cananner

Packet 3 Checklist - Montreal

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I sent in my Packet 3 last week. They have very recently updated the Montreal web site and it seems the documents are a bit different now. Since the new "appointment checklist" is what they offer now, that's what I printed and sent in with my package. There's no place to sign or date it or anything. I just printed it and put it in with the rest of my documents to show that I had read it (and kept a copy for myself for reference, of course). All the items on it are the same as the old checklist, by the way.

Hope that helps.

Thanks CA-Dreamer, that's greatly appreciated. Did you wait for receiving packet 3 before sending all the documents they required at this stage ? Do we need a letter to book an appointment in order to perform the medical examination ?

Thanks again for your help,

Benoit and Jess

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks CA-Dreamer, that's greatly appreciated. Did you wait for receiving packet 3 before sending all the documents they required at this stage ? Do we need a letter to book an appointment in order to perform the medical examination ?

I called DOS a few times and as soon as they told me that packet 3 had been sent out, I went to the Montreal web site, double-checked the information I had gathered, and sent it off to Montreal. I sent packet 3 over a week ago. You don't need to wait to receive it. You just have to confirm that it has been sent out to you.

I'll be calling DOS again tomorrow to see if P3 has been received and Packet 4 sent out. As far as I understand, once they say P4 is sent, you can schedule the interview. And, again as far as I understand, you need to have an interview date before you can schedule the medical exam.

Again, hope that helps.

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Timeline

I called DOS a few times and as soon as they told me that packet 3 had been sent out, I went to the Montreal web site, double-checked the information I had gathered, and sent it off to Montreal. I sent packet 3 over a week ago. You don't need to wait to receive it. You just have to confirm that it has been sent out to you.

I'll be calling DOS again tomorrow to see if P3 has been received and Packet 4 sent out. As far as I understand, once they say P4 is sent, you can schedule the interview. And, again as far as I understand, you need to have an interview date before you can schedule the medical exam.

Again, hope that helps.

It does help. Thanks again and good luck for the next steps of the process.

Benoit and Jess

• 1 year later...
Timeline

Hi there. My case was sent to Montreal on Nov 4th from NVC. I haven't heard anything or received any emails yet. My question is how long should I wait before calling? Do we actually send all the items on the checklist with packet 3? Or we just confirm we have them ready for interview?

Thank you very much

Timeline

Hi there. My case was sent to Montreal on Nov 4th from NVC. I haven't heard anything or received any emails yet. My question is how long should I wait before calling? Do we actually send all the items on the checklist with packet 3? Or we just confirm we have them ready for interview?

Thank you very much

Don't be worried yet. My case was sent from the NVC to Montreal on Oct 25, and I just got the Packet 3 letter in the mail yesterday. It was postmarked last week, so I would guess that Montreal will be sending your letter quite soon.

You cannot get assistance specifically from Montreal unless you email, no phone assistance anymore. The checklist is purely for confirmation that you have those documents; you only need to send the items listed on the Instructions for Packet 3.

Timeline

Ok that's great! I have sent an email:) I guess I just wait. Can you tell me what packet 3 requests to be send back? Thank you Captain!smile.png

Tanya

Follow this link for exactly what you should expect. You will only receive a letter for packet 3, telling you to go to this address online. Technically, the packet 3 instructions are available to everyone, just only applicable once you receive the letter from Montreal.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/Packet3-K1-MTL.pdf

Timeline

Thank you! Yes I have already printed these lists. So I scan and email everything back to them? I thought we we're to courier them to Montreal? I am not sending the affidavit of support or supporting evidence?

It's nice to talk to fellow Canadians in this process. I hope you receive the next packet 4 soon. It's the last step, getting the interview:)

Thanks again

Timeline

Thank you! Yes I have already printed these lists. So I scan and email everything back to them? I thought we we're to courier them to Montreal? I am not sending the affidavit of support or supporting evidence?

It's nice to talk to fellow Canadians in this process. I hope you receive the next packet 4 soon. It's the last step, getting the interview:)

Thanks again

Yes, you scan everything that the first page of the instructions lists. You cannot do this until you've received the Packet 3 letter from the consulate that explains everything you're to do. Once that's received, scan your passport biographic page, the completed checklist, and the confirmation page from your DS-160 application. You can then email them all to the consulate in the format they provide you.

The courier isn't necessary at this step anymore, thanks to the email system set-up since the beginning of October. You won't need a courier arrangement until it's time for the actual visa to be delivered. Don't send anything beyond the 3 items listed on the instructions page, as the originals and copies of those items are only for the actual interview.

Hopefully we'll hear more soon about the interview, but it is said to take up-to six weeks from the submission for that next step. It won't necessarily be that long, but it is a good reason to tamper expectations right now.

Timeline

Thank you for your insights, Captain Canuck. smile.png I didn't know that you could e-mail them those forms now. That's great!
I have read that many people never receive their Packet 3 from Montreal, and that you can send your documents once you have confirmed that they have sent it out... but have also read that you can send your documents when you get your case number?

Edited by dianaguava
08/21/2013: I-129F sent
08/23/2013: I-129F delivered
08/28/2013: NOA1 text/e-mail received
09/03/2013: NOA1 hard copy received
10/28/2013: NOA2!
11/02/2013: NOA2 hard copy received

Timeline

Thank you for your insights, Captain Canuck. smile.png I didn't know that you could e-mail them those forms now. That's great!

I have read that many people never receive their Packet 3 from Montreal, and that you can send your documents once you have confirmed that they have sent it out... but have also read that you can send your documents when you get your case number?

I'm not exactly sure about whether you can send your forms once you get your case number, but I do know that it took 3 weeks between getting my case number from the NVC and receiving the Packet 3 letter from Montreal. The letter from the NVC, sent to the petitioner, which provided the case number was what encourages beneficiaries to complete the DS-160 online. I completed this shortly after my fiancé heard from the NVC, as it is all submitted online.

It's not clear to me that there is a connection between completing the DS-160 and receiving the Packet 3 letter from Montreal, but there could certainly be one. You could try sending the documents without the Packet 3 letter, as the instructions are available freely online, but there's no guarantee that Montreal will accept them if you have not been sent the Packet 3 letter. With the modifications to the Packet 3 process in October, much has changed and after a phone call with DOS, everyone is still trying to figure it out.

Wish there was more clarity on this, but I haven't seen any as of yet.

Timeline

Thank you! So the affidavit of support and supporting documents I only need for actual interview?

Tanya

As the letter states, only the 3 items on the first page (DS-160 confirmation, copy of the checklist, and biographic page of the passport) are required to be emailed to Montreal at this time. Everything else on the checklist, including the Affidavit and all other documents, are only required to be presented at the interview. You are merely stating that you already have those documents when sending in the checklist.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.