JamesandTricia

We have an interview date! And a few problems...

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Okay, we haven't been on the site for a while... Sorry! Married bliss and all...

We filed our AOS paperwork, along with the EAD stuff not long after the wedding. The EAD was sent back due to an overpayment on our part (honest of them, eh?)

Anyway, that was May. Here we are in August and the interview is set for the 31st of August...

So, the problems...

1: No social security number yet. I've been declined until I have an EAD- which still hasn't turned up yet! So that leads to problem number...

2: Very little evidence of a relationship- on paper that is. We have marriage certificates and photos. We have just the lease of our apartment in our name, since they didn't require my SSN. No bank account stuff, no joint savings accounts... not even health insurance.

Will this lead to issues during the interview? We can answer any question they want!

Advice people?

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline

Not having a SSN is not a problem for the interview.... as to additional evidence... do you have:

Junk mail addressed to you at your home..

Letters & cards sent to you both.. holidays/birthdays

You named as beneficuary for 401K/life insureance

Blockbuster video membership card in joint names

Cant think of anymore for now... but hope that helps

Good Luck

Kezzie

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, our adjudicator was looking for documents that verified 'co-mingling of assets'. His words.

I'm not understanding why you don't have the SS number yet unless you waited too long to apply for it? At any rate it's a moot point now. I'd start off by explaining to the adjudicator that lack of the number is preventing you from doing business in America. They will probably understand.

Try going and getting an account someplace that might not require a SS number. Like one of those rent-to-own furniture places. Video rental card? Go make a lay-a-way someplace for a small piece of furniture and have the account set up in both names. How about purchasing a small life insurance policy? Go have your wills done and make them reciprocal - spouse inherits all. What about your utility bills? It's especially easy to work with the local municipality to get accounts set up in both names (ie the water bill, trash, etc.). Not as big as the gas, electric and phone companies you know.

I'd suggest taking anything and everything you've got in both names. Wedding congrats cards with the envelopes. Junk mail. Etc.

Oh and get those wedding pics in an album. We took 3 albums that detailed our entire courtship including visits, etc. but the only one he wanted to see was the wedding album.

Before my husband had his social security number, I was able to put him onto my credit card account (through Capital One). They didn't require a SSN and sent him a card with the same account number as me, but which had his name on it. We used this for part of our evidence. We had our interview so quickly, we hardly had time to accumulate evidence but brought photos, wedding cards and invitations that we had sent, mail with his name on it which also had our mutual address. It seemed to be enough evidence for our interviewer. good luck

I129-F

Packet sent............10/12/05

NOA 1....................10/17/05

NOA 2....................11/07/05

Received packet 3...12/16/05

Interview date.........04/20/06

Visa received..........04/20/06

Date of US entry......04/30/06

Wedding.................05/28/06

I-485/I-765

AOS/EAD packet sent.........6/02/06

NOA1 AOS.........................6/14/06

NOA1 EAD.........................6/16/06

Biometrics.........................7/03/06

Interview date...................7/28/06

AOS approved !! ...............7/28/06

"Welcome to the USA" letter.....8/04/06

Greencard arrives!!..............8/14/06

AOS approved in 45 days!!

I-751 Removing conditions

Packet sent................4/26/08

Check cashed.............5/02/08

Biometrics..................5/27/08

Approved..................10/17/08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I've looked around and we have a few letters with my name and the current address. We've got plenty of pictures- we'll get them in an envelope. We'll get a Blockbuster account- that shouldn't be hard.

My SSN request was declined- I was told that I'd need to provide proof of being able to work legally before I could get one. Since it's likely now that my interview might come before I get an EAD, it seems a moot point now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.