adjustment of status (AOS) (to be granted your green card) ASAP and if you apply for work authorization (EAD-Employment Authorization Document) and travel authorization (AP-Advanced Parole) at that same time, they waive those extra fees for you. It's already $1070 for AOS so you better do everything at once. Typically EAD and AP are faster to obtain than your green card so most people people apply for all 3. You cannot work without either your EAD or green card and you will abandon your status if you travel abroad without either your green card or AP.

VJ has great guides, you should have a look : http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

ROC completed April 2014

Timeline

I don't know which originals your submitted so I can't answer that. All of them?

Paperwork unfortunately doesn't end when you obtain your K-1 visa. In the U.S. you will have to apply for a social security number, trade-in your foreign driver's license, open bank accounts and take insurance (or be added to your spouse's). You will need your original birth certificate for most of those applications. You can research your state requirements online.

Also, after POE you will have 90 days to get married. Once you do, you want to file for Adjustment of status (AOS) (to be granted your green card) ASAP and if you apply for work authorization (EAD-Employment Authorization Document) and travel authorization (AP-Advanced Parole) at that same time, they waive those extra fees for you. It's already $1070 for AOS so you better do everything at once. Typically EAD and AP are faster to obtain than your green card so most people people apply for all 3. You cannot work without either your EAD or green card and you will abandon your status if you travel abroad without either your green card or AP.

VJ has great guides, you should have a look : http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Where do I apply for all of this? and how do I know what kind of documents I need? I go to my state gov site? consular site? they tell you? anything you know, info, advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Timeline

Where do I apply for all of this? and how do I know what kind of documents I need? I go to my state gov site? consular site? they tell you? anything you know, info, advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

I already just provided you with that information and advice. If you had read the VJ guide, you would now have answers to your questions. Take it from there.

my thoughts for you: search engine are awesome! :thumbs:

ROC completed April 2014

Timeline

I already just provided you with that information and advice. If you had read the VJ guide, you would now have answers to your questions. Take it from there.

my thoughts for you: search engine are awesome! :thumbs:

LOL. :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.