Tim and Erin

What's the best time of day to call DOS?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just called for the first time, and listened to their phone ring for about 5 minutes then hung up. It's after lunch, so I'm assuming most operators are quite busy. I didn't want to run up my phone bill by listening to a phone ringing for hours. :whistle: I'm just wondering what time of day might be better to call, and normally how long would it take for someone to answer. I just want to know if I've been logged in at Montreal.

Thanks all. :)

Very true.

Depending on what time zone you're in, note that the 202-663-1225 number is EDT. I'm on mountain time, so they're 2 hrs ahead. I would say so long as you don't call at lunch or right before the end of the day, it shouldn't be too long of a wait. Expect to wait 3-5 min, sometimes less. Their staff are very friendly and helpful, in my experience.

Good call on contacting DOS instead of the Montreal Consulate...MTL is VERY understaffed and therefore slow to respond.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I used to call at around 3:30-4, and I would wait 5-10 minutes on average... I also would dial 10-10-710 before the 1-202, and this way the call was always 1.12$ even if I stayed on the line for 20 minutes...

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Timeline

I used to call at around 3:30-4, and I would wait 5-10 minutes on average... I also would dial 10-10-710 before the 1-202, and this way the call was always 1.12$ even if I stayed on the line for 20 minutes...

I have used a dial around number to get a better long distance rate too, but I'm actually calling from the States right now, so that 10-10-710 number won't work.

By the way, another dial around number I've used in the past is 10-15-565, and I got basically the same deal on the call as with the 710 number.

Hey maybe someone should post those numbers as a sticky. :yes:

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll give DOS another call tomorrow.

If i call after 3, all i get is ringing and more ringing and more ringing.................... :whistle: I don't have the patience to wait for someone to pick up the phone :no:

I've tried early on in the day as well.

I'm glad others are having luck, cause i sure am not. lol.

Seeing that i have no patience to wait for someone to pick up, i'm going to call again tomorrow :hehe:

I always called just after 8:30 when they just opened. Always got through to an operator right away.

OUR TIMELINE AND K1 JOURNEY

Sept 4, 2009...We meet in Toronto, Canada at a Kid Rock concert
Feb 19, 2010...NOA1 recieved in mail
May 19, 2010...NOA2 (92 days)
Sept 24, 2010...Interview! APPROVED! smile.png
Oct 29, 2010...POE--Buffalo, NY
Nov 10, 2010...Courthouse wedding in NY state
Dec 11, 2010...Beach wedding in Hawaii

Dec 09, 2010...NOA for AOS, EAD, AP
Feb 11, 2011...AOS & EAD approved smile.png
Feb 12, 2011...AP approved smile.png
Feb 18, 2011...Received GREEN CARD smile.png
Feb 18, 2011...Received AP
Feb 22, 2011...Received EAD

Nov 09, 2012...Sent in I-751, Removal of Conditions
Nov 14, 2011...NOA1
Dec 18, 2012...Biometrics

May 03, 2013...10 year GREEN CARD approved! yes.gif

Timeline

I always called just after 8:30 when they just opened. Always got through to an operator right away.

You realize that now everyone who saw your post will be calling just after 8:30 and all the operators will be busy. :P

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If I called first thing in the morning before 10AM EST would have little to no wait. Most often called end of day 330-400pm had 5 minute waits mostly... Longest wait was probably 30 minutes mid day

08/31/2010 POE09/25/2010 Civil WeddingAOS Timeline10/11/2010 AOS Package Sent10/20/2010 NOA's for AOS/EAD/AP11/12/2010 Biometrics Appointment1/4/2011 Received EAD and AP documents!1/11/2011 AOS Interview - APPROVED!!1/15/2011 - Received Approval notice for I-485, Green card on its way!!1/21/2011 - Received Green Card!!Removal of Conditions11/1/2012-Sent Application to California Service Center ..... N-40007/29/2016 - Received date at Phoenix lockbox 8/01/2016 - N-400 NOA<p>xx/xx/xxxx - BiometricsOnto the next step!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

first thign in the am..otherwise i never got through. mind you i started calling a few minutes before they technically opened in the hope someone would answer anyway lol and they did.

HWDWm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.