cEzYcHiC

Pinay nurses as USRN's

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all! It's been 2 months since my last post. It's amazing how much it changed here in VJ in 2 months. It took a while for me to figure out how to post. LOL! :lol:

Anyways, this topic is for all Pinay nurses out there who are here in the US working as RN's. I have a couple of questions for you guys out there. I recently got offered a position in a LTC facility this month. Though I have mixed emotions regarding the position and the feeling that I'm back in the nursing field. I took a year off for myself to adjust my life here at the same time to get licensed. It seems overwhelming and I just don't know what to expect.

With your current job, how was your orientation phase? I did asked the recruiter on how long the orientation phase is, but she told me that it totally depends on the employee. They don't wanna pressure new employees as we are all different and not a lot of people catch up with a snap of a finger. So, how many months did it took you to learn everything?

How was your relationship with your co-workers? I get anxious to people of higher authority---people that speaks the English language well. I speak the language good but sometimes, my nerves get the best of me and I stutter. Really, I think it's embarassing. Makes me feel soo little of myself, but I'm always trying.

LTC facility is new to me. My previous working experiences were in Labor and Delivery as well as Peds. So, its typically a different world. I haven't picked a specialty yet though I am open on trying different things to figure out if this is fit for me. Can you gimme some advices with regards on how to establish that trust and rapport with your clients? How do you greet them?

Lastly, I am scared of committing errors that may endanger my patient's lives. I know that we are not perfect and committing mistakes helps us learn. How do you avoid these?

I'm sorry this is kinda long. I would appreciate any replies or advices.

Thanks!

SDYlm4.png

-=MY TIMELINE=-

K1 IR-5 (Dad)

01.05.09 - Medical

01.09.09 - Embassy Interview 11.25.13 - Mailed I-130 to Chicago Lockbox

01.17.09 - Visa rec'd 11.26.13 - Packet rec'd

02.03.09 - US Entry (POE: LAX) 11.27.13 - Check cashed

02.18.09 - Wedding 12.01.13 - NOA1 (Transfer to VSC

AOS 01.12.14 - NOA2 (Transfer to NVC)

03.02.09 - Applied for SSN on 2/27;SSN rec'd in mail 02.24.14 - NVC changed # to MNL

03.20.09 - AOS sent to Chicago via USPS 02.27.14 - DS 261 submitted

03.23.09 - AOS Package rec'd @ Chicago 03.04.14 - AOS fee paid; showed paid status on 3/6

07.06.09 - Welcome letter rec'd = FINALLY! 03.10.14 - AOS packet sent

07.09.09 - 10-YR GC rec'd.. odd? 03.12.14 - AOS packet delivered

I-751 03.17.14 - Rec'd IV bill invoice

04.04.11 - Infopass re:10-yr GC 03.18.14 - IV Fee paid; showed paid status on 3/20

04.09.11 - I-751 packet sent to VSC; delivered on 4/11 03.23.14 - DS 260 submitted online

04.22.11 - Check cashed; Rec'd NOA on 4/23 03.28.14 - Rec'd AOS checklist via email

06.27.11 - Rec'd bio appt in the mail:EB 07/08 (walk-in) 03.31.14 - Mailed checklist with corections

12.13.11 - I-751 approved 04.01.14 - Mailed civil documents

12.19.11 - 10-yr GC rec'd 04.03.14 - Civil docs delivered

N-400 04.07.14 - Advance Medical--PASSED!Done in 1 day

04.17.12 - N400 packet sent to TX Lockbox: REJECTED 04.18.14 - False IV checklist rec'd

05.17.12 - N400 resent to Lewisville,TX 04.23.14 - IV checklist re:Qatar PCC

05.23.12 - Check cashed; Rec'd NOA on 5/26 05.05.14 - Qatar PCC sent to NVC

06.01.12 - Rec'd bio appt in the mail:EB 06/11 instead of 6/21 06.05.14 - Case completed

07.09.12 - Rec'd interview letter for 8/14 @ 2PM 07.16.14 - Interview rescheduled due to Typhoon Glenda

08.14.12 - PASSED Interview; awaiting oath letter 07.31.14 - Interview @ USEM: APPROVED

10.01.12 - Rec'd Oath Letter 08.05.14 - Visa on hand

10.12.12 - Oath ceremony! I'm finally a USC! 08.27.14 - POE: LAX

09.08.14 - SSN in mail

09.15.14 - ELIS status changed to OPTIMIZED

09.22.14 - ELIS status CLOSED

09.26.14 - GC received

Hi, not a Pinoy but I will share what I know.

A long term care facility should not be a problem for you if you have worked in an acute care facility. It is slower pace, passing out meds, doing assessments. L+D and pediatrics are usually very desirable fields for many nurses. May be tough to get into. At least here in Los Angeles every hospital I have worked at has had a large Filipino nurse population. The Filipino nurses tend to be supportive for each other.

Follow best practice when you provide care. Don't take shortcuts or get sloppy. I do quality assurance at my hospital. Almost every error can be traced back to cutting corners or being lazy.

Be confident in the care you provide your patients and you will be fine. You have had the training.

To gain the trust of your patients, just be polite and address their needs with a positive attitude. Most patients will not care where you are from. Besides, Filipino nurses have a favorable reputation.

Orientation really depends on the facility. Most will have a set amount of time depending on the unit and then offer additional time if needed. ICU's will have typically have a longer orientation period due to the patient acuity.

My honest opinion for you. If you take the job at the LTC I would continue to look for a position in an acute care hospital. You have the experience though understandably nervous. The LTC job is kind of a dead end and will not help you fully use your stagnant nursing skills. Maybe look around and see if you could get into new RN training program that many hospitals offer for specialty fields. You ever thought about Neonatal ICU?

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Hello all! It's been 2 months since my last post. It's amazing how much it changed here in VJ in 2 months. It took a while for me to figure out how to post. LOL! :lol:

Anyways, this topic is for all Pinay nurses out there who are here in the US working as RN's. I have a couple of questions for you guys out there. I recently got offered a position in a LTC facility this month. Though I have mixed emotions regarding the position and the feeling that I'm back in the nursing field. I took a year off for myself to adjust my life here at the same time to get licensed. It seems overwhelming and I just don't know what to expect.

With your current job, how was your orientation phase? I did asked the recruiter on how long the orientation phase is, but she told me that it totally depends on the employee. They don't wanna pressure new employees as we are all different and not a lot of people catch up with a snap of a finger. So, how many months did it took you to learn everything?

How was your relationship with your co-workers? I get anxious to people of higher authority---people that speaks the English language well. I speak the language good but sometimes, my nerves get the best of me and I stutter. Really, I think it's embarassing. Makes me feel soo little of myself, but I'm always trying.

LTC facility is new to me. My previous working experiences were in Labor and Delivery as well as Peds. So, its typically a different world. I haven't picked a specialty yet though I am open on trying different things to figure out if this is fit for me. Can you gimme some advices with regards on how to establish that trust and rapport with your clients? How do you greet them?

Lastly, I am scared of committing errors that may endanger my patient's lives. I know that we are not perfect and committing mistakes helps us learn. How do you avoid these?

I'm sorry this is kinda long. I would appreciate any replies or advices.

Thanks!

Not a nurse here but i would like to comment regarding "people of higher authority". Dont be nervous of them. Tao rin sila. During my teens i was anxious when i'm in the presence of doctors. When my barkada became a doctor, i realized then na tao rin lang sila. Now, having friends who are business owners, vice president of big company and PhD's, i realized na tao lang sila and i should not be anxious with them.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello..congrats on getting your Rn here in the states. I am not filipino, but i am a Rn, and i would agree with the previous post, in the fact that you should be just fine in a long term care setting. It is much slower pace, and not as intensive nursing as say a hospital acute care. I would agree also, that you should continue to search for something outside of the long term care enviroment if you want to advance your career and have a more fast paced challenging career. I appreciate the nurses who work in long term care, and I know they are good at what they do, and some really enjoy it, and maybe you will also, but as far as advancement, your best bet would be working in a hospital or continuing your schooling. Good luck to you, and dont worry about talking to authority figures. I cant speak for everyone, but for most of my work experience, employers are good at orientation as far as making sure you know the job before you are on your own. I think you will be just fine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.