July-lucky

Birth certificate's full name contains my grandfather's first name... Pls help

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey fellow members,

As you know I am the beneficiary of a K1 visa. I am originally from Ethiopia,have been residing in the UK for a few years and I am now a naturalised british citizen.

In my country origin we use our father's 1st name as a surname. When birth certificate are issued, they would put your 1st name then your father's first name

(Surname to us) followed by your grandfather's 1st name as your full name. For ppl that are not from Ethiopia it would seem as if I have a given middle name which I dont. My birth certificate is the only document that has listed my grandfather's name after my surname. All other documents e.g. Passport, school etc. all have listed my name and surname only.

Here are my questions.

1) On form G-325a it asks all other names used, I wrote down NONE. Do you think I should of put down full name as listed on my birth certificate.

2) on D-230, Q3. It asks for full name in native alphabet,

Do you think I should put my full name as in birth certificate or passport?

3) do you think the fact that name on mypassport dont match to my birth certificate

might cause a problem at the consulate stage ? Or if I explain to them the name at the end is my grandfather's name, then it would be ok. Or do I need to write an affidavit? Please share your knowledges and experiences on this matter.

Thanks very much in advance

Timeline

Guys please I need your advice. I feel this discrepancy might prevent us from being approved. And both my fiancee and I are worried. We dont know if there is a chance of us being on AP. We desperatelly want everything to go smoothly so we can be

together. And if there is anythingwe can do to prepare our selves before our interview

We want to know about it. If you know of similar situations or your selves have been in this kind of situation please let us know. You guys have been of great help to us. And I dont have the words to describe how I feel about this site and its members... Thank you so much. God bless!

• 5 months later...
Timeline

Hi, sorry about your problem, i was wondering what did you do to this issue as i kind of have a simillar problem with my parent name on my BC diferent to the one on my application.

Sorry no one had a suggestion for you!

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey fellow members,

As you know I am the beneficiary of a K1 visa. I am originally from Ethiopia,have been residing in the UK for a few years and I am now a naturalised british citizen.

In my country origin we use our father's 1st name as a surname. When birth certificate are issued, they would put your 1st name then your father's first name

(Surname to us) followed by your grandfather's 1st name as your full name. For ppl that are not from Ethiopia it would seem as if I have a given middle name which I dont. My birth certificate is the only document that has listed my grandfather's name after my surname. All other documents e.g. Passport, school etc. all have listed my name and surname only.

Here are my questions.

1) On form G-325a it asks all other names used, I wrote down NONE. Do you think I should of put down full name as listed on my birth certificate.

2) on D-230, Q3. It asks for full name in native alphabet,

Do you think I should put my full name as in birth certificate or passport?

3) do you think the fact that name on mypassport dont match to my birth certificate

might cause a problem at the consulate stage ? Or if I explain to them the name at the end is my grandfather's name, then it would be ok. Or do I need to write an affidavit? Please share your knowledges and experiences on this matter.

Thanks very much in advance

Okay since no one has replied, I'm going to give you my opinion

Yes, you should have written down other names to be used. I understand what you're saying about the naming in African culture, but I would think it still counts as a 'legal' name. Since you're not applying as an Ethiopian native, they may not understand why that discrepancy occurs. It's kind of like in Iceland, where they name you after your father/mother. As in, your name is "John, James' son" - in Iceland, that would be your actual legal name, even though it sounds so strange to non-Icelanders.

The name your have on your current passport is your current legal name. But the name you were born, I would think, would still be considered a former legal too. It's kind of like how people change their name. Technically your Ethiopian name was legal, and then once you moved to the UK, you changed your name to your current one.

You have not updated your timeline, so I don't know if you have sent in your packet yet. But if it were me, I would just include a signed letter from yourself explaining the name change. Just explain the reason for you original name was due to Ethiopian culture, and when you assimilated to UK culture, you changed your name to a more 'western' name. Provide both your birth certificate and passport showing both names. That should explain any confusion. Also, use the name on your UK passport as your current name.

Hope this helps!

01/09/09 - Sent I-129F

Visa Approved!

23/07/10 - Arrived in the U.S.

28/08/10 - Got Married

20/10/10 - Sent AOS

04/11/10 - InfoPass Appointment to request an Expedited AP

05/11/10 - Expedited AP Approved! RFE requested for AOS

01/02/11 - RFE sent

01/01/11 - RFE Received

01/12/11 - Biometrics taken

01/28/11 - EAD Approved

02/02/11 - AOS moved to CSC

03/07/11 - Greencard Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.