Jim♥Michelle

when will I receive my Green Card and SS No..

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi to all VJers!..

I arrived here in the USA last March 3, 2010 under F2A/F21 Category (Spouse of Lawful Permanent Resident) I wanna know when will I receive my SS No.and Green Card?..

Thanks in advance.

Michelle :blush:

I-130 / F21

USCIS : California Service Center

Priority Date : December 08, 2005

-

-

-

Manila Consulate Track

Jan. 28-29, 2010 : Medical Appointment

Feb. 24, 2010 : Interview at US Embassy, 8.30am

Feb. 25, 2010 : my 31st Birthday

Feb. 26, 2010 : Air21 delivered my Visa & Passport early morning. Yay!

Feb. 27, 2010 : Saturday "bought pasalubong"

Feb. 28, 2010 : Sunday "bought luggage bag"

Mar. 02, 2010 : PDOS Seminar at Quirino, Paco Manila.. went back to US Embassy 4pm..

Mar. 03, 2010 : POE, Minneapolis, St. Paul International Airport

Mar. 27, 2010 : received a WELCOME Letter and my Greencard.. Yay!

Apr. 03, 2010 : received my SSA Card.. finally!

Goodluck guys! GOD Bless us all!

Hi to all VJers!..

I arrived here in the USA last March 3, 2010 under F2A/F21 Category (Spouse of Lawful Permanent Resident) I wanna know when will I receive my SS No.and Green Card?..

Thanks in advance.

Michelle blush.gif

If you checked the box on your form, takes about 3 weeks for the card. Call or go down to your SS office and make sure your in the Sys. if not fill out a new form. As for your green card within 30 days after you get the Welcome Letter.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: Timeline

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has entered into agreements with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Department of State (DOS) for those agencies to assist SSA by collecting as part of the immigration process the information SSA needs to assign Social Security numbers and issue Social Security number (SSN) cards. DHS electronically forwards the data to SSA once the person is admitted to the United States (U.S.), to assign Social Security numbers and issue SSN cards. SSA calls this data sharing process Enumeration at Entry (EAE).

RM 00202.315 Enumeration At Entry:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202315

Individuals applying for an immigrant visa and completing Form DS-230 “Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration,” should answer “yes” to questions 43a and 43b on the form if he or she wants to be assigned an SSN or issued a replacement card.

The individual should receive his or her SSN card within 3 weeks after arriving in the United States. The SSN card will be mailed to the same United States mailing address that is used to mail the Permanent Resident card (Form I-551).

If you answered “yes” to being assigned an SSN on Form DS-230 when applying for an immigrant visa, and have not received your SSN card within 3 weeks of being admitted to the United States, suggest that you go into an SSA office.

If you have been assigned an SSN, the office can provide you with the number. However, if you have not received your card within 14 days of your SSN being assigned, normally you will need to apply for a replacement SSN card.

After 3 weeks, you will need to submit an SSN application at one of our offices, if no SSN has been assigned or application is found pending.

You can obtain the address and directions to Social Security offices from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Applicants who live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, Phoenix, AZ, Orlando, FL, Sacramento, CA, or Las Vegas, NV area should apply at their local Social Security Card Center.

Individuals residing in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area should apply at the Twin Cities Card Center.

Card Center Information:

http://www.ssa.gov/cardcenters/cardcenterinfo.html

Be sure to take proof of age, identity and work authorization when going into a Social Security office to inquiry about the status of your SSN or to submit an application.

Applicants need to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity and work authorization.

Example: If the immigration document, for example, I-551, is used to establish work authorization and identity, the alien must provide another document to establish age.

Proof of age is not required when applying for a replacement SSN card.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

If an acceptable evidence document is in a language other than English and no other acceptable document is available, SSA will have the foreign language document translated by an authorized translator.

SSA translators comprise two groups:

-- Field office and Payment Center employees who volunteer their

services as translators

-- Central Translation Section translators who hold actual translator

positions.

GN 00301.340 Authorized Translators Defined:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200301340

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. In some situations SSA can accept alternative evidence of age. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, for example, a foreign passport.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that

establishes age on the SSA Web site:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203110

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551

stamp/machine readable immigrant visa (MRIV) in combination with an

unexpired foreign passport when the I-551 Permanent Resident Card

has not yet been issued)

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that

establishes identity on the SSA Web site:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200

Employment Authorization Documents:

-- I-551 (stamp or card)

-- MRIV with temporary I-551 language

Note: The MRIV shows the alien's identification number (“A” number) as the “Registration Number” in the upper right-hand corner of the MRIV.

The MRIV in an unexpired foreign passport that shows the statement “UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR and is endorsed with an admission stamp is the same as a valid Temporary I-551 stamp and is valid for one year from the date of endorsement by the admission stamp.

Example:

If the admission stamp shows a date of entry into the U.S. as January 4, 2010, the expiration of the temporary I-551 status will be January 3, 2011. The expiration date on the MRIV should not be used to determine when the temporary I-551 status expires. The expiration date on the MRIV only shows how long the MRIV is valid not how long the alien's temporary I-551 status is valid.

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

An SSN card should be received card in the mail within two weeks after the application and documents have been received and verified when applying within the United States.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement card, SSA must verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate bureau of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). If the initial online verification is not possible through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send a Form G-845 to the appropriate DHS Status Verification Office (SVO) for manual verification.

Social Security field offices can submit an additional electronic online verification, which with the majority of applications eliminates the need to send a Form G-845 along with a copy of the applicant’s immigration documents.

However, some applications still require a copy of the immigration document(s) to be mailed to the appropriate DHS SVO along with Form G-845 for manual verification.

SSA offices can also assist applicants by issuing a notice acknowledging the SSN application while documents are being verified.

RM 10205.215 Acknowledgement Requested for an Application for an SSN Card:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110205215

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland.

You may also wish to review “Employer Responsibilities When Hiring Foreign Workers,” that can be found on our Web site:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/hiring.htm

You may find additional SSN and employment information on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Web site:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=129227,00.html

When am I legally required to provide my Social Security number:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=78

Links to State Driver’s Licensing Agencies:

http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Motor_Vehicles.shtml

OK I posted a reply, where will I see my atta boy if people like it?headbonk.gif

That wasn't exactly what I had in mind. LOL I thought the "new and improved" VJ has some rate an answer system in place. Of course I would hope that I have been around long enough that anything I say about SSNs has been road tested enough without the need for any rinky dink rate an answer system.

That wasn't exactly what I had in mind. LOL I thought the "new and improved" VJ has some rate an answer system in place. Of course I would hope that I have been around long enough that anything I say about SSNs has been road tested enough without the need for any rinky dink rate an answer system.

Look on the lower right see the green + red -

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I QUIT!.. wow you do your research huh!.. full detailed! Thank you so much.. today is my 3rd week so tomorrow we're going to their office to follow up my application.. again, thank you =)

I-130 / F21

USCIS : California Service Center

Priority Date : December 08, 2005

-

-

-

Manila Consulate Track

Jan. 28-29, 2010 : Medical Appointment

Feb. 24, 2010 : Interview at US Embassy, 8.30am

Feb. 25, 2010 : my 31st Birthday

Feb. 26, 2010 : Air21 delivered my Visa & Passport early morning. Yay!

Feb. 27, 2010 : Saturday "bought pasalubong"

Feb. 28, 2010 : Sunday "bought luggage bag"

Mar. 02, 2010 : PDOS Seminar at Quirino, Paco Manila.. went back to US Embassy 4pm..

Mar. 03, 2010 : POE, Minneapolis, St. Paul International Airport

Mar. 27, 2010 : received a WELCOME Letter and my Greencard.. Yay!

Apr. 03, 2010 : received my SSA Card.. finally!

Goodluck guys! GOD Bless us all!

I QUIT!.. wow you do your research huh!.. full detailed! Thank you so much.. today is my 3rd week so tomorrow we're going to their office to follow up my application.. again, thank you =)

This is the one link that didn't work

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article

/0,,id=129227,00.html

Combine the 2

Edited by I Quit

This is the one link that didn't work

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article

/0,,id=129227,00.html

Combine the 2

For some reason this link will not post correctly, so I'll post the text.

Delays in Issuing SSNs to Aliens by the Social Security Administration

Sometimes aliens experience significant delays in obtaining social security numbers. The consequences of these delays are discussed below.

There is no federal law administered by any federal agency which prohibits the hiring of a person based solely on the fact that the person does not have a Social Security Number (SSN). Similarly, there is no federal law which prohibits the making of a payment to a person based solely on the fact that the person does not have an SSN.

However, there are federal laws and regulations which require the reporting of a payee's TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number--SSN or ITIN) on federal information returns and payee statements such as forms W-2, 1099, 1042-S, etc. In addition, federal regulations require (with a few exceptions) that all tax treaty claims made on Forms 8233, W-8BEN, or W-9 be accompanied by the beneficial owner's TIN.

The IRS is quite aware of the Social Security Administration's procedures effective since 09-30-2002 about not issuing an SSN to any alien for whom it cannot confirm his identity and immigration status from the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services—formerly the INS). In addition, the IRS is quite aware of the potential delays in securing an SSN which these procedures may cause some aliens. Furthermore, in the situation in which an alien is work-authorized under the immigration law and has met the Social Security Administration's evidence requirements for an SSN, but who is experiencing delays in securing an SSN caused by the SSA's procedures, the IRS will not generally issue an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) to such an alien.

With respect to IRS penalties related to the payer's failure to furnish a payee TIN on an information return and on a payee statement, the fact that the payer does not have a payee TIN to report solely because the SSA is delaying an issuance of an SSN, or cannot issue an SSN, to a work-authorized alien because of its procedures, will cause the IRS to be quite favorable toward considering this situation one in which "reasonable cause" exists for not asserting such penalties. The payer should keep documentation to show that his failure to supply a payee TIN on Form W-2 or Form 1099 or Form 1042-S is caused solely by the SSA's procedures for issuing SSN's to aliens.

Any withholding agent (with certain exceptions) who receives a Form 8233, W-8BEN, or W-9 without a payee TIN for the purpose of claiming a tax treaty benefit is not allowed to grant such tax treaty benefit until he receives a proper Form 8233, W-8BEN, or W-9 which does report the payee's TIN. However, a form 8233 or W-8BEN without a payee TIN is still valid for the purpose of declaring that the payee is a foreign person, subject to the withholding and reporting rules which apply to payments made to foreign persons.

The IRS cannot speak to the issue of potential penalties which could be imposed by other federal, state, or local agencies for the failure of an employer or payer to report a payee's TIN on any required documents, except to note that the filing of the immigration Form I-9 without an SSN does not constitute grounds, in and of itself, to reject the validity of the Form I-9. If an alien employee can prove his work-eligibility with documents listed on Form I-9 other than a U.S. social security card, then the alien's Form I-9, even though submitted without an SSN, is valid under the immigration law.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.