Svadharma

Lost Green Card - in El Salvador

3 posts in this topic

My husband just called me. He lost his green card while visiting his family. I know that if he can't find it he will have to go to the embassy and request a new one. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you know what the charges are and how long it takes?

Thanks in advance!

Mi esposo acaba de llamarme. Perdió su tarjeta verde mientras está visitando la familia. Yo sé que si no puede encontrarla, que tiene que ir a la embajada y pedir una nueva. ¿Hay alguien con experiencia con esto? ¿Sabe cuánto vale y cuánto tiempo es necesario para obtener una nueva?

¡Gracias!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Have him call the US embassy right away (or call on his behalf and ask to speak to Citizen Services section) to see what they can do to help him. In the meantime, it will help him a lot if you have a photocopy of his card (back and front) faxed to him. Normally if he can prove he is a PR they can provide him with something called a "travel letter" (not the actual PR card) which will allow him to board a plan to return to the US.

DHS and the Embassy should definately be notified ASAP and report the document lost. This is important because he doesn't want someone else using it to attempt to board a plane in his name.

You can help him get started on getting the card replaced by following this link.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Once he returns to the US, he will not want to leave again without the replacement card

Well, his temp visa in his passport is still good... so he should be able to fly (just found out, whew). I called DHS/USCIS and they said that all I needed to do was apply for a new one. Also, I was going to call the embassy, but they use a call center in Mexico that is never helpful. So, I emailed someone I know at my congressman's office and asked him if they would email the embassy for me.

Thanks for your help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.