Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Engaged on F1 but not filing for adjustment until OPT year

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts


First time I've posted. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I am a Canadian who is currently in the U.S. pursuing graduate studies while in F1 status. My girlfriend (U.S. citizen) and I recently became engaged. We would prefer to wait approximately a year to get married for financial reasons but will do so earlier for immigration purposes if necessary.

We've been looking at the costs associated with adjusting my staus to that of a LPR. It certainly isn't cheap. However, there is a strong possibility I will obtain a position in my chosen field by the time I graduate (May 2011). I could then be working on OPT starting sometime this summer. At that point the cost of getting married and adjusting my status won't be an issue. If I don't find suitable employment we will most likely move to Canada.

My questions are as follows:

1. May I apply for an extension of my student status (i.e. OPT application) while engaged?

2. Are there any problems adjusting status during the OPT year?

Thank you again.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...