Yeison Lara

Immigrant Visa from Costa Rica

4 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I am from Costa Rica and my wife from the States and we just had the final interview and they approved my immigrant visa in 1 month and 3 days. yay!!!

We are very happy and we wanted to share our experience with you all.

We've been married for 1 year and 8 months in Costa Rica.

We did it through Direct Consular Filing

September 18, 2008 Filed I-130 form, a week after we were interviewed for the first time. Here they gave us the Medical exams information. I went to 3 different doctors and then we called them to say that everything was ready. Even the Affidavit from my wife's parents who are the joint-sponsors.

On October 21st ,09 we had our final interview and they kept my passport to issue the visa two days after.

We did everything ourselves. Very important was the fact that my wife was already Resident of Costa Rica (which took us 3 months only)

This website is AMAZING, and I wanted to contribute a little.

I heard the officer say that I was going to get a CR-1 visa, since we've been married for 1 year and 8 months. We asked him if we should wait until we've been married 2 years to move the the US, not to have conditions. He was confused and said that that is not important. I am confused here.

What is it that counts? the time of the interview or the time at the port of Entry? Should we wait so we don't have conditions? Can my CR-1 visa become RI-1 visa?

Thank you and Yay! Super happy!

Hello Everyone,

I am from Costa Rica and my wife from the States and we just had the final interview and they approved my immigrant visa in 1 month and 3 days. yay!!!

We are very happy and we wanted to share our experience with you all.

We've been married for 1 year and 8 months in Costa Rica.

We did it through Direct Consular Filing

September 18, 2008 Filed I-130 form, a week after we were interviewed for the first time. Here they gave us the Medical exams information. I went to 3 different doctors and then we called them to say that everything was ready. Even the Affidavit from my wife's parents who are the joint-sponsors.

On October 21st ,09 we had our final interview and they kept my passport to issue the visa two days after.

We did everything ourselves. Very important was the fact that my wife was already Resident of Costa Rica (which took us 3 months only)

This website is AMAZING, and I wanted to contribute a little.

I heard the officer say that I was going to get a CR-1 visa, since we've been married for 1 year and 8 months. We asked him if we should wait until we've been married 2 years to move the the US, not to have conditions. He was confused and said that that is not important. I am confused here.

What is it that counts? the time of the interview or the time at the port of Entry? Should we wait so we don't have conditions? Can my CR-1 visa become RI-1 visa?

Thank you and Yay! Super happy!

If you are married 2 years when you arrive at the POE you should get a IR-1 10 year GC. You may have to ask for it as some IOs like the one you talked to aren't aware of such!

Have proof of marriage dateif you are going to try for the 10 year

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Congratulations and Felicidads to you. We interview for our K1 and K2 visias in CR next wednesday. I will look for your shadow in the embassy courtyard. Of course I am scared poopless and over-preparing as we all must do. Ours is a long time relationship(5 years+) and we have a child and 2 K2'S. All the legal papers say the K2's are free to leave and yet we worry. This is a great site, yet there doesn't seem to be many K-2 visas on this board and thus it is hard to get info. I am going down with 3 times the supporting eveidence because I can't get an answer to whether a single copy of each supporting evidence on the I-134 is good for 3 different family members. The best to you on your future journey.

Thank you all.

Very good luck KeithNValeria! I wish I knew more to help you guys.

Thank you Dakine for clarifying. I hope the officer that would talk to me knows about it. Can I even say something? Airports and officers make me very nervous. I am super legalistic and do everything the right way, but I shake when they ask me questions, especially US officers. It's hard being from Latin America, I guess.

Is there a law or document? or something official that states that after 2 years you get you GC valid for 10 years? Or is it optional? does it depend on the officer? We wouldn't want to go through the process of removing conditions. It would be great if we could have something that backs up what we say.

Thank you very much in advance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.