DJ+Dale

Interview experience - Seoul

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

What a day.

Got to the embassy at 7:30. They let me in and I proceeded to the 3rd floor. Filled out a courier receipt, waited for 5 minutes. A lady at window 305 asked to see me. I gave her all the documents except for a very bulky scrapbook with all our photos/bus tickets/letters etc. I thought that photos would be requested later. I thought wrong. As it turns out, the KNPC requirement has changed and it now needs to state a record of "no expunged crimes"...I didn't know this and received a blue slip to hand in the correct KNPC with translations.

The CO interview went like this:

Hi, how are you? - I'm well thanks and you?

I'm good.

He swore me in, right hand in the air.

How did you meet? - On Myspace in October 2009.

When did you meet in person for the first time? - I said the day and month but not year, so he said: "Yes, but what year?" - November 2009.

Where was this? - My apartment in Wonju (I invited him to my apartment) The CO grinned like he thought I was quite forward to invite my fiance over like that. In retrospect I think I should have said "We decided to meet in my town in November 2009"

So he's in the military - Yes, Sir

So he's not in Korea now? - No, Sir. He is stationed in Texas now.

So you're going to Texas? - Yes, Sir. Hopefully (Bad answer! Hopefully?)

What do you do? - I'm an English Teacher.

How long have you lived in Korea - Almost 6 years.

Do you speak Korean? - Yes, Sir. I can read and write.

How long did it take you to learn? - About 2 years.

What does he do in the military? Do you know? - YES! He's a ____________.

Ok. Now they told you about the Korean Police certificate that's incorrect right? - Yes, Sir.

I'm going to give you this paper (BLUE SLIP ) All it says is that you need to resubmit the correct forms. Here's your passport back. - Ok, When could I do that Sir?

Today from 1 - 3 pm. - Ok.

So I rushed to get the correct KNPC, edited the current translation (very nervous about whether or not my translation was correct), printed it in red ink (pc bang out of black ink) and went back. Waited for 10 minutes and my number came up. I handed the papers to the Korean lady, asked her if it was the correct KNPC. She said yes. She asked me if I had gone through the interview and I said yes. She asked me that twice. "If there is a problem we will contact you...If not, wait for 5 business days to receive your visa"

That was it. The CO was really strict and wouldn't let me get a lot of things in that I wanted to say. My fiance has just come back from deployment, no family questions, didn't look at our pictures just emails, yahoo video call screen shots and messages from Facebook.

The staff is helpful but I don't feel like the CO and I had a good interview. Perhaps I'm over thinking it. What does all this mean?

Walked out at 11:00. Best to come more than prepared and make copies of all originals, do not submit original birth certificates, other country police clearances... they don't give it back.

And now I wait. I hope everything is ok.... :wacko:

What a day.

Got to the embassy at 7:30. They let me in and I proceeded to the 3rd floor. Filled out a courier receipt, waited for 5 minutes. A lady at window 305 asked to see me. I gave her all the documents except for a very bulky scrapbook with all our photos/bus tickets/letters etc. I thought that photos would be requested later. I thought wrong. As it turns out, the KNPC requirement has changed and it now needs to state a record of "no expunged crimes"...I didn't know this and received a blue slip to hand in the correct KNPC with translations.

The CO interview went like this:

Hi, how are you? - I'm well thanks and you?

I'm good.

He swore me in, right hand in the air.

How did you meet? - On Myspace in October 2009.

When did you meet in person for the first time? - I said the day and month but not year, so he said: "Yes, but what year?" - November 2009.

Where was this? - My apartment in Wonju (I invited him to my apartment) The CO grinned like he thought I was quite forward to invite my fiance over like that. In retrospect I think I should have said "We decided to meet in my town in November 2009"

So he's in the military - Yes, Sir

So he's not in Korea now? - No, Sir. He is stationed in Texas now.

So you're going to Texas? - Yes, Sir. Hopefully (Bad answer! Hopefully?)

What do you do? - I'm an English Teacher.

How long have you lived in Korea - Almost 6 years.

Do you speak Korean? - Yes, Sir. I can read and write.

How long did it take you to learn? - About 2 years.

What does he do in the military? Do you know? - YES! He's a ____________.

Ok. Now they told you about the Korean Police certificate that's incorrect right? - Yes, Sir.

I'm going to give you this paper (BLUE SLIP ) All it says is that you need to resubmit the correct forms. Here's your passport back. - Ok, When could I do that Sir?

Today from 1 - 3 pm. - Ok.

So I rushed to get the correct KNPC, edited the current translation (very nervous about whether or not my translation was correct), printed it in red ink (pc bang out of black ink) and went back. Waited for 10 minutes and my number came up. I handed the papers to the Korean lady, asked her if it was the correct KNPC. She said yes. She asked me if I had gone through the interview and I said yes. She asked me that twice. "If there is a problem we will contact you...If not, wait for 5 business days to receive your visa"

That was it. The CO was really strict and wouldn't let me get a lot of things in that I wanted to say. My fiance has just come back from deployment, no family questions, didn't look at our pictures just emails, yahoo video call screen shots and messages from Facebook.

The staff is helpful but I don't feel like the CO and I had a good interview. Perhaps I'm over thinking it. What does all this mean?

Walked out at 11:00. Best to come more than prepared and make copies of all originals, do not submit original birth certificates, other country police clearances... they don't give it back.

And now I wait. I hope everything is ok.... :wacko:

Hi, You don't have to worry.. It will be fine.:) I had have the same situation too, I've got horrible experience in my interview last August 11 my KNPC is not correct they need a precise scope of record, mine was a "Criminal background" instead of "Criminal history record" I didn't notice it till on my day of interview or even thought about it. You're right the CO is strict and and straight to his question. but he's kind and professional, he gave me a blue slip and a print copy of required KNPC got from embassy website and instructed me to get a correct KNPC. He keep my passport and told me to come back when I get one, at that time I thought I should come back to next Wednesday but I ask him if I can come back on that day and he just said "yes 1-3pm" so, I go quick to nearest police station and go back to beside of embassy for translated and notarized. I go back inside of embassy at 1030am take a number and called to the first window and I ask Korean lady if is it correct one she said "yes" and smile. she just told me that I'm free to go. but, I ask her if my visa is approved or anything she just said the CO will going to check it if there's any problem in my passport they will going to call me.. on the next day the courier deliver my passport and Praise God my visa is approved.:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.