Allie and Nigel

Rant thread

94 posts in this topic

and then you get to your interview all worried and then BAM your hit with something you have to do

I think the problem is trying to predict the unknown. I'm sure most of us have been in the same situation: we go over the forms again and again and again, looking for the slightest detail that they might pick apart, just so that we can then provide whatever additional evidance we think they might ask us for.

I try to think that it's reassuring to know that if I do go to the interview and they want something else, I'll have a chance to submit it to them. It's not like the visa is going to be denied because I forgot x, y or z. That should be a positive thing, something to help ease the stress. Yet, the fear of having to go through yet more indefinite waiting is enough to make even something that should be a reassurance into yet another stress.

I hope we aren't going to get into a pi$$ing match about who had the hardest time getting their visa or who has the shortest or longest timeline or who was separated while getting it and who wasn't and what not.

Because that would sure suck.

That's certainly not my intention.

As I've mentioned previously in this topic, there are a lot of other problems aside from long waiting times that can make this process difficult. Time-wise, my visa journey has been pretty straight forwards so far (no USCIS delays, that is), yet the whole process has still been incredibally stressful for my fiance and I because of other circumstances. I always try to be understanding and sympathetic to any who post their experiences, and I'm certainly not trying to "compete" with anyone for "who's had it worse". I post my experiences and feelings during the process because: 1) I know myself that reading others' posts and seeing people are feeling the same way as I am is immensely comforting and helps ease the feeling of "doing it alone", and 2) there are very few opportunities outside of this place to actually talk about the stresses of the visa process with people that know how it feels. Still, I apologize if I've offended anyone.

i totally agree on point 2!! i think thats been one of the worst things for me, trying to explain this situation to family members and friends, when half the time i dont even have a clue whats going on myself!!! so its great to be able to read other peoples experiences, and know that im not alone in the feelings im going through :)

sometimes when im having one of my sleepless nights, i lie there thinking, i wonder who else in the world right now is having a sleepless night worrying about their visa interview/I-134 documents/etc etc!! haha :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
i totally agree on point 2!! i think thats been one of the worst things for me, trying to explain this situation to family members and friends, when half the time i dont even have a clue whats going on myself!!! so its great to be able to read other peoples experiences, and know that im not alone in the feelings im going through

My family are certainly more than supportive, but they struggle to understand much of what's involved in the actual visa process, and therefore, can't always appreciate why it's so very stressful.

Sometimes when im having one of my sleepless nights, i lie there thinking, i wonder who else in the world right now is having a sleepless night worrying about their visa interview/I-134 documents/etc etc!! haha

I'll have to try that one. Maybe it'll help!

Timeline

I feel sick........really. I gotta stop reading posts here, the one in the UK forum about approved pending additional thread, one person's been waiting 21 or so days since sending in a long form birth certificate and still waiting for their dang visa...then me with his subject access? OMG........I feel like getting on the next plane to England right now...Nigel made me call the DOS today, and they just received the item and opened it up the 23rd and so still sitting there as of today.....there isnt a cuss word that I haven't said about them about now..............we had a bit of a breakdown today both of us....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

b2gel0s1sc.png

We're a April 2009 K1 filer, see our timeline for specifics....:-)

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Date Filed : 2009-01-31

Date: 2010-02-02

Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-09

EAD received: 2010-04-01

Interview Date 2010-04-29--APPROVED!

VISA IN HAND: 2010-05-28--WAHOOO!

Timeline
really. I gotta stop reading posts here

This forum is a tremendous resource for information, advise and just to meet others going through the same thing, but it can also be so easy to become overwhelmed by the sheer amount of "problems" that VJers here are going through. There have been times in the past where I've had to keep clear of this place, simply because I was not able to cope with reading about those experiences.

Nigel made me call the DOS today, and they just received the item and opened it up the 23rd and so still sitting there as of today.....

I know you're obviously feeling very stressed out and anxious about the whole thing, so my words aren't going to seem very reassuring or helpful, but I just wanted to say that it sounds like at least a good thing that you know now that they've actually done something quite recently.

Although it's oftentimes the waiting that drives us all crazy, what's really hard to deal with sometimes is the indefinite and uncertain nature of that waiting period. I go through cycles over dealing with this issue. Most of the time, I just sort of resign myself to "it'll be however long they want it to be", but sometimes I just feel like I'm going to become a gibbering wreck if I have to wait another day.

My fiance and I had one of those "ARRRGH!" moments today, though ours was largely down to the stress of having to go through this visa journey "alone". He's suffering the frustration of being helpless to do much more than provide me with words of comfort and reassurance, and I'm suffering because I'm feeling stressed and nervous about the medical.

Tomorrow it will be over and done with. Hopefully, once it's done with, I'll be able to post at visajourney and say "It wasn't worth stressing over!"

Edited by FrostyMist

Timeline
really. I gotta stop reading posts here

This forum is a tremendous resource for information, advise and just to meet others going through the same thing, but it can also be so easy to become overwhelmed by the sheer amount of "problems" that VJers here are going through. There have been times in the past where I've had to keep clear of this place, simply because I was not able to cope with reading about those experiences.

Nigel made me call the DOS today, and they just received the item and opened it up the 23rd and so still sitting there as of today.....

I know you're obviously feeling very stressed out and anxious about the whole thing, so my words aren't going to seem very reassuring or helpful, but I just wanted to say that it sounds like at least a good thing that you know now that they've actually done something quite recently.

Although it's oftentimes the waiting that drives us all crazy, what's really hard to deal with sometimes is the indefinite and uncertain nature of that waiting period. I go through cycles over dealing with this issue. Most of the time, I just sort of resign myself to "it'll be however long they want it to be", but sometimes I just feel like I'm going to become a gibbering wreck if I have to wait another day.

My fiance and I had one of those "ARRRGH!" moments today, though ours was largely down to the stress of having to go through this visa journey "alone". He's suffering the frustration of being helpless to do much more than provide me with words of comfort and reassurance, and I'm suffering because I'm feeling stressed and nervous about the medical.

Tomorrow it will be over and done with. Hopefully, once it's done with, I'll be able to post at visajourney and say "It wasn't worth stressing over!"

Frosty, you sure got it....i start reading the posts and then I start worrying that we're gonna be the same way....yes, both of us had quite a breakdown today....nigel is usually the cool headed person and me, i'm the blubbering fool...lol....my whole family understands but they are also hoping for a january wedding so the more delay works better but we want our hunny's here RIGHT BLOODY NOW!!!!!!!! lol

b2gel0s1sc.png

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Timeline
Frosty, you sure got it....i start reading the posts and then I start worrying that we're gonna be the same way....

After we sent in our I-129F, I was like that. There's such a long way to go, and so many potential holes to fall into along the way.

For the first few months after the I-129F was sent, I mostly just posted in the "March K1 visa filers" topic. (We filed our petition in March). I thought it was helpful to keep track of what was happening with others that had filed the same time as me, because I thought it would give me an indication of when I might expect to hear something, and also help me decide whether delays should be worried about (wouldn't worry as much if everyone seemed to be in the same situation of waiting longer than expected). I avoided almost all other topics, because I just felt overwhelmed and frightened by the sheer amount of things that can go wrong: not just during the first stage of the process, but all through the rest of it, too.

It wasn't until I got Packet 3 that I started posting elsewhere on the boards. There's still a lot of scary stuff posted out there, but there's also a lot of helpful advice and experiences. Sometimes I read something that makes me worry, and if I'm not careful, I'll think too much about what I'm reading about and get all in a stress and upset. For the most part though, since my packet 3 I've been able to use the topics here as a positive resource.

I know I've been lucky that my own visa journey has followed USCIS timelines pretty closely, so it might be harder to have such a positive experience here as I have done if your case has been caught up in delays, etc. But I hope you'll be able to use this place as a place of comfort, and not an additional cause of your worries.

Timeline

Well overall we've been pretty good timewise as well...except in ap at the nvc level for 30 days, got our interview quickly, however thank goodness for this site that told me about his subject access....we just went to interview, thinking we're gonna see how it plays...I had it in the back of my mind that we're going to have issues about his clearance, and luckly I had him order that subject access, which came in 10 days or so after the dang interview....so its crazy...then I read about other people's horror stories of waaaaating for the embassy AFTER submitting their evidence with their blue paper...waiting awhile you know....and having additional worries....sooo, this is frustrating.....I know more people have waited longer for their loved ones....I only last saw him May 1st....so its a bit....I'm hoping this NEXT week will be productive...

b2gel0s1sc.png

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Timeline
I feel sick........really. I gotta stop reading posts here, the one in the UK forum about approved pending additional thread, one person's been waiting 21 or so days since sending in a long form birth certificate and still waiting for their dang visa...then me with his subject access? OMG........I feel like getting on the next plane to England right now...Nigel made me call the DOS today, and they just received the item and opened it up the 23rd and so still sitting there as of today.....there isnt a cuss word that I haven't said about them about now..............we had a bit of a breakdown today both of us....

Yep, that's me (the 21 days b/c of a silly birth cert), and we are still waiting. One thing to note is that even though we sent everything back to the embassy on Nov 4th, the approval and move into the last visa process pile came on Nov 16th. The embassy says '5 to 10' working days after that. We are on working day 7 (thanks Thanksgiving - grr!). I can only stew and look on here for any hope that other people are getting visas in the mail and maybe we will too.

We also have wedding plans for the end of December. Hind sight: not the best decision we ever made. *sigh* Ditto Allie on the AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :angry: My hopes are with you guys too for a visa asap.

MC

Timeline

Yep, that's me (the 21 days b/c of a silly birth cert), and we are still waiting. One thing to note is that even though we sent everything back to the embassy on Nov 4th, the approval and move into the last visa process pile came on Nov 16th. The embassy says '5 to 10' working days after that. We are on working day 7 (thanks Thanksgiving - grr!). I can only stew and look on here for any hope that other people are getting visas in the mail and maybe we will too.

We also have wedding plans for the end of December. Hind sight: not the best decision we ever made. *sigh* Ditto Allie on the AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :angry: My hopes are with you guys too for a visa asap.

MC

How did you find out the processing is about 5-10 working days? Thats good info...you found out they have your info on the 16th? They had officially our stuff on Nov 23rd....so we're working day 4 I believe...

b2gel0s1sc.png

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Timeline

When FI called the embassy call center and told them what type of visa we were waiting on and gave them our file # and told them it had been 14 days since sending in the information, they finally looked it up in their system. That's when they told us 5-10 working days after it's been approved (code word for sitting in a pile).... and not to be confused with it the visa being issued/printed. Eventually they will also give you the embassy email address with a case reference for the embassy. We tried that yesterday and got this today!!

Thank you for your email correspondence.

According to our records, your passport and visa package were passed to the Embassy’s courier service, DX Secure, today, 1st December 2009. You should receive your passport and visa package in the next 3-5 working days. You may wish to contact the courier service directly if you require your documents more quickly.

Sincerely,

Consular Information Unit

U.S. Embassy, London

CONS/CIU/GS

Working day 10 is today. I miscalculated yesterday.

No word from DX yet, but this news is better than anything else. Maybe you'll hear something by next week??? Any MAYBE I'll see the FI by the weekend.....if only.

Edited by MC&DS

Okay, this is me smiling, not ranting.

I was thinking of how, wow it's already December! And then how I went over to England to see David for the first time as a girlfriend and remembering how we were nervous about each other and I hadn't kissed anyone in a long time and was nervous for that first kiss...but man was it wonderful! We got a lot of practice that week :)

I'm seeing him next week. I love him!

/gushiness. Sorry! It just had to come out!

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

I was thinking of how, wow it's already December! And then how I went over to England to see David for the first time as a girlfriend and remembering how we were nervous about each other and I hadn't kissed anyone in a long time and was nervous for that first kiss...but man was it wonderful! We got a lot of practice that week :)

After reading all the rants that made me smile so much!

i'm hoping for a Feb interview as I want to move in/after June due to schooling for my daughter. Ricky will be here then for some moral support and to stop me going :wacko: lol

How cute!

It's good to have those flashbacks to keep you going when times are hard.

Next week is the 4 year mark of when we first met in person... I was SO freakin' nervous as I walked into the arrivals room. There was an ice storm in Boston so we stayed in the hotel and watched films, and my nerves slowly melted away. :D

Timeline
Next week is the 4 year mark of when we first met in person... I was SO freakin' nervous as I walked into the arrivals room. There was an ice storm in Boston so we stayed in the hotel and watched films, and my nerves slowly melted away. :D

Awww, it's always lovely to hear those "first time we met" experiences.

I met my fiance for the first time in August (2006), but back then, we were "just friends". Hah, I think I about trod a hole in the carpet pacing back and forwards whilst I waited for him to arrive. Most nerve wracking time of my life!

I remember when he flew over specially to see me a few months later (Feb 07). I was a wreck the whole way down to the airport to fetch him. I still get nervous every time we head down to the airport to fetch him, though that's largely just because I worry about him having to deal with customs (who are getting more and more cross at him visiting here every time he comes)

Edited by FrostyMist

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.