3,588 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi

I always read your posts these are very help full. today I have a question that I applied I-290B. in September 2011. because my vawa was denied no thing I heard from USCIS.except one receipt .I have a question this I-290B how long gonna take and what is the processing time for this case.thank you.if some one is in same situation.I will appreciate

Guys!

I have a question...I am trying to aplly for school and I was wondering how can I get financial aid with prima facie??? Does anyone knows or can help me? At least I want to coninue my education while nothing happens...

Thanks so much!

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hopeful 12 I posted this before, but I am posting here again.You don't have to cancel at all! Several beneficiaries of Vawa used public benefits and got they Green card without any problem. Read page 3 of this article:

"Receiving public benefits will not prevent a VAWA self-petitioner from obtaining lawful

permanent resident status. DHS cannot consider any public benefits received by battered

immigrants after August 22, 1996, in determining whether an individual will become a public

charge.4 This means that they will not decide a battered immigrant woman will be a burden to

society (which can cause DHS to deny lawful permanent resident status) based on the fact that

she has received public benefits).

http://www.legalmome...tteredwomen.pdf

Timeline

I read that many girls here are not getting public benefits then I decided to email Washington ( Washington State Department of Social and Health Services) they are responsible for the cash assistance,Tanf and food stamp in the USA, the guy from the main office emailed me back,here is his answer.

Hi Sandra:

Federal immigration law is complicated so I understand your frustration. There is also state variation in public benefits programs and eligibility and I work for the State of Washington so can’t answer for New Jersey or Florida, etc. There are also different rules for different programs, for example cash vs. food.

Having documentation of “prima facie” approval is only the first step in becoming eligible for benefits. This means the applicant is what the feds call a “qualified alien”.

Some states, like Washington, extend cash and food benefits to victims of DV who do not meet one of these federal criteria, but as I indicated above, this varies a lot from state to state.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely, Tom Berry

Tom Berry, Policy Analyst

Community Services Division

Economic Services Administration

Washington State Department of Social and Health Services

P.O.Box 45470

Olympia, WA 98504

Phone: 360-725-4617 (Olympia); 206-568-5597 (Seattle)

Fax: 360-725-4905 (Olympia): 206-720-3199 (Seattle)

Email: berrytj@dshs.wa.gov

Timeline

Hopeful 2011 Newark and Mont Laurell -Nj offices are adjudicating the I-485 received in January 2012, for some reason some cases from Feb/March were adjudicated already.Each one of the adjudicators get four, five boxes per week, they have 20 min to analyze each case,some cases take a few minutes more. Many adjudicators work at home, they have a schedule to follow tho, and sometimes some of them are faster than others.

Filed: Other Timeline

Guys!

I have a question...I am trying to aplly for school and I was wondering how can I get financial aid with prima facie??? Does anyone knows or can help me? At least I want to coninue my education while nothing happens...

Thanks so much!

Hi maryhoney87, read my post. I explained it a couple of months ago on this site.

1. Apply for FAFSA online, REMEMBER, pick the option of eligible non-citizen,

2. take your prima facie to your financial aid officer. Most people have not heard of prima facie for battered immigrants, so I'ld advice you take along with you the 'dear collegue letter.' you can print it out straight for the internet.

3. Insist to them that you qualify. GOODLUCK!

I am currently in school and i get financial aid.

Hi Sandranj,

Thank you for you prompt response. The closest office for me would be Newark. I had filed for my I-360, I-485 and I-797 in Feb 2011. And my VAWA was approved in Feb 2012, so I'm thinking that my I-485 must have been transferred to the local office sometime in March 2012. However, I have not heard anything yet on the interview date.

What do you recommend? Should I follow up with USCIS? Or just wait for sometime for now?

Any guidance that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hopeful 2011 Newark and Mont Laurell -Nj offices are adjudicating the I-485 received in January 2012, for some reason some cases from Feb/March were adjudicated already.Each one of the adjudicators get four, five boxes per week, they have 20 min to analyze each case,some cases take a few minutes more. Many adjudicators work at home, they have a schedule to follow tho, and sometimes some of them are faster than others.

Feb 18th 2011 - filed I360, I485 and I765

Feb 21st - receipt notice received

Feb 27th - prima facie received

March 18th - letter for biometrics appointment for April 15th

April 15th - biometrics appointment done

May 15th - EAD approved

May 20th - received EAD card

Sept 23rd - RFE received

Dec 14th - RFE response send

Feb 17th 2012 - filed for EAD renewal

Feb 23rd - received an email from USCIS: I360 APPROVED!!!

Feb 23rd - transferred my case to NBC

Feb 24th - receipt notice for EAD renewal

March 7th - RFE issued for EAD

March 13th - RFE response send

March 29th - EAD renewal approved

April 10th - received EAD card

Hi maryhoney87, read my post. I explained it a couple of months ago on this site.

1. Apply for FAFSA online, REMEMBER, pick the option of eligible non-citizen,

2. take your prima facie to your financial aid officer. Most people have not heard of prima facie for battered immigrants, so I'ld advice you take along with you the 'dear collegue letter.' you can print it out straight for the internet.

3. Insist to them that you qualify. GOODLUCK!

I am currently in school and i get financial aid.

Thank yoU! Yes I will take a look on your topic...=) and let u know if any more questions! cONGRATS FOR U!

Timeline

Hopeful 2011 wait a little bit more, they are adjudicating Jan 2012, your Vawa was approved in Feb 2012, probably in one month or 45 days you will hear something about the interview. I just had one case that they approved her GC WITHOUT INTERVIEW. It's not common tho!It was in Connecticut.

Filed: Timeline

Hopeful 2011 wait a little bit more, they are adjudicating Jan 2012, your Vawa was approved in Feb 2012, probably in one month or 45 days you will hear something about the interview. I just had one case that they approved her GC WITHOUT INTERVIEW. It's not common tho!It was in Connecticut.

Hi,

I’m wondering if I could refer someone in the NYC area to you since you’re an immigration attorney.

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.