sherryandyashpal

Civil ceremony weddings in New Delhi? help!!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Ok to make a long story short my fiance was denied unfairly for k-1 visa ( this is because the CO was having a bad day, he denied 4 pther people same morning.) anyhow.. we have talked to senators and wrote more emails and faxed mor fases than anything..and so far there is no word and now our application expired. Yet we have not heard anything. Now we are looking into marriage in new delhi and to file cr-1 once we get confirmation that our case has no more hope. So here is where the questions start, we want to do a civil ceremony non religious and just wanted to know if anyone else has done it here? and do we need witnesses and if so how many? anything else you can tell would help like how long did it take to get the marriage certificate afterwards? Thank you guys!!!

Sherry

Met 10/2009Married 9/13/2012 in indiaFiled I-130 12/4/2012Assigned MSC case # 12/6/20122/14/2013 called uscis and on 1/30/2013 case moved from MSC to Chicago local office.4/17/2013 letter from senator durbin's office that a inquiry will be made on my case and to allow 30-60 days6/7/2013 NOA2 !!!!! while I am visiting my baby!!!!7/12/2013 letter from senator and copy of USCIS email to them stated our case heading to NVC 7/23/2013 NVC # assigned!!!!!!7/25/2013 called for Invoice identification number and had them add yash's email( Yash sent DS3032 via email nex day)7/29/2013 rec'd email from NVC with DS3032 and AOS invoice, paid today $88 mailed hardcopy of DS 30328/1/2013 AOS pkg mail via fed ex8/6/2013 AOS rec'd @NVC8/12/2013 DS3032 accepted IV invoiced8/15/2013 IV fed ex'd9/9/13 dreaded checklist asking for DS260 b/c DS230 obsolete<p>9/11/13 electronic submission of DS260 accepted
9/17/2013 called NVC case was completed as of today

10/1/2013 rec'd interview letter and date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/4/2013 INTERVIEW

RESULT....APPROVED!!!

11/12/2013 email to pick up visa!!!

09/09/15-12/2016 ROC +interview= appproved in over a year

12/21/2016 fedex'd N-400 application and per fedex was rec'd

Timeline

Ok to make a long story short my fiance was denied unfairly for k-1 visa ( this is because the CO was having a bad day, he denied 4 pther people same morning.) anyhow.. we have talked to senators and wrote more emails and faxed mor fases than anything..and so far there is no word and now our application expired. Yet we have not heard anything. Now we are looking into marriage in new delhi and to file cr-1 once we get confirmation that our case has no more hope. So here is where the questions start, we want to do a civil ceremony non religious and just wanted to know if anyone else has done it here? and do we need witnesses and if so how many? anything else you can tell would help like how long did it take to get the marriage certificate afterwards? Thank you guys!!!

Sherry

Registrar of marraiges need 30 days request by both and after 30 days he will conduct marraige - need 2 from each side as witnesses.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Registrar of marraiges need 30 days request by both and after 30 days he will conduct marraige - need 2 from each side as witnesses.

In case of Special Marriage Act, documentary evidence regarding stay in Delhi of the parties for more than 30 days (ration card or report from the concerned SHO). is this true for all cities or just if you are going to have a civil marriage in Delhi and it is not your soon to be spouses home city???

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Sherry

If you have not already started this - it could be a headache for you as well. After our denied K1 visa, (reason was expiration, unofficially, but I see our mistakes) My fiancee and I are marrying in Delhi in November - civil ceremony and a small religious one. Getting Married in India isn't always easy. You will want to go to Delhi with your man at least 30 days in advance as per Special Marriage act (look that up). I also went to the US Embassy in Delhi and recieved my "single status - no objection" letter from the US Embassy. Then with your fiancee go to the Marriage Registrar's office with a BUNCH (bring at least 10 because for some reason, our office wanted my photo on every single paper) of passport sized photos of both of you and fill out the intent to marry forms. Be persistent with the offices as we recieved the wrong form (from the wrong office). You want to go to the office closest to where your fiancee lives. This is huge. Because I was American, I am sure the office we went did not want to take the risk on me at the South Delhi office so sent my man to the other office. Anyways.. you also need to notarized letter that you are not related, of sane mind, etc...this is all in the forms you will recieve at the office. Plan to make a day of it because nothing goes on in 1 day in India. And plan to go back the next day - because that is just how India is. I have just learned that. My fiancee also needed a domicile document, notarized proof that he lived where he lived. Lastly... 3 witnesses must be there (and the US embassy will want a bunch of photos) for the civil ceremony. I wish you luck - I know it is painful and long, but when you remember that the two of you being together is MOST important it is worth it all.

April 27. 2007 Met accidentally on orkut.com

May 3. 2007 Began officially dating

November 4. 2007 In Love *swoon*

May 22. 2008 K visited India with friend

Feburary 2 2009 K's second visit to India

November 19. 2009 K's third visit to India: Engaged!

December 29. 2009 Hire Immigration attorney for help

March 28. 2010 I-129F sent in

June 16. 2010 Petition Approved - sent to National Visa Center

June 29. 2010 Packet 3 sent from Us Embassy

July 29. 2010 Packet sent from US Embassy Delhi

August 27. 2010 Packet recieved

September 17. 2010 DS 230 recieved

October 15. 2010 Petition expires :(

December 28. 2010 Interview Scheduled

January 28. 2011 Interview sent to administrative processing/additional documents required

February 10. 2011 K's fourth visit to India

February 14. 2011 Documents submitted to VFS Kelly & Nikhil together

March 10. 2011 Documents "non conclusive" petition sent back to NVC/petition not revalidated

April 30. 2011 notice to reapply - our petition expired, no other information given.

August 20.2011 K's fifth visit to India

November 11.2011 Team Erra will be married in New Delhi!

2013 we will begin CR1 visa after enjoying our lives as a married couple.

Advice welcome! :)

Team Erra never gives up!

• 2 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

In our case, there were no witnesses from his side. Just three from my side.

He didn't need a certificate of no objection of the US Embassy either.

I reestablished domicile in India for thirty prior to serving the notice -- I was in the US on a F-1 for four years. The notice has to be served 30 days before the wedding. Mr. Sachinky's signature was required for the notice but not his presence in India.

This was in Calcutta. Hope this helps.

Bear in mind though, CO's don't deny visas just because they are having a bad day. There is usually a reason and getting married will NOT guarantee a visa unless that issue is overcome.

NWD is a high fraud consulate and it is tough to get a visa for K-1 interracial couples because of dishonorable intentions of many beneficiaries.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

Just getting married, then apply right away for CR-1 visa may be little risky. Since you guys were denied recently about this K1 process. It is more important to ensure that your case is stronger. It is very important.

Get married, work on doc, evidence that will make your case stronger, then follow the CR-1 path. Because at the interview, they would know that person was denied for K1 visa.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: H-1C Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

In our case, there were no witnesses from his side. Just three from my side.

He didn't need a certificate of no objection of the US Embassy either.

I reestablished domicile in India for thirty prior to serving the notice -- I was in the US on a F-1 for four years. The notice has to be served 30 days before the wedding. Mr. Sachinky's signature was required for the notice but not his presence in India.

This was in Calcutta. Hope this helps.

Bear in mind though, CO's don't deny visas just because they are having a bad day. There is usually a reason and getting married will NOT guarantee a visa unless that issue is overcome.

NWD is a high fraud consulate and it is tough to get a visa for K-1 interracial couples because of dishonorable intentions of many beneficiaries.

I agree with the above and also want to add that having just a civil ceremony at the marriage registrar's office will look very suspicious when you do CR1. The Embassy may think (as they already do) that he is just using you for a visa if you don't have a traditional marriage or at least a large reception with his extended family and friends present. From the Embassy's perspective, if he and his family are really serious about his marriage to you then they will definitely do this.

While other people may have successfully gotten visas after a civil ceremony, you have to keep in mind that each case is different. Sachinky recently made a long post in another thread about the unfortunate double standards/racist issues which make your case particularly difficult.

It's sad but the truth is almost all Indians- except for a very small number of highly intellectual elite-class people- are still very shallow and racist when it comes to choosing a life partner. Having someone who follows traditional Indian culture is important. And even though Indians may not be "white" themselves, the vast majority still consider whites to be superior and blacks inferior. People are considered "beautiful" only if they have fair skin; it's very different from modern American standards. It's difficult to understand just how deep-rooted racism is here unless you've lived in India for a long time. Although I certainly don't subscribe to these views myself, the Embassy is aware that most Indians do and unfortunately will take that into consideration when determining your case.

IMO, the best way to increase the chances of getting approved next time is to have a wedding reception with lots of photos of his family, friends and relatives attending. Also, if you can live with his family in India for some time that will help too.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

It's sad but the truth is almost all Indians- except for a very small number of highly intellectual elite-class people- are still very shallow and racist when it comes to choosing a life partner. Having someone who follows traditional Indian culture is important. And even though Indians may not be "white" themselves, the vast majority still consider whites to be superior and blacks inferior. People are considered "beautiful" only if they have fair skin; it's very different from modern American standards. It's difficult to understand just how deep-rooted racism is here unless you've lived in India for a long time. Although I certainly don't subscribe to these views myself, the Embassy is aware that most Indians do and unfortunately will take that into consideration when determining your case.

+1000 to SimranS. :thumbs: Perfect, succinct, I have nothing more to add to this piece.

While I abhor the hoopla surrounding the traditional Indian wedding/Bollywood extravaganza and personally preferred a smaller civil ceremony, in your case it would be visa-suicide to not consider a traditional wedding with all the bells and whistles with members from BOTH parties present. Whether this might or might not be your religious and/or personal preference. The odds are NOT stacked in your favor as has already been explained in detail. With two interviews, a probable Fraud Prevention Unit check, and a subsequent denial, you have an uphill battle to wage.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.