TheBears

Sawasdee 4 (Thai K-1s in 2010)

1,202 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Enjoy the travel and glad you are keeping the Sawasdee thread alive, I remember many years ago it was always on the first page.

Jul. 22, 04-Jum and I met in Thailand.

Jul. 21, 05-I-129F arrives at TSC

Aug. 23, 05-NOA1 Notice Date

Aug. 27, 05-NOA1 arrives in mail

Oct. 13, 05-NOA2 confirmed by email

Oct. 18, 05-NOA2 received in mail

Oct. 24, 05-NVC letter received

Nov. 18, 05-Packet 3 received

Dec. 15, 05-Police Record/Medical/Interview Assigned

Feb. 5, 06-C.J.& Jum together in Thailand

Feb. 7, 06-Interview Day-APPROVED! (6 1/2 months)

Feb. 11, 06-Engagement Ceremony

May 8, 06-POE JFK, Temp. EAD Received

May 18, 06-Apply for SS#, Jun. 18, 06-Receive SS Card

Jul. 3, 06-Married!

AOS Journey

Aug. 10, 06-AOS Package Sent

Aug. 18, 06-AOS, AP, EAD Receipt Notice Date

Aug. 28, 06-Received AOS Biometrics Appointment Letter

Aug. 28, 06-I-485 transfer to CSC

Sep. 13, 06-CSC received AOS

Sep. 14, 06-AOS/EAD Biometrics

Sep. 15, 06-AOS Touched #1

Sep. 26, 06-AOS Touched #2

Sep. 27, 06-AOS Touched #3

Sep. 28, 06-Email notice of Welcome Letter mailed! (AOS Day 40)

Oct. 2, 06-Welcome letter received

Oct. 3, 06-Email notification of approval notice mailed.

Oct. 5, 06-Green card received.

Oct. 7, 06-NC Driver License Received

I-751 Timeline

Sep. 8, 08-I-751 Arrives at VSC

Sep. 11, 08-I-751 NOA1 Received

Nov. 14, 08-Biometrics Appointment

EVERYTHING APPROVED at the end of Dec. 2008, finally.

Jul 10, 11-Citizenship application submitted.

Feb. 16, 12-CITIZENSHIP GRANTED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I got the open satellite stations. They're from Laos and Thailand. I watch it for the Russia Today news and Al Jazeera. She watches some of the stuff but after being here for a while, the quality and content of programming is very different (I'll just say that) so she doesn't watch much of the Thai stuff. It's all the same, anyway, some colored shirt did something to another colored shirt blah blah king blah blah overthrow, riot, etc. Nothing new in 40+ years in Thailand.

7/21/08 I 129f K-1 app given to Siam Legal Lawyers office

8/3/08 K-1 I 129f Sent (Atty Ofc made mistake delayed app, we learned later)

8/14/08 NOA-1

1/23/09 RFE Color Passport Picture

1/29/09 RFE Color Pics sent

2/3/09 RFE Pics USCIS acknowledged

4/28/09 NOA-2

5/01/09 NVC Received

5/01/09 Left NVC

5/15/09 Embassy Sent Packet 3 (we did not receive-they have correct addresses)

6/19/09 Packet 3 to Embassy

6/28/09 Appointment (packet 4) never mailed, had to ask to get email-they've got correct addresses

7/23/09 Interview Scheduled for 7:00am (A YEAR AFTER SUBMISSION)!!!!!!!!!!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/28/09 Pick up visa

8/11/09 She came to the USA with me!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

When you're out in LA, you may wish to visit Thai town. They have some supplies that are tougher to find here on the east coast. I was out there two weeks ago and sent home a box full for my wife.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thai Town is not what you think it is. You think of it as an area that looks like Thailand or is full of Thai stores and buildings in one area. While there are many Thai stores and restaurants, if you didn't know it

I imagine you could drive right by it. But there is at least one great book store that I know of where you can get Thai books, CDs, movies and magazines. And there is a great Thai bakery that has tons of great Thai

desserts and stuff too. I plan on taking Teaw there when we head back out to So. Cal. in December so she can get some reading material to keep her happy reading Thai stuff.

hi all! a little help. my MIL has an emergency and we need to send her some money, what's the least expensive and quickest way to send money, wells and bofa want $45 bucks which is alot on a the few hundred we are sending.

thanks in advance.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline

hi all! a little help. my MIL has an emergency and we need to send her some money, what's the least expensive and quickest way to send money, wells and bofa want $45 bucks which is alot on a the few hundred we are sending.

thanks in advance.

how soon does she need the money?

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

We pay for our place over there by depositing money in an account here and having friends in Bangkok withdraw the money with an ATM card and make the payment... costs 150 baht per withdrawal.

I assume that would be the cheapest way for you too, but you might not have the time to do it now. Good idea for the future, though...

Timeline

thanks in advance.

If you have the time, send over an ATM card for a bank that also credits your account for any ATM fees. That way, you get an excellent exchange rate and you pay $0 in fees. It doesn't get any cheaper than that. Unless you have already done this, there is no quick way to send money without either paying a transfer fee or dealing with a poor exchange rate (or both, in some cases).

Edited by rsn

hi everybody, thanks for all the responses, turns out western union was only $11.99 and my SIL could pick it up at bangkok bank in ratchaburi. this is the only time we have ever been asked for money so no need for a bank card, unfortunately my MIL was in a motorcycle accident and needed some money this month to pay her mortgage to the bank and hospital bill since she won't work for a bit. main thing is she will be fine!!! unfortunately though she killed a dog, she feels pretty awful about that too.

btw exchange rate is lousy right now!!!

Edited by Kang Lang

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline

hi everybody, thanks for all the responses, turns out western union was only $11.99 and my SIL could pick it up at bangkok bank in ratchaburi. this is the only time we have ever been asked for money so no need for a bank card, unfortunately my MIL was in a motorcycle accident and needed some money this month to pay her mortgage to the bank and hospital bill since she won't work for a bit. main thing is she will be fine!!! unfortunately though she killed a dog, she feels pretty awful about that too.

btw exchange rate is lousy right now!!!

Hope your MIL feels better soon.

The exchange rate is about 30 THB/1 USD right now. Western Union and any other transfer services will use a much less ideal exchange rate. Bank to bank wire transfers or ATM withdrawals provide some of the best exchange rates.

Edited by rsn

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The problem is bank fees for wiring money are too high. Western Union, which I have used a few times in the past, lowers the exchange rate but it's usually cheaper to send money unless you are sending thousands at once.

Sure, an ATM card with a bank that does not charge the fees or reimburses them is great but not easy to find and then you have to have an acct. with that bank.

The problem is bank fees for wiring money are too high. Western Union, which I have used a few times in the past, lowers the exchange rate but it's usually cheaper to send money unless you are sending thousands at once.

Sure, an ATM card with a bank that does not charge the fees or reimburses them is great but not easy to find and then you have to have an acct. with that bank.

Online banks often refund ATM fees. The main problem with them in this circumstance is that you have to mail in the deposit which, in turn, makes it less than useful for fast transactions. I don't know of any local banks that refund foreign ATM fees.

Charles Schwab Bank is what I use. They refund all foreign ATM fees (no limit) and charge none of their own, but that's my regular account. I wouldn't give someone an ATM card on that one.

The best exchange rate in Bangkok (maybe the whole world) is at Superrich (there are two companies that are both called Superrich, and both have similar rates).

Superrich rates today are USD100 BUY29.95 SELL30.10

That spread is a little worse than normal, but knowing that place, it's probably the best there is right now... I would guess the worsening spread is related to current USD instability.

Edited by toma1

Timeline

Online banks often refund ATM fees. The main problem with them in this circumstance is that you have to mail in the deposit which, in turn, makes it less than useful for fast transactions. I don't know of any local banks that refund foreign ATM fees.

Use a local bank for deposits, do an e-transfer to your onliine bank, keep a sandboxed account attached to the ATM card you send over to thailand. No mailing in deposits, no fees, no hassle, no problems.

Use a local bank for deposits, do an e-transfer to your onliine bank, keep a sandboxed account attached to the ATM card you send over to thailand. No mailing in deposits, no fees, no hassle, no problems.

In order to get a system like that with no fees from a local bank, they want direct deposit of my salary. Otherwise the local fees are crazy these days.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi, I want to know....how much evidence is needed for the K-1 visa? We want to get married now, but we're so young, so I'm afraid that will make it difficult. We talk for six hours on the phone everyday, and we plan out our future, but we are also just above the poverty line. Are we doomed?

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview
Interview date: 12/14/11 APPROVED!
POE: 12/16/11
Total days from NOA1 to K-1 Visa in hand: 202
Wedding Date: 12/27/11

AOS
Sent AOS: 4/21/12
NOA1: 4/30/12
RFE: 5/14/12
Biometrics App.: 5/21/12
Sent RFE Response: 5/31/12
Interview: 7/24/12
Approval: 10/12/12

Currently.... they have issued Ice the incorrect GC and we have tried 4 times to fix it. First time they had us send it to the incorrect address. Second time they said we used an expired form, which was the form they gave us. Third time was "oh sorry we lost the last page, can you send it again?." Fourth time is the gov is shut down. Will this ever be corrected in time for Ice to get the permanent GC? Stay tuned to find out. T_T

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.