RUSSandRACHEL

Is anyone going to their interview alone?

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of support from my fellow VJ-ers. My Rusty has just gone home this morning ( :crying: ) after a wonderful two week holiday together here in the UK.

Anyway, my medical was two weeks ago and now we're waiting on a interview date - which we hope won't be too long a wait now.

Our initial plan was to attend the interview together but as we're saving like mad for the wedding and Russ has a limited amount of time off work, I'm now going alone. I get really stressed out and nervous with situations like this and I wish he could be there for support. I don't really have anyone else I'd want to go with. No-one really understands what we've been through, the process etc...

Is anyone else going to go alone or has had to? How did you find it?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am going alone and my packet 3 arrived at the embassy on the same day as yours so maybe we will get an interview date together. Im gonna write down how to get there based on reviews on here and once you are in I think its pretty self explanatory. You will be fine but I share your anxiety. Its a scary day for all of us. Will we get there on time? How long will we wait? Do we have all our papers? etc.

Good luck to you. I will be checking your timeline like crazy this week and il let you know on the interview thread when I hear anything.

Take care and sorry to hear that your fiance had to go home. Thats a really tough thing to go through *hugs*

x

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I am going alone and my packet 3 arrived at the embassy on the same day as yours so maybe we will get an interview date together. Im gonna write down how to get there based on reviews on here and once you are in I think its pretty self explanatory. You will be fine but I share your anxiety. Its a scary day for all of us. Will we get there on time? How long will we wait?

My fiance's going alone - probably in two months. I've been in the UK for the past month and was hoping at the beginning of the process we'd be here at the same time, but NOA2 is a long wait. Good luck to you, Nikki.

My fiance went alone. He said the people were very helpful and friendly. He was only in the embassy for 2 hours (8:30am was his appt time) and it went really quickly.

Have all your paperwork organized and make sure you know your route to the embassy.

The only slight snag he ran into was that one of his pieces of relationship evidence involved one of those greeting cards that you open and it plays a recording or music. When they scan it, it sets off the metal detector. :) He had to convince them that it was ok to toss it out. :)

I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine. Many people describe this as a non-event, really.

Have a good interview and good luck to you! You're almost done! :star:

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

http://www.visajourn...009-k-1-filers/

-------------------

AOS Filed: 12-7-2009

AOS APPROVED! 2-27-2010 (no interview)

Greencard in hand: 3-4-2010

http://www.visajourn...ead/page__st__0

--------------------

ROC mailed to CSC 11-22-2011

Check cleared the bank 11-29-2011 (our 2nd anniversary) :)

Greencard received 6/15/2012 :)

November 2011 ROC Filers

N400 Filing (Citizenship for Ian) - Here we go!

Mailed 12-03-2012

Arrived at Phoenix SC 12-6-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

1-25-2013 Notice - Interview Scheduled for 3-4-2013

Oath 3-4-2013 Omaha Field Office

Thanks so much to everyone for their kind words. This morning I went to the airport with Russ to see him off and was hit by the familiar anxiety feeling, seeing the airport and knowing the next time I go there will be the last time!!! Its so exciting but sooo nerve wracking, thats why I'm stressing a bit about going alone to the interview. I know I'll be ok but its just nice to hear from people who are going through the same... :) Thanks guys!

Oh and hi again NikkiUK, yes we may get the same date! I've been to London quite a few times so think I will be ok to get around, its just the waiting and everything... :unsure: making sure you have everything you need etc... Thanks also for your sympathy. Its always so hard to leave each other, we keep telling each other its not long now. Thats whats keeping us going.

I will let you know as soon as I hear anything about the interview. Russ is going to call DOS tomorrow to ask aswell. Fingers crossed!

Filed: Timeline
Thanks so much to everyone for their kind words. This morning I went to the airport with Russ to see him off and was hit by the familiar anxiety feeling, seeing the airport and knowing the next time I go there will be the last time!!! Its so exciting but sooo nerve wracking, thats why I'm stressing a bit about going alone to the interview. I know I'll be ok but its just nice to hear from people who are going through the same... :) Thanks guys!

Oh and hi again NikkiUK, yes we may get the same date! I've been to London quite a few times so think I will be ok to get around, its just the waiting and everything... :unsure: making sure you have everything you need etc... Thanks also for your sympathy. Its always so hard to leave each other, we keep telling each other its not long now. Thats whats keeping us going.

I will let you know as soon as I hear anything about the interview. Russ is going to call DOS tomorrow to ask aswell. Fingers crossed!

Are you people all mad? Go alone? Well Id be really happy if I had a husband that could sit around all day waiting to turn up at the interview with me!

Are you people all mad?

No, but evidently you are. :thumbs:

K1 Filed: 4-1-2009 * Interview (approved): 10-21-2009 * POE: 11-1-2009 * Married: 11-29-2009

-------------------

--------------------

November 2011 ROC Filers

Mailed 12-03-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
No, but evidently you are. :thumbs:

I've discussed this (my fiance going alone to the interview) and even though my fiance says that she can do it herself I'm planning on being there. Vanessa would rather have me save up some vacation time so we can spend additional tie when she gets here to the USA, but I think it's really important that I'm there with her for emotional support as well as to answer any prospective questions that the interviewer may have.

Also, my fiance and her daughter have never flown before so I'm thinking that it would be better for me to be there with them as they take their flight to the USA (when she receives her K-1). Being that they'll have a connecting flight once they arrive in the USA and clear customs I think it would be better that I'm there.

Al

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

My husband went alone and it was no biggie. He also had one of those cards that plays music :) Very embarrassing hehe. At the actual interview they just asked him to tell them about me and a quick few required bio questions. I would have literally been nothing other than company for him.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Thats all it is to me. Company and emotional support. We dont see it as my application to get married and live tiogether - its ours. We have gone through this whole journey together of trying to get to this point and thats what upsets me about going alone - the fact that its our application and he wont be there to experience it with me.

And btw, my fiance doesnt sit around all day with nothing to do. Being together at important times is a priority to us and nothing usually stands in the way of that (christmas, anniversaries, birthdays). I know there are people like us who havent seen each other for 10 months or more thats why I know we are very lucky to be in that position.

Russ is also returning to the UK in April to say goodbye to my family and help me and my labrador, Honey, make the big move. Hes going to take holiday leave from work for that, and also for the actual wedding. I have a few UK friends attending, so of course, we both want to be available to spend time with them then, too. I guess the price we pay for all of that time off work is him missing the interview :huh:

Thanks to everyone for your helpful opinions and experiences. I wish you all the best! :yes:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of support from my fellow VJ-ers. My Rusty has just gone home this morning ( :crying: ) after a wonderful two week holiday together here in the UK.

Anyway, my medical was two weeks ago and now we're waiting on a interview date - which we hope won't be too long a wait now.

Our initial plan was to attend the interview together but as we're saving like mad for the wedding and Russ has a limited amount of time off work, I'm now going alone. I get really stressed out and nervous with situations like this and I wish he could be there for support. I don't really have anyone else I'd want to go with. No-one really understands what we've been through, the process etc...

Is anyone else going to go alone or has had to? How did you find it?

Thanks!

Im in the same boat as you, my fiance went home this morning after a christmas in the UK :crying:

I had my medical before christmas and waiting on my interview date too now, hopefully it wont be long now for me either. But I will too be going by myself now, scary!

When I get an interview date, I will let you know, maybe we might have the same date. At least we would know one person in the same situation for support!

Good luck with everything

:thumbs:

My husband went alone and it was no biggie. He also had one of those cards that plays music :) Very embarrassing hehe. At the actual interview they just asked him to tell them about me and a quick few required bio questions. I would have literally been nothing other than company for him.

LOL... Good to know we were not alone in bringing the crazy card. :)

I know quite a few people who've gone to the interview alone and have been fine. You can do it!

I think going to an official government place is sometimes a little unsettling, but they are super nice there, according to my fiance.

:star:

-------------------

--------------------

November 2011 ROC Filers

Mailed 12-03-2012

Check cashed 12-11-2012

12-11-2012 NOA

12-26-2012 Biometrics

I went alone, the week after my fiance went back to the US.

I wasn't really nervous until the night before... then I was re-checking all of the forms, freaking out over minor details and couldn't think of anything else! I left for London at 4am or something, and was feeling sick the entire way - especially when the bus stopped at Heathrow on the way there, and I was remembering all of those horrible feelings from the week before.

I'll tell you what, though... you're going to be fine. There is a feeling of anticipation when you're in the waiting room (I waited 5 hours) but once you're up there and talking to the interviewer and handing over forms, you'll be fine. Just remember that it's just a quick chat that asks the same questions that everyone asks when they find out about your American fiance! And also that the chances of denial are extremely low - that helped me. The interview was painless and he only asked about three questions.

I skipped out of there with my massive X-Ray in my hand, bumping into everyone with it, texting everyone to let them know. And guess what? When the bus stopped at Heathrow on the way back, I felt so happy! :D

I went alone, the week after my fiance went back to the US.

I wasn't really nervous until the night before... then I was re-checking all of the forms, freaking out over minor details and couldn't think of anything else! I left for London at 4am or something, and was feeling sick the entire way - especially when the bus stopped at Heathrow on the way there, and I was remembering all of those horrible feelings from the week before.

I'll tell you what, though... you're going to be fine. There is a feeling of anticipation when you're in the waiting room (I waited 5 hours) but once you're up there and talking to the interviewer and handing over forms, you'll be fine. Just remember that it's just a quick chat that asks the same questions that everyone asks when they find out about your American fiance! And also that the chances of denial are extremely low - that helped me. The interview was painless and he only asked about three questions.

I skipped out of there with my massive X-Ray in my hand, bumping into everyone with it, texting everyone to let them know. And guess what? When the bus stopped at Heathrow on the way back, I felt so happy! :D

Thank you so much Gemmie. I have to say I felt so emotional when I read your last line. :blush: Its so true! I cant wait for us to be together!

The issue of denial doesnt bother me. I think its more the anticipation. If I have to wait 5 hours I'm gonna be in a right state by the time I step up to meet the consular officer. I have visions of me collapsing on the floor in a sea of papers lol! :unsure: I know it'll be ok really, but I was like this with my medical and Russ was with me then. Unless you have been through this process, no-one can truly understand.

Thanks for the support everyone!

Edited by RUSSandRACHEL

I went alone ( I did the medical alone too) my fiancee was still in the US and I was stuck in England. I got the train down to London from Liverpool the day before in the afternoon. I went first class as virgin had some really great deals at the time. It was nice and peacful and comfortable. I had double checked everything before I left as I didn't want to forget any forms.

When I got to my hotel where I had very little sleep as I was anxious about going to the interview and what the result was going to be. I arrived at the embassy for 7:30am and the line and I was out in 3 hours.

But it wasn't bad at all. The staff was great, I got approved and left with the biggest smile I have ever had. It was finally happeing I was moving to the USA to be with the love of my life.

It was worth it too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.