Kukolka

Questions asked when crossing border for visit after I-129F filed

1 post in this topic

Dave and I are together for a week.. we both drove out yesterday to meet halfway between where we live. For proof of ties to Canada he brought a letter from his employer, and the NOA1, NOA2, and entire duplicate packet I'd sent him of the I-129F to show we're going through the process legally.

For reference, here's the outline of the letter from his employer:

Re: [Mr. David Xxxxx]

To Whom It May Concern

This letter is to verify that [Company], from [Date] to present, employed Mr. David Xxxxx as a [job title]. Mr. Xxxxx is currently employed Monday through Friday, 7:00am to 3:00pm. Mr. Xxxxx is expected back to work each Monday until September 2010, with the possible exception of a one-week vacation, after which he is expected to return the following Monday.

If you have any questions or require further information, please contact me at 519-###-#### or my cell 519-###-####.

This is what the border guard asked him:

- Passport?

-- [handed over passport]

- Citizenship?

[Dave thought he was talking about a card. The guard laughed and said most Canadians think we want a card, we just want you to state your nationality.]

-- Canadian.

- Purpose of trip?

-- To visit my fiancee.

- Where are you going?

-- [town where we're meeting], New York.

- Where are you from?

-- Ontario.

- Where in Ontario?

-- [named small town]

- Where is [small town]?

-- About [proximity to city]

- Where in New York is your fiancee from?

-- She's not from New York, she's from Connecticut, but we're meeting halfway in New York.

- Oh OK, what do you do for a living?

-- [job, company name]

- [Asked to pop trunk to search it.]

-- [popped trunk]

- Have a safe trip, enjoy.

The questioning was about 5 minutes total. He didn't ask to see any of the proof, the letter nor the petition paperwork. I was SOOOOOO happy to get the text at 09:03 "im thru border" =D That made the rest of my drive so much easier!

We went to Timmie's for breakfast this morning, it was my first time even though there is one in my hometown, LOL. And today we're going to Bed Bath & Beyond for registry shopping. xD And the rest of the week.. just yay that we get to spend it together! ^^

Edited by Kukolka

~ Long version of K-1 timeline in profile "About Me" ~

November 2007 - Met on Tortus server of Rappelz

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

13 November 2010 - POE Lewiston NY

28 November 2010 - Married!

23 December 2010 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

31 January 2011 - walk-in Biometrics

04 March 2011 - Green Card Production ordered - no interview

05 December 2012 - Mailed I-751

VJsig.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.