2 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We are preparing to file an AOS for my husband (I am the US Cit) who has been in the US for quite a while (legally working) and is currently on TN status. In fact, he has been here working long enough in either TN status or on an H1-B that he has earned the 40 credits required through the Social Security Administration to not need a sponsor. This is great for us, because I am a Stay at Home mom and I have no income.

Has anyone used the I-864W before? What type of documentation did you use to prove the intending immigrant had earned all 40 credits?

Did the sponsor still complete an I-864 (my income is 0 but I do have some assets including savings and retirement- probably could get very close to what I would need to show ($23,000x3=$69,000 in assets)?

My brother is available to act as a co-sponsor and is willing to complete an affidavit of support and he certainly qualifies. However, it seems like it would be easier to just do the I-864 waiver and move on with it...............

Advice? Experiences? THANKS!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I looked into this to during AOS, I had been on TN and at the time had 36 credits, so we did I864 like normal.

I have read other posts in the past about I 864W that say you need a certified Social Security Transcript, but theUSCIS form and instructions are not clear.

You can file a regular I864 and use your husbands TN income as your relative to sponsor himself your (the US citizen's) spouse. Do a search on this website it has come up before.

In our case I asked the interviewer about the 40 credits and she had no Idea. I had 36 when we filed and 40 by the time we interviewed so in effect my Wife's sponsorship of me ended before it started.

Edited by metals95

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.