CountingDays

I am LOSING it with NVC

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
What I said is that "translation from Russian to English is not required to be certified", it can be a non-certified translation. But I personally made notary certified translations of all documents since it was just a little more $.

I think it's wiser to follow the Embassy's guidelines, not NVC:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/MOS-ME...L-0001-0903.pdf

I think you are wrong. I will say it again. You are dealing with NVC not the Embassy. The Embassy's rules do not apply to NVC, only to Moscow.

The USCIS's requirements

Translations. Any document containing foreign language submitted to the Service shall be accompanied by a full English language translation which the translator has certified as complete and accurate, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English.

NVC is in the US. They speak English there (and maybe other languages but very little Russian).

I believe you are making a grevious error by not sending translations. Did you send translations with the original petitions?

Hm.. please just re-read carefully what I wrote above :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Master 5 suggested a good idea about apostile. The only thing I don't know if they can put an apostile on the copy..

They can and they will. Just make the photocopy of the document, notarized it with any local notary (notary should be registered with Ministry of Justice), then go to the local office of Ministry of Justice for an apostil stamp on the back of the copy (takes 3 days and 300 rubles per copy). Translation from Russian to English is not required to be certified, but it's the case for any other languages other than Russian.

Master-thank you for your suggestion! So, this will work even if, say the document's origin is Kazakhstan or Georgia? I know this may be a dumb question, but I just have to ask.

And-what is the ministry of justice called in russian, do you know?

I'm not sure if it will work for non-Russian documents. It worked for me with Russian documents though. Ministry of Justice = Министерство Юстиции.

Thank you. Here is what I want to say: The bottom line NVC is making is that they want the ORIGINAL. What has been sent to them is notorized, certified and has an apostile. If they are questioning THAT, I promise you they will question the version you are suggesting as well, simply because they keep repeating like a broken record that they WANT THE ORIGINAL.

the point is- they are idiots, and must understand that I cannot provide an original and they must let it go. What was submitted to them is sufficient and the originals will be brought in to the intervew in Moscow. Period.

Yeah, your situation is kind of unique since the documents are not Russian-issued. They do act as dumb robots in your case, no doubt about it. Try to get the damn certificate into US with somebody who flies from Russia to US.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
What I said is that "translation from Russian to English is not required to be certified", it can be a non-certified translation. But I personally made notary certified translations of all documents since it was just a little more $.

I think it's wiser to follow the Embassy's guidelines, not NVC:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/MOS-ME...L-0001-0903.pdf

I think you are wrong. I will say it again. You are dealing with NVC not the Embassy. The Embassy's rules do not apply to NVC, only to Moscow.

The USCIS's requirements

Translations. Any document containing foreign language submitted to the Service shall be accompanied by a full English language translation which the translator has certified as complete and accurate, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English.

NVC is in the US. They speak English there (and maybe other languages but very little Russian).

I believe you are making a grevious error by not sending translations. Did you send translations with the original petitions?

Hm.. please just re-read carefully what I wrote above :)

I am a "she" hehe. Not that it matters but may as well clarify.

Well, yes, the document was translated. The translation is notorized, certified and bears an apostile.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Master 5 suggested a good idea about apostile. The only thing I don't know if they can put an apostile on the copy..

They can and they will. Just make the photocopy of the document, notarized it with any local notary (notary should be registered with Ministry of Justice), then go to the local office of Ministry of Justice for an apostil stamp on the back of the copy (takes 3 days and 300 rubles per copy). Translation from Russian to English is not required to be certified, but it's the case for any other languages other than Russian.

Master-thank you for your suggestion! So, this will work even if, say the document's origin is Kazakhstan or Georgia? I know this may be a dumb question, but I just have to ask.

And-what is the ministry of justice called in russian, do you know?

I'm not sure if it will work for non-Russian documents. It worked for me with Russian documents though. Ministry of Justice = Министерство Юстиции.

Thank you. Here is what I want to say: The bottom line NVC is making is that they want the ORIGINAL. What has been sent to them is notorized, certified and has an apostile. If they are questioning THAT, I promise you they will question the version you are suggesting as well, simply because they keep repeating like a broken record that they WANT THE ORIGINAL.

the point is- they are idiots, and must understand that I cannot provide an original and they must let it go. What was submitted to them is sufficient and the originals will be brought in to the intervew in Moscow. Period.

Yeah, your situation is kind of unique since the documents are not Russian-issued. They do act as dumb robots in your case, no doubt about it. Try to get the damn certificate into US with somebody who flies from Russia to US.

Oh but for the love of God, why should I have to?! Can you imagine what if something happens to these documents? And anyway, after months of processing, having to this now? To look for someone flying here....no friends we trust well enough are flying anytime soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.