onesassygirl

Vancouver vs Montreal

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's great to have found the Canadian threads :)

Long story short, has anyone ever asked NVC to change the consulate their case goes to?

Long story long, we wrote down Vancouver on the I-129 (because I am from Winnipeg and Winnipeg is generally thought of as being in the west). Now, how does NVC know which consulate to forward cases to? Is it purely based on one's region or does it depend on which consulate is less backed up?

As soon as they receive my case, I was thinking of calling them to ask if it was possible to switch it to Montreal. My family recently moved out east and I would like to visit them out there before I move to the States (granted I get the visa). It'll make it cheaper and more convenient for me travel-wise, but if I get stuck with Vancouver, then that's fine too.

I just wanted to know if anyone has heard of NVC being okay with such requests...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's based on region, and NVC automatically sends your approved petition to the correct and appropriate consulate. However, NVC has made mistakes in the past and sent it to the wrong consulate.

To be quite frank with you, I'd hesitate to ask to switch your petition to Montreal--they have a much busier workload than Vancouver and they usually take much longer to set up an interview date. But that is up to you, and I would direct that questioning to the consulate itself. Some people have been successful in switching from Montreal to Vancouver, I have yet to see the reverse -- let us know if/when you are successful!

and yes, you will deal with Vancouver....from the consulate website.. :)

"Applicants must also be residing in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the Yukon or the Northwest Territories. All other applicants in Canada are processed at the U.S. Consulate in Montreal."

http://vancouver.usconsulate.gov/content/c...cument=applying

best of luck with whatever you decide!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

It also says on your NOA2 which consulate but you should be at Vancouver based on living in Manitoba.

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

----------------------------

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anyone know how long it's taking Montreal to schedule interview dates these days? I thought I saw somewhere it's taking 3 months... is that about right?

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 11, 2006- Sent I-129f ~ Finally!!!

August 12, 2006- I-129f received

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

August 29, 2006 - Touched

Sept 7, 2006 - NOA2 as per USCIS website ~ Approved in 27 days!

Sept 13, 2006- Received N0A2 by mail

Sept 15, 2006- Received letter from NVC dated Sept 13 that case will be sent to Montreal within a week

Oct 2, 2006- Received Packet 3 from MTL!

Oct 11, 2006 - Mailed back Packet 3 to MTL

Oct 19, 2006 - MTL received Packet 3

Nov 15, 2006 - Medical appointment in Ottawa

Dec 22, 2006 - Received Packet #4

Jan 25, 2007 - Interview date @ 14h30

Jan 4th 2007- Phoned MTL Consulate to reschedule interview for late April due to Navy deployment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.