Mom2LilNoah

Identification Certificate

15 posts in this topic

If I was to reacquire my Filipino citizenship, I'd be required to take the oath in front of the consulate in Washington, D.C. where my state of residence is under jurisdiction. I'm fine with that. But my question is, is it true that I have to take the oath or renew my passport every 5 years w/c I read in one of the discussions here w/c I quote, "She would then have to go to the consulate every five years to renew her Philippine passport. We don't live anywhere near one, so that means paying airfare and hotel for our family to get there every time she needs to renew."?

I've been looking for a specific part of that law mentioning the "5 years" and still can't find it. Is there anybody here who can show it to me? I would love to hear your input on this for accuracy.

In my books, it is ok to do the oath-taking face-to-face once but doing it every 5 years is ridiculous especially for applicants who has to travel that far. Besides, it also involves money, how about for those people who can't afford to do so, like me? Legislators, please do some amendment. What do u guys think?

~ Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. ~

MY NATURALIZATION JOURNEY

8-28-2009 - Sent my application in

8-31-2009 - Recieved by USCIS (Texas Lockbox Facility)

9- 4 -2009 - Money order cashed

9- 8 -2009 - NOA receipt, dated September 2

9-28-2009 - Biometrics appointment letter received, dated September 24

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

10-26-2009- Receipt of Yellow Letter, dated October 22

11-2-2009 - Receipt of IL, dated October 30

12-8-2009 - Interview

5-19-2010 - Oath Ceremony (Birmingham Museum of Art)

*Time to rest dealing with the Immigration for myself...til it's time for me to petition my family. What a big relief*

I can't help you much about this section of the law but as what I understand, Philippine passports are valid for five years whether you live in the Philippines or elsewhere. For instance, my passport was issued in May 2009. As I look at it now, it says that it's valid until May 2014. I will have to renew it by then.

FAE :luv:

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Maybe it doesn't really mean renewing your oath every five years. Perhaps it simply denotes that you'll have to renew your passport every five years so you can use it.

FAE :luv:

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

If I was to reacquire my Filipino citizenship, I'd be required to take the oath in front of the consulate in Washington, D.C. where my state of residence is under jurisdiction. I'm fine with that. But my question is, is it true that I have to take the oath or renew my passport every 5 years w/c I read in one of the discussions here w/c I quote, "She would then have to go to the consulate every five years to renew her Philippine passport. We don't live anywhere near one, so that means paying airfare and hotel for our family to get there every time she needs to renew."?

I've been looking for a specific part of that law mentioning the "5 years" and still can't find it. Is there anybody here who can show it to me? I would love to hear your input on this for accuracy.

In my books, it is ok to do the oath-taking face-to-face once but doing it every 5 years is ridiculous especially for applicants who has to travel that far. Besides, it also involves money, how about for those people who can't afford to do so, like me? Legislators, please do some amendment. What do u guys think?

oath taking is done only once, but renewal is always personal unless the applicant is 65 yrs old or below 8yrs of age

read this:

http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/dual...zenship_faq.htm

and this:

http://www.thefilipino.com/immigration/phi...consulates.html

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

Oath is done only ONCE but passport shud be renewed every 5 yrs. I renewed my passport in washington dc by just mailing the application but had my personal appearance here in Atlanta. You don't have to go to DFA office personally for renewal of passport.

Oath is done only ONCE but passport shud be renewed every 5 yrs. I renewed my passport in washington dc by just mailing the application but had my personal appearance here in Atlanta. You don't have to go to DFA office personally for renewal of passport.

Members, please keep those inputs coming. Based on your replies, oath-taking will take place but ONCE (meaning, there's no need to take the oath again ever). On the other hand, passport should be renewed every 5 years, which I know because I had my Philippine passport amended and renewed 2007 and will expire 2012. And I sent my application in Washington, DC without going there or anywhere else and I got my new passport by mail too.

So I am just wondering, Ms. Happywi...why do u have to go to Atlanta? Is it an immigration office? I am from Alabama so I am just curious if instead of renewing my passport in person, like DC, is it possible for me to show up within the vicinity of our state?

Sorry guys, have a lot of questions. Just wanna clear some foggy clouds out there.

~ Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. ~

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

12-8-2009 - Interview

*Time to rest dealing with the Immigration for myself...til it's time for me to petition my family. What a big relief*

Members, please keep those inputs coming. Based on your replies, oath-taking will take place but ONCE (meaning, there's no need to take the oath again ever). On the other hand, passport should be renewed every 5 years, which I know because I had my Philippine passport amended and renewed 2007 and will expire 2012. And I sent my application in Washington, DC without going there or anywhere else and I got my new passport by mail too.

So I am just wondering, Ms. Happywi...why do u have to go to Atlanta? Is it an immigration office? I am from Alabama so I am just curious if instead of renewing my passport in person, like DC, is it possible for me to show up within the vicinity of our state?

Sorry guys, have a lot of questions. Just wanna clear some foggy clouds out there.

Yes i have meet several pinays from Alabama who came to Atlanta Consulate office for personal appearance and they just send their application in DC. i have a pinay friend also who sent her application but did not even have personal appearance.

I am not so sure if u have to go for personal appearance. That time kasi when i was there DFA employees from (DC) had an outreach in Atlanta (they do it once a year) and all those who had their oath taking for citizenship, passport renewal application were done on that same 2 days activity. If i were u try to call DFA in DC to make sure about this coz my responce is based on my experience.

Hi there,

Are you planning to apply for dual Citizenship? They have Consular outreach there in Alabama on June 30, 2010. Hopefully you will have your Oath taking soon so you won't miss this CO in your area. Anyway Congrats at least you're done with US Immigration thingy. :thumbs:

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/PR-Co...%2013Jan10.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi there,

Are you planning to apply for dual Citizenship? They have Consular outreach there in Alabama on June 30, 2010. Hopefully you will have your Oath taking soon so you won't miss this CO in your area. Anyway Congrats at least you're done with US Immigration thingy. :thumbs:

Howdy I-10 West... ur reply to OP caught my attention. Do you happen to know the Consular outreach here in Texas? Im living near Austin Texas, and my Philippine passport will expire on 2012. I might as well take note of some plans. ahead. ^_^

"I will remain to be yours forever,My Love. I love you soOOo much,Honey! The mOst GOrgeous Man ever in Austin!"

--Rhean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles and Rhean

I-129F

02-xx-2008 Met online

03-21-2009 Travelled to Philippines to meet

03-31-2009 Sent out I -129F by FedEx

04-01-2009 NOA 1

08-31-2009 NOA 2 (what a long wait!)

09-04-2009 NVC received I-129F

09-11-2009 Embassy received I-129F

09-30-2009 Medical exam passed

10-08-2009 Interview ...a SUCCESS!

10-20-2009 POE..Minneapolis

10-22-2009 SSN..woohooo!

12-27-2009 Got Married!!!

AOS Timeline

01-07-10 Received changed name Social Security Number

01-10-10 Mailed AOS, EAD, AP via USPS

01-13-10 AOS packet touched , January 13, 2010, 8:10 am, CHICAGO, IL 60680

01-19-10 AOS, EAD, AP NOA1

02-19-10 Biometrics Appointment

02-19-10 Biometrics done!

Howdy I-10 West... ur reply to OP caught my attention. Do you happen to know the Consular outreach here in Texas? Im living near Austin Texas, and my Philippine passport will expire on 2012. I might as well take note of some plans. ahead. ^_^

your consulate is LOS ANGELES http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/Consulates.htm

03.14.2011 -------I-751 sent overnight

03.15.2011 -------package says "Delivered"

03.30.2011 -------ASC Appointment Notice Received

04.22.2011 -------Biometrics Appointment

08.29.2011--------APPROVED! GC RECEIVED!

I'm the wife of an American Soldier;

I'm the hope that lives within him after storm clouded days.

The freedom from war that gives wings to his heart,

May they reach across the miles and bind our hearts together

against all that we must face in this world.

Hi Rhean,

For pinoys/pinays in Texas, you are under LA Philippine Consulate. I checked the website; they don't have a Consular outreach there in your state but just keep on checking from time-to-time… If remembered correctly they had one there last year. They're coming here in Phoenix though by Feb.16 and then Las Vegas, Nevada on 27-28Feb.

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/

:thumbs:

Hi there,

Thanks you sooo much for sharing the information. Yes, I am planning to apply for dual citizenship and that news is awesome. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will get an oath-taking appointment soon, so I can start gathering the reacquisition requirements and send them in to take advantage of their service here in our state though it's more or less 3 hours from our city but it does not matter. Thanks a lot again, I'll try to call their office once my appointment is determined.

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

12-8-2009 - Interview

Hi there,

I got disappointed the moment I realized that it's not June 2010 that they will have the consular outreach here but January 30, 2010. Because it's January 18 today (my citizenship oath-taking date is unknown) and sure it's gonna take a few weeks for the exact date for the oath-taking to take place, then that's when I start gathering all those dual citizenship requirements and then the oath-taking...it's definitely IMPOSSIBLE...wish it was June :( :( :(

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

12-8-2009 - Interview

I got disappointed the moment I realized that it's not June 2010 that they will have the consular outreach here but January 30, 2010. Because it's January 18 today (my citizenship oath-taking date is unknown) and sure it's gonna take a few weeks for the exact date for the oath-taking to take place, then that's when I start gathering all those dual citizenship requirements and then the oath-taking...it's definitely IMPOSSIBLE...wish it was June :(:(:(

Whoa!I'm very sorry sis I didn't wear my eyeglasses yesterday I know Consular outreach is January I didn't know I typed June :wacko::bonk: . You will need your Naturalization Certificate when you apply for dual Citizenship and I see that date is getting closer and you didn't receive the appointment yet for the oath-taking?You might just apply early next year if you miss this one or who knows they might have another Consular outreach within a few months? I believe they do it every year. Again I'm very sorry for the typo error.

Whoa!I'm very sorry sis I didn't wear my eyeglasses yesterday I know Consular outreach is January I didn't know I typed June :wacko::bonk: . You will need your Naturalization Certificate when you apply for dual Citizenship and I see that date is getting closer and you didn't receive the appointment yet for the oath-taking?You might just apply early next year if you miss this one or who knows they might have another Consular outreach within a few months? I believe they do it every year. Again I'm very sorry for the typo error.

It's ok. There's nothing I can do right now but patiently wait for my appointment, do the next few steps re: updating my status with SSA, getting a US passport, etc. then start gathering the pertinent documents for the dual citizenship application and fly to DC for the oath-taking. It's like hitting 2 birds in one stone coz I could visit my bestfriend and have them too during the oath-taking, di ba mas bibo? Not unless there's gonna be another outreach program in the neighboring states.

Thanks again and have a great week ahead of you.

10-6-2009 - Biometrics

12-8-2009 - Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.