Sgt. McGee

IAP-66 Carbon Copy is Hard to Read

1 post in this topic

I mentioned in another thread that my fiancée and I are planning to be married in June, and then file AOS paperwork. She's 9 years overstayed on a J-1, but hasn't had any run-ins with the law, or anything like that, so aside from the overstay, she's in pretty good shape. The thing is, her passport expired in 2004. At that time, she went to the Czech embassy, and got a new passport issued, but they took her old one, so we don't have her entry stamp anymore. We do have her I-94, and the carbon copy of her IAP-66, but I'm not sure how big of a deal it will be to not have the entry stamp/passport page.

I'd feel a lot better about things if it weren't for the fact that her IAP-66 is a bit of a mess, in that the information entered doesn't quite line up with the lines/boxes it's supposed to be tied to. Everything seems to be too high, and to the right. It's this way for much of the page (boxes 2, 4, 5, and 7, so it seems like the stack of carbons wasn't lined up quite right. As a result, the "x" for "is not subject to the two year residence requirement" floats above the ( ) for that x. There are no floating marks above/around the "government financing" "Exchange visitor skills list" or "PL 94 484 as amended" boxes that would be checked if the "is subject based on" box had been intended, but we really want to be sure we've got things right.

I called her au pair program, who assured me that the funds for the program are paid entirely by the host family, and there is no government money (from either government) for their au pairs. The woman I spoke to also promised to look for their copy of the IAP-66, but warned me that they probably don't have that anymore, since it's been so long.

It doesn't seem like she'd be subject under the skills list, either, since the Czech Republic was removed from the skills list in 1997, and her skill (as an au pair) wasn't on the list anyway.

Is there anything we should be looking for/doing to help confirm that she's not subject to the 212(e) HRR? Do we essentially have to prove that she's not subject, or will this evidence, such as it is, simply serve to confirm what they'll already know (so we don't have to make a case so much as substantiate what's already believed to be true)?

Can the au pair program provide any help even if they can't find the form, maybe a statement that there was no government funding, or something like that?

According to the form, a copy of the form was provided to USIA at that time. Can they possibly be of any help?

06/18/10 Married

08/12/10 - Day 0 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765 (USPS Express Mail)

08/13/10 - Day 1 - Delivery Confirmation at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

08/20/10 - Day 8 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) confirmation of acceptance/NOA issued for I-130, I-485, I-765

10/09/10 - Day 58 - EAD (I-765) case visible online, others still not showing up.

10/21/10 - Day 70 - Spoke to 2nd-tier support, got a "referral" opened on the biometrics appointment (as in, why isn't there one yet?)

10/29/10 - Day 78 - Biometrics appt letter received (scheduled for November 18 in Alexandria)

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Successful Walk-In Biometrics at Alexandria, VA

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered"

11/09/10 - Day 89 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered" (same text, same everything, just a second notice)

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Email/SMS notice of "EAD Approved"

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Received EAD card in mail (same day as notification of approval, no other snail mail notices)

12/07/10 - Day 117 - AOS Interview letter received (scheduled for January 10, 2011)

01/10/11 - Day 153 - AOS Interview complete - verbally approved, but we're not believing it until the card shows up.

01/14/11 - Day 157 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) notification of approval of I-485

01/15/11 - Day 158 - Received notice of I-485 approval in mail

01/18/11 - Day 161 - Received Green Card in mail!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.