Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
I AM NOT THAT GUY

Gates says Pentagon will settle for smaller budget

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon can live with a smaller budget this year than the Obama administration originally requested, but the total—not counting war costs—cannot be less than $540 billion, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Monday.

That is about $9 billion less than the White House first requested.

Gates said that Congress' failure to pass a 2011 budget—five months into the fiscal year—is forcing the Pentagon to stick to last year's lower spending level. Those limits, he said, could turn into a crisis if they are not fixed soon. Gates met with key lawmakers for lunch Monday, but he said it's not clear yet what they will do on the 2011 budget.

Laying out the 2012 defense budget, Gates said he is seeking enough money to maintain 98,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan, despite the Obama administration's insistence that it will begin to gradually withdraw forces this July. Gates said that while it's a certainty that the troop level will come down, it made more sense to request stable funding because the administration doesn't know yet how many troops they will need.

Military leaders say the troop reduction will be based on the security situation in Afghanistan.

The 2012 budget request includes about $118 billion for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. That amount is substantially less than the 2011 request of about $160 billion, largely due to the ongoing withdrawal of forces from Iraq.

The 2012 budget also provides $12.8 billion to train and equip the Afghan security forces, which maintains the training at current levels. Officials have said they need more than the current goal of 305,600 army and police, but the budget provides no additional money to support any growth in the training program.

There are currently about 270,000 Afghan security forces, and Afghan President Hamid Karzai is expected to announce his next target for growth in coming weeks. The U.S. and NATO have pressed other nations to provide training, but they are still short about 740 trainers.

Gates spoke to reporters while presenting the administration's defense spending plan for 2012, which begins October 1.

He also warned that he will pursue all potential legal moves to eliminate funding for the alternate engine for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. Cutting the extra engine, he said, will save $3 billion over the life of the program.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9LCQ3300&show_article=1

Edited by Some Old Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon can live with a smaller budget this year than the Obama administration originally requested, but the total—not counting war costs—cannot be less than $540 billion, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Monday.

A pre-emptive strike by the Pentagon to make sure they don't lose more?

Edited by mawilson

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...