tuesdaysgone

USCIS Ombudsman

1 post in this topic

Is it worth complaining to the USCIS Ombudsman?

Basically in June 09 my wife and I filed an i-485 and i-130. We were interviewed in September and wasnt given a decision then due to a technically regarding the marriage. We were told we would get a decision by the end of September.

By mid October we heard nothing and called USCIS service center to find out what is going on, we were informed they cant assist and will send a service request to the USCIS office handling the papers.

A week later we got the service request which stated the case was outside the normal processing times because it is undergoing additional review. We waited a month and wrote to our congressman and senator requesting assistance.

Early January we got a response from the congressman adv the case has been allocated to an immigration officer for final review.

By February we didnt hear nothing and made an infopass appointment. We were told at the appointment we would have to come back for a second interview but they didnt know when. A month later we received a notice of intent to deny the I-130 and given 30 days to appeal. I prepared an appeal letter with evidence and was mailed within the 30 day appeal period.

A few days later we received the receipt and confirmation they got the appeal letter with the uscis appeal form.

It has been nearly 3 months and we have not heard anything. We called uscis for another service request and was advised the case is undergoing additional review.

Today we got a call from the senators office, they called uscis for an update, uscis said they received the appeal letter and evidence and its in the file, but it hasnt been touched since it arrived, just filed. The senators office requested they begin action on it immiediately.

Is it worth complaining about this or will it jepardize my chance of a successful appeal? I've heard so many bad things about USCIS that I am in fear to complain on the basis they will immiediately deny my case because I've complained to someone above them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.