misslondon

Can US border control type my name into their computer at entry & pull up my marriage history & see that I am married?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Like the others say.... don't lie. At the intial Customs/Immigration desk all they see is the biographical data when they swipe your passport. If you're sent to secondary they have access to all kinds of things, including the ability to search your belongings. You're not doing anything wrong. Just answer confidently and truthfully and bring your ties. The link I've included below has some good information.

Visitation FAQ's

Moving from K-1 Process to Tourist Visas.

Thanks for the link! I think answering confidently is key. I need to do that. Just a little over anxious i think. We intend to move to the US some where along the line so i just reallyyy don't want to get refused entry and hinder the process. Appreciate the reply!

Timeline

I asked CBP the guy checking me in at the airport. "So what do you see on that computer about me? Do you know I have a British fiance? Do you know there has been a petition filed?" He said "No. We have overstays, denied entries, suspected terrorists and bad guys." Pack appropriately for a short visit, meaning don't bring 50 pairs of shoes, your entire CD collection, and kitchen utensils...which might make it look like you were moving in if they happened to choose your luggage to search. I know a lot of people go into great detail when asked the standard "What is the purpose of your visit?" (when I was entering the UK). I always thought the answer they wanted was business or pleasure. So I always said "pleasure" or "I'm on holiday" and they always went on to "how long are you staying?" I never considered that I was lying or hiding something. I thought business or pleasure was what they wanted to know.

Wow you asked him the exact question i needed answering! Thank you for your reply. I've been on trip to NY a lot and even though i never did anything wrong i always got questioned, twice! they seem to always question me so now i make sure i pack my bags EXPECTING them to be searched. i've answered 'pleasure' and they've asked..are you sure your not here modelling...or working..or trying to get work...i have a .com with my full name with all my modeling work and i always wonder if they just google me and then get suspicious, for that reason i now get extra nervous. Appreciate your reply!

I agree with all the people that are agreeing with what others are agreeing to. :thumbs:

John

lol Thanks!

You don't have to volunteer information, but if you are directly asked a question, you shouldn't lie, and I'll tell you why.

If for some reason they pull you into what's known as secondary inspection, it will be on record linked to your personal data for as long as computers have a memory, as will be anything you say. If you say something that's not true, just to get out of there or to be let into the US, it would be misrepresentation, most likely material misrepresentation. Material if they had not let you enter had they known the truth. The punishment for material misrepresentation is a lifetime ban from the US of A.

That's such a high risk, that telling the truth seems to be the more viable strategy.

Most definitely. Thanks for your input! Appreciate it!

Timeline

It is fraud. You are lying to gain entry into the US.

Lying is also a great way to get a lifetime ban from the US. If you get caught, the consequences will be severe. Is a single trip worth it?

Just tell the damn truth that you are married to a US citizen. Bring supporting documents showing your ties to the US; a job, banking accounts, etc.

Thanks for your input!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.