TheBears

Sawasdee 4 (Thai K-1s in 2010)

1,202 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Bumrungrad, BNH, Param9, and Siraraj are all excellent, though the problem might be with his US-based medical insurance not being accepted in Thailand.

His blog says he is a retired marine. Assuming he has tricare, he's covered.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just received an e-mail this morning notifying us of our K1 interview date set for March 3rd, 2011 at 7am.

Daryl & Jeep had suggested that I send an email to the Thai Embassy to inquire about the status of our petition (they had previously done the same thing).

I sent the email Saturday evening....and got our interview schedule today (Monday).

It may have been a coincidence or the email may have brought our file to their attention....either way I'm pretty happy right now.

Thanks for your help Daryl & Jeep.

Here's our "Embassy" timeline so far:

Petition received at Bangkok Embassy - December, 29, 2010

Egg received packet 3 - January 12, 2011

Egg sent in (returned) packet 3 - January 24, 2011

Received email with interview date - February 7, 2011

Interview date - March 3, 2011

July 10, 2010 - I 129F package mailed to Calif. Service Center

July 16, 2010 - Package received at CSC (less than 10 miles from my house)

July 22, 2010 - Received NOA-1

July 29, 2010 - Touched

Dec 07, 2010 - Approval email from USCIS NOA-2 mailed

Dec 09, 2010 - Received NOA-2 Hardcopy

Dec 21, 2010 - NVC received Package

Dec 29, 2010 - Package received at Bangkok Embassy

Jan 12, 2011 - Received Packet 3

Jan 24, 2011 - Returned packet 3

Feb 7, 2011 - Received Packet 4 (Interview date)

March 3, 2011 - Interview - K1 visa approved!!

April 4, 2011 - Egg arrives in California

May 25, 2011 - Married

His blog says he is a retired marine. Assuming he has tricare, he's covered.

Good point. Bumrungrad, BNH and Bangkok General are the Tricare providers in BKK.

Edited by toma1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well, our thread has dropped to the bottom of the barrel again!!! Shame!!! 55555555. Got our I-791 welcoming Teaw to the USA as a new resident alien!! Now we will see how long it takes to get the card in the mail.

Timeline

Well, our thread has dropped to the bottom of the barrel again!!! Shame!!! 55555555. Got our I-791 welcoming Teaw to the USA as a new resident alien!! Now we will see how long it takes to get the card in the mail.

That is great you got the letter first. We got our card, and then a week later got the letter. LOL

Timeline

Hey everyone, I just had a couple of questions that I've been pouring over the forums trying to find answers to:

This is for a K-1 Visa:

1) My fiance is from Chiang Mai. She had to go down to Bangkok in order to get her police certificate. I was talking with my congressman's office, and they told me that the NVC just sent out my approved application about 6 days ago (or so) to the Bangkok Embassy. Now, there is a local Chiang Mai consulate. Will I be sending the items that we're picking up early (the things for packet 3) to Bangkok or to Chiang Mai, and the most important question we have is, do we have to go to Bangkok for the interview, or can it be done in Chiang Mai at the consulate?

2) I-134, I was a student up until May 2010, the current poverty rate for two is: $14,710. I didn't start making that much until last year, which was about $20,000 and this year I'm projected at $25k, and things are looking great for that continuing to grow. I'm under the understanding that Thailand doesn't accept co-sponsors (though I got my dad to fill out all the paperwork just in case--in case I needed to use it as a backup.). I have current letters from my employers, and the past 4 years of tax returns. Do you think this will be a problem, or has anyone actually been able to use a co-sponsor? (edit: I also don't own any property, I have about 8k in savings. I'm currently renting, not owning, so should I bother to fill any of that stuff out? I've been told that leaving it blank is better than putting $0 or N/A as that implies that you don't have anything. How has this information compared to your experiences in the Thailand embassies? Thanks!)

Thanks for your help so much everyone, I can't wait to continue being a part of the community after she gets here. I'm learning so much as I go along, that I really would like to help others as much as I can through the process as well! Thanks!

Edited by Eddie & Yana

Timeline

Hey everyone, I just had a couple of questions that I've been pouring over the forums trying to find answers to:

This is for a K-1 Visa:

1) My fiance is from Chiang Mai. She had to go down to Bangkok in order to get her police certificate. I was talking with my congressman's office, and they told me that the NVC just sent out my approved application about 6 days ago (or so) to the Bangkok Embassy. Now, there is a local Chiang Mai consulate. Will I be sending the items that we're picking up early (the things for packet 3) to Bangkok or to Chiang Mai, and the most important question we have is, do we have to go to Bangkok for the interview, or can it be done in Chiang Mai at the consulate?

2) I-134, I was a student up until May 2010, the current poverty rate for two is: $14,710. I didn't start making that much until last year, which was about $20,000 and this year I'm projected at $25k, and things are looking great for that continuing to grow. I'm under the understanding that Thailand doesn't accept co-sponsors (though I got my dad to fill out all the paperwork just in case--in case I needed to use it as a backup.). I have current letters from my employers, and the past 4 years of tax returns. Do you think this will be a problem, or has anyone actually been able to use a co-sponsor? (edit: I also don't own any property, I have about 8k in savings. I'm currently renting, not owning, so should I bother to fill any of that stuff out? I've been told that leaving it blank is better than putting $0 or N/A as that implies that you don't have anything. How has this information compared to your experiences in the Thailand embassies? Thanks!)

Thanks for your help so much everyone, I can't wait to continue being a part of the community after she gets here. I'm learning so much as I go along, that I really would like to help others as much as I can through the process as well! Thanks!

On your I-129F you had specified which embassy you were applying at. Check your forms and you will know where it is being sent.

As for the poverty level you are using the wrong number (unless you are active military, which since you said you were a student, I don't think you are), it should be 18,212. I have not heard of anyone in Thailand having a co-sponsor accepted, not that it doesn't happen i just haven't seen it. I know there were some cases of the embassy denying based on being barely over the poverty level.

Good luck, and welcome.

Timeline

AaronLV, thanks for bringing my incorrect poverty level to my attention. I had just done a quick google search for it, and appreciate the more accurate information.

Do you know what qualifies as "barely over"?

Also, do you think it would be a problem that I make 25k this year, with an income of 20k last year? Is it a problem that I haven't made that poverty level steadily for three years? I know that whether you think it or not doesn't make an ultimate difference, that it's the interviewers decision, etc. but I'd like to know from someone who may have been in a similar situation or something to see how they fared :). Not that there's a lot I could do about it :P

Do you know what qualifies as "barely over"?

$1.

Also, do you think it would be a problem that I make 25k this year, with an income of 20k last year? Is it a problem that I haven't made that poverty level steadily for three years? I know that whether you think it or not doesn't make an ultimate difference, that it's the interviewers decision, etc.

Just be prepared to explain and document why it is going to go up and that this year's income is not a fluke and you should be fine. For example:

If you had a one time inheritance that pushed you over the limit, that would be a problem.

If you had a job and got a permanent raise, you would probably have no problem as long as you could document that.

Timeline

Thanks for the help. Last question, I've read some things about people getting certain pieces of paperwork Notarized. Is this something I need to be concerned with? What needs to be notarized. Sorry, just excited to get this all done and I don't want to miss a thing! :)

Thanks for your help

I put this in here as well, because I didn't know if they were particular about this on a country-by-country basis.

Thanks!

Timeline

Okay, so I couldn't find an edit button for my last post, but I finally found a definitive source while looking for the answer, and found out that I don't need my I-134 notarized anymore (I'm not familiar with the notary process).

Thanks!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Okay, so I couldn't find an edit button for my last post, but I finally found a definitive source while looking for the answer, and found out that I don't need my I-134 notarized anymore (I'm not familiar with the notary process).

Thanks!!!

Correct. Nothing needs to be notarized.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

United has $1189 all inclusive fares from Tampa->Bangkok in March at the moment. Not sure how widespread this pricing is, but that's quite good from here.

(This is kind of a glorified topic bump.)

Hello everyone it was a long Journey but.........Today Jeep was appoved for her Visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope everyone here has this good news soon..........thank you to all the members here for

your kindness and help in this process.

Daryl & Jeep

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.