Baloo16

want to apply for naturalization

2 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

After a very long difficult time my divorce is final. My spouse was a USC.

I want to apply for naturalization and be able to travel to see my home country while the process is pending. I have a few questions:

- I am a permanent resident since may 2006; at that time I was a conditional resident, conditions have been lifted in October 2008.

QUESTION:

- what date is the date since when you consider the 5 years period since becoming a permanent resident, in order to apply for naturalization? The date the conditional residency begin OR after the lifting of conditions?

- I would like to travel back to Europe to visit my family while in the process of naturalization; also, following my divorce, I am in the process of having my name changed to my maiden name.

QUESTIONS:

- do I need to change my green card to my current name while waiting for the naturalization process to complete its course?

- can I have a green card under a name and a nationality passport under another name while traveling in and out of the USA? Of course having all of the related documents to prove my identity and the changes to the name

- do I have to have my green card changes to the new name prior to applying for naturalization or can I just add the divorce decree which specifies the name change

DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA OF HOE LONG IT TAKES FROM START TO ACTUALLY APPLYING AND GETTING A US PASSPORT?

I would apply to the Phoenix center.

And .. any other thoughts / ideas are very welcome!!

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hello everybody,

After a very long difficult time my divorce is final. My spouse was a USC.

I want to apply for naturalization and be able to travel to see my home country while the process is pending. I have a few questions:

- I am a permanent resident since may 2006; at that time I was a conditional resident, conditions have been lifted in October 2008.

QUESTION:

- what date is the date since when you consider the 5 years period since becoming a permanent resident, in order to apply for naturalization? The date the conditional residency begin OR after the lifting of conditions?

- I would like to travel back to Europe to visit my family while in the process of naturalization; also, following my divorce, I am in the process of having my name changed to my maiden name.

QUESTIONS:

- do I need to change my green card to my current name while waiting for the naturalization process to complete its course?

- can I have a green card under a name and a nationality passport under another name while traveling in and out of the USA? Of course having all of the related documents to prove my identity and the changes to the name

- do I have to have my green card changes to the new name prior to applying for naturalization or can I just add the divorce decree which specifies the name change

DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA OF HOE LONG IT TAKES FROM START TO ACTUALLY APPLYING AND GETTING A US PASSPORT?

I would apply to the Phoenix center.

And .. any other thoughts / ideas are very welcome!!

Thank you

Hi.

1st Question:- the clock start counting the time you become a LPR. (since may 2006) (The 2 Years Card) So the 2 Years Card its counted. .. Now if going thru Divorce, then you have to apply on a 5 Year rule. count from the date you become a LPR. 5 Years but minus 90 Days.

2nd Question:- About ur changing ur name. i would wait till you file for ur Citizenship, You can do it during the Interview. AND (it's Free) lol. better than to pay for it.

3rd Question:- ABOUT ((can I have a green card under a name and a nationality passport under another name )) I am not sure what you meant here, But when you become a U.S. Citizen, you are no longer a PR. you will be a U.S. Citizen and ur Green Card will be taking away from you in the Oath Ceremony. and you will be handled a Certificate of naturalization, states you now a U.S. Citizen.

About ((do I have to have my green card changes to the new name prior to applying for naturalization )) I am not sure about this 1. You wait for better answer. But if you applying for U.S. Citizenship. you have to send a copy of ur Green Card when you send in ur application. and i dont think it will look right, your application have name different than ur Green Card. (Please Dont take my word on this 1 wait for better answer) But if YES you need to change it, then you need first to apply for Green card replacement FORM(I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Residence Card:)..

NOW. ABout how long it will take from the start until the end. No one can answer this question at all. it depends at ur local office, and other issues. one of them (Refuse for missing papers, Name Check, your local office if its busy, Delys, ect.) but usually you look for 3 to 4 months. and again without the Oath Ceremony. maybe it will take you time to receive ur Oath Letter, and ur passport as well.

Wish you the best.

Plwase wait for better answer.

Edited by Sand

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.