echang03

Complicated Situation

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey everyone, my name is Eric and I'm currently a college student in New York City.

I applied to citizenship in November, and I'm scheduled for an interview in early May. I was originally planning to get my citizenship before the summer and spend the summer in Taiwan and study abroad in Shanghai for the fall semester. However, a mailing situation came up in February and I missed my interview (hence it is now rescheduled to early May). Because of this mailing situation, I'm not going to finish my citizenship process before the summer. So I thought I could interview in May, go back to Taiwan on 6/1 for 2 months, and then do the oath when I come back. This case I would have to give up studying abroad next semester.

However, next semester is really the only semester which I can study abroad, and I was thinking if this could logistically work.

Interview in May

Fly back to Taiwan on 6/1 with my Taiwanese passport

Fly to Shanghai for study abroad on 9/1 with my Taiwanese documents

(hopefully schedule my oath around October-ish or anytime in the Fall) My address is with my cousin so there will be no mailing issues

Fly back to New York, do the oath, expedited passport service, and my physical presence will still be satisfied.

Fly back to Shanghai with new American passport.

Can someone please go over this and see if this is possible?

Thank you SO much

Eric

Edited by echang03

Hey everyone, my name is Eric and I'm currently a college student in New York City.

I applied to citizenship in November, and I'm scheduled for an interview in early May. I was originally planning to get my citizenship before the summer and spend the summer in Taiwan and study abroad in Shanghai for the fall semester. However, a mailing situation came up in February and I missed my interview (hence it is now rescheduled to early May). Because of this mailing situation, I'm not going to finish my citizenship process before the summer. So I thought I could interview in May, go back to Taiwan on 6/1 for 2 months, and then do the oath when I come back. This case I would have to give up studying abroad next semester.

However, next semester is really the only semester which I can study abroad, and I was thinking if this could logistically work.

Interview in May

Fly back to Taiwan on 6/1 with my Taiwanese passport

Fly to Shanghai for study abroad on 9/1 with my Taiwanese documents

(hopefully schedule my oath around October-ish or anytime in the Fall) My address is with my cousin so there will be no mailing issues

Fly back to New York, do the oath, expedited passport service, and my physical presence will still be satisfied.

Fly back to Shanghai with new American passport.

Can someone please go over this and see if this is possible?

Thank you SO much

Eric

Eric,

I may be misunderstanding this... would you not want to have your US citizenship BEFORE you leave? If all goes well, you may be able to have an oath ceremony pretty quickly (possibly even on the same day), apply for a passport (expedited should take around 2 weeks) and then be free to go and not worry about physical presence requirements, mailing address, etc.

(EXCEPT, if you would intentionally NOT want to have the US citizenship while studying abroad due to higher tuition...?)

Make sure you ask about your Oath Date at the interview, and maybe even discuss your situation and the urgency, if the IO is open to helping.

Good luck on your journey!

N-400

Feb. 2010: Eligible to & getting ready to file Naturalization application

Feb. 20: Sent application (Priority Mail) to TX lockbox

Feb. 22: Date of Application receipt

Mar. 26: Date of Biometrics - completed

Apr. 12: Received Interview letter (dated Apr. 6)

May 12: Date of Interview - San Francisco office

May 24: Date of Oath letter

June 17: Oath Ceremony/ Naturalization

Apr. 8 2009: Sent I 751 (Express Mail) to CSC

Apr. 9: USCIS Received package (per USPS online confirmation)

Apr. 16: Return Receipt in the Mail showing receipt date of April 13

Apr. 20: Check cleared (Deposit date Apr. 16)

Apr. 22: NOA Received (Shows receipt date of Apr. 9)

May 12: Called USCIS. No record of my receipt# (which they said is normal for I751s). Put in Service Request re. Bio Appt. They said to expect to hear from CSC within 45 days

May 15: Received Bio Appt. (YAYYYYY!!! :) Dated May 11th

May 22: Received letter responding to the phone inquiry, with copy of Bio Appt Notice attached (letter dated May 13th, mailed May 20th)

May 27: Completed Biometrics, as scheduled (in 15 minutes! They were VERY nice, too! :)

May 27: Can follow case online with the Receipt# on Bio letter

June 11: Received APPROVAL letter (WOW!!!), dated June 5th

THIS WAS FAST! :) :) :)

July 9: Email from CRIS - Card production ordered

July 13: Email from CRIS - Approval notice sent (Probably the actual Card :)

July 15: CARD IS IN MAILBOX!!! :)

Filed: Timeline

Eric,

I may be misunderstanding this... would you not want to have your US citizenship BEFORE you leave? If all goes well, you may be able to have an oath ceremony pretty quickly (possibly even on the same day), apply for a passport (expedited should take around 2 weeks) and then be free to go and not worry about physical presence requirements, mailing address, etc.

(EXCEPT, if you would intentionally NOT want to have the US citizenship while studying abroad due to higher tuition...?)

Make sure you ask about your Oath Date at the interview, and maybe even discuss your situation and the urgency, if the IO is open to helping.

Good luck on your journey!

Hey thanks for the reply. I would love to have my citizenship before I leave, but I already planned to fly to Hawaii for a wedding and straight to Taiwan after that for the summer)I'm in the New York area, and I don't think I've seen around the forums that anyone has had same day oath. But I'll think about not going to the wedding and delaying my flight to Taiwan till later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.