pgbeau1

DR/USCIS K-1 custody requirements

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help/insight on this. The country of my fiancee is the Dominican Republic, and I am bringing her to the United States.

My Dominican fiancee for whom I am submitting a US fiancee K-1 visa application has one minor child that she will bring with her to the US. She was never married to the father of the child, but the father IS listed on the child's birth certificate.

There is no formal custody agreement, and the child currently spends time with both of them, mostly out of convenience due to the mother's work hours, otherwise the child would be with her full time.

The father has already said he will allow the child to leave the country to be with her mother.

Is a simple certified/notarized letter by the father signed in the presence of a lawyer stating that he gives permission for the child to leave the country to live with the mother and her fiance, me, all that is needed?

Or does the father have to sign something that says he releases all custody rights as well?

Do we need copy of father's cedula and copies of his birth certificate as well to satisfy Dominican exit customs and US entrance customs?

Or is the notarized permission letter all we need along with the approved K-1 visa docs?

Anyone been through parent permission in the Dominican Republic? ANYONE???? Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help/insight on this. The country of my fiancee is the Dominican Republic, and I am bringing her to the United States.

My Dominican fiancee for whom I am submitting a US fiancee K-1 visa application has one minor child that she will bring with her to the US. She was never married to the father of the child, but the father IS listed on the child's birth certificate.

There is no formal custody agreement, and the child currently spends time with both of them, mostly out of convenience due to the mother's work hours, otherwise the child would be with her full time.

The father has already said he will allow the child to leave the country to be with her mother.

Is a simple certified/notarized letter by the father signed in the presence of a lawyer stating that he gives permission for the child to leave the country to live with the mother and her fiance, me, all that is needed?

Or does the father have to sign something that says he releases all custody rights as well?

Do we need copy of father's cedula and copies of his birth certificate as well to satisfy Dominican exit customs and US entrance customs?

Or is the notarized permission letter all we need along with the approved K-1 visa docs?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Hi,

Send an email to the DR Embassy and ask them. They know the answer because they are the ones who will be looking for that document.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Send an email to the DR Embassy and ask them. They know the answer because they are the ones who will be looking for that document.

I called the DR embassy here in Boston. They blew me off, told me "don't you have a lawyer who can answer this, talk to a lawyer, we don't answer things like that."

Very bizarre.

Don't call the embassy in the US - reach out to the overseas consulate which actually will process the visa.

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...Santo%20Domingo

SA4userbar.jpg

I called the DR embassy here in Boston. They blew me off, told me "don't you have a lawyer who can answer this, talk to a lawyer, we don't answer things like that."

Very bizarre.

The DR embassy in the US won't be able to answer questions about what the US embassy in the DR will require to issue a child with a US visa.

Agreeing with the PP, contact the US embassy in DR.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.