5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Just recently got married and going to file the AOS soon. Wanted to get some quick answers before I send things away. For the fees that need to be paid, does it include the fees for the other optional forms like the I-765 or would you have to add the cost of that form in with the I-485 form fee?

Another question is do you need a co-sponsor when you file for aos if you meet the 125% poverty limit?

My last question is who fills out the G-325A? Both of us or just my wife who is the applicant?

Also, I don't know if any of you had a problem in getting a certified copy of the marriage certificate, but where I am, in Hawaii, they told me that they are backed up and it would take maybe 6+ weeks to get a certified copy and that is when its a rushed order. Any advice? I do have the little paper that the judge gave me that shows we were married.

Edited by kirby808

Wait for the certified MC

Only the applicant or non USC fills up a G325a

No you don't need a co-sponsor if you meet the limit

Its $1070 for AOS/EAD/AP :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Just recently got married and going to file the AOS soon. Wanted to get some quick answers before I send things away. For the fees that need to be paid, does it include the fees for the other optional forms like the I-765 or would you have to add the cost of that form in with the I-485 form fee?

Another question is do you need a co-sponsor when you file for aos if you meet the 125% poverty limit?

My last question is who fills out the G-325A? Both of us or just my wife who is the applicant?

Also, I don't know if any of you had a problem in getting a certified copy of the marriage certificate, but where I am, in Hawaii, they told me that they are backed up and it would take maybe 6+ weeks to get a certified copy and that is when its a rushed order. Any advice? I do have the little paper that the judge gave me that shows we were married.

Hi, Kirby!

Congrats on the marriage!

Ok, what was you visa prior to marriage? Suggest you also include your timeline when you reply so we will know about your journey so far. :)

To answer your questions:

1. If you're applying for I-485 (AOS) along with I-765 (EAD) (together) then you don't need to pay for the EAD. So only one fee, that of the AOS -$1070 ($985 for AOS and $85 for biometrics). That's why I applied for both one time.

2. If you're certain that the sponsor or petitioner's income reached or exceeded the stated 125% income bracket per I-864P, then you don't need a co-sponsor. Make sure that you have the petitioner's income tax returns since 2008-2010. They should be reflected on the Form I-864 (Afffidavit of Support) which is part of your AOS packet. Please ensure that you have I-693 (medical) sealed and signed by a Civil Surgeon designated by the USCIS attached to your AOS packet.

3. For the I-130 (Petition for an Alient Relative) that the USC files for the alien spouse, you both need the fill out a G-325. Make sure you got 2 pix each in the packet. For I-765 (EAD), the applicant/intending immigrant needs a G-325 too and pix. Some forget the pix, you will get an RFE, that will hold the processing of your papers ...you don't want that...delays. :)

4. Wow, 6 weeks?!We got our certificate of marriage the next day after marriage from the Court House in Bedford, IN. You might want to call them again? Even in Vegas, my friends got their marriage license within 5 days after their wedding, considering the load of marriages Clark County has daily..:) Maybe some VJers in Hawaii can help you on this one.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and happy July 4th!

prep.mac

My Timeline:

10/2009 - met online

11/2010 - came here on B1/B2 visa

12/2010 - first meeting in person in Chicago, IL

03/2011 - moved in with him in IN

4/25/11 - got married in Mitchell, IN

5/02/11 - sent AOS packet (I-130/I-485/I-765) to Chicago Lockbox

5/04/11 - AOS packet received by Chicago Lockbox

5/23/11 - Received NOA for RFE (I-693)

5/27/11 - Sent RFE to DHS Lee's Summit, MO

6/02/11 - DHS Lee's Summit received REF reply

6/06/11 - Biometrics done at Louisville, KY as per NOA schedule

6/24/11 - Received NOA for July 25 interview in Indianapolis

6/30/11 – Received text and email messages EAD card on production

I-130 Petition for 3 yr old Stepchild

6/25/11 - Sent I-130 packet for stepchild

6/28/11 - Received text and email messages stating USCIS received it and moved case to CSC for processing

Edited by prep.mac

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Kirby:

Apologies, you came to the US on K1 so messybrownhair is more familiar with the process. Her replies are more reliable as she had been there ..:) I came here on a B visa so my husband needed to file I-130 for me after marriage that required both of us to submit G-325's.

I didn't look at your visa type.I just went ahead and looked if you have a timeline published or not.

Yes you can't file for AOS without your MC...so try to find out exactly when you can get it.

prep.mac

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok thanks I was just curious because I really don't know how long it will take them to get me the mc. They told me 6+ weeks possibly because they are backed up. I just don't want my wife to be out of status since I don't know what will happen if she is.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.