daveto

B2 for Ukaine GF on vacation with Canadian BF

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for the kind thoughts. Her passport arrived on Monday with a 5 year visa. Its such a added benefit to have that multi-entry visa, as it will make so many things so much easier as I travel to and/or through the US quite frequently. I'll post back in June after our trip to provide a brief note if there were any bumps in the road with the POE officer/etc

regard

dt

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

Thank you for the kind thoughts. Her passport arrived on Monday with a 5 year visa. Its such a added benefit to have that multi-entry visa, as it will make so many things so much easier as I travel to and/or through the US quite frequently. I'll post back in June after our trip to provide a brief note if there were any bumps in the road with the POE officer/etc

regard

dt

We've just finished our visit to NYC, and had a very nice trip.

As far as the customs process, we went through customs at Toronto, and the US POE officer certainly put us both through our paces, first my GF and then me. He asked a lot of questions of her (5 full minutes), and then after she went through, when I came up he did the same with me (another 5 minutes). Many of the questions seemed designed to try to catch some inconsistency in our stories. Ultimately, answering the questions wasn't difficult because we've been together for some time now, and so the answers were pretty simple. But for someone who is easily flustered, or who is pulling a visa scam, it probably wouldn't have been so simple.

Also, in her entry stamp the POE wrote the date she had said she was leaving. I don't know if that means that her entry was only valid until that date, or if he was just making a note of when she said she was leaving.

As a final note, although the visa process (from application to interview to entry) was nervewracking, in fairness I think it worked very well in our case (perhaps aided by some luck). They were tough, but fair. To any applicants, my advice is to have reasonable expectations, be rigorous in the preparation of your application, and to be entirely honest.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.