ChuckandRhean

prenuptial agreement?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

^_^ mmmm Its very controversial and timely among couples. Taking for intance a Filipina marrying a foreign national. I could tell that my future hubby and I have underlying issues and concerns relating to it that of which reflects both our values, character,social perception and commitment to each other.

Could it make or break our relationship vows?...Only both of us could tell thru time and experience. What I could assure him is that no matter what , I have his back . And I love and care for him so much. ^_^ Aussie (our own lingo of understanding :wub: ) kisses, Honey Chuck!

"I will remain to be yours forever,My Love. I love you soOOo much,Honey! The mOst GOrgeous Man ever in Austin!"

--Rhean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles and Rhean

I-129F

02-xx-2008 Met online

03-21-2009 Travelled to Philippines to meet

03-31-2009 Sent out I -129F by FedEx

04-01-2009 NOA 1

08-31-2009 NOA 2 (what a long wait!)

09-04-2009 NVC received I-129F

09-11-2009 Embassy received I-129F

09-30-2009 Medical exam passed

10-08-2009 Interview ...a SUCCESS!

10-20-2009 POE..Minneapolis

10-22-2009 SSN..woohooo!

12-27-2009 Got Married!!!

AOS Timeline

01-07-10 Received changed name Social Security Number

01-10-10 Mailed AOS, EAD, AP via USPS

01-13-10 AOS packet touched , January 13, 2010, 8:10 am, CHICAGO, IL 60680

01-19-10 AOS, EAD, AP NOA1

02-19-10 Biometrics Appointment

02-19-10 Biometrics done!

I am gonna assume your Husband/Fiance is from Texas.

Texas is a community Property state. So what he had before marriage will remain in case you divorce, or Inheritance will remain seperate property.

A pre nup is very good in Texas cuz it protects both parties. Here is an added benefit to a prenup, Say for instance after your married and your husband files for bankruptcy, then if ya'll have a pre nup then then your credit score and assets can't be touched by bankruptcy court.

Also, You can easily do a Post Nuptial Agreement, that is done after marriage take place.

For most couple starting out who have little to nothing , a PreNup or PostNup is not an option nor needed.

It is when one or both of the spouse has significant assets / cash that it is best to protect you investment.

A PreNup or PostNup is a case by case basis to be decided between the 2 parties involved.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Timeline
^_^ mmmm Its very controversial and timely among couples. Taking for intance a Filipina marrying a foreign national. I could tell that my future hubby and I have underlying issues and concerns relating to it that of which reflects both our values, character,social perception and commitment to each other.

Could it make or break our relationship vows?...Only both of us could tell thru time and experience. What I could assure him is that no matter what , I have his back . And I love and care for him so much. ^_^ Aussie (our own lingo of understanding :wub: ) kisses, Honey Chuck!

It may or not be enforceable, whether or not either party can show coercion, very likey in an immigration case. Also, it will not release your obligations under your I-864 contract. The few cases that I have seen in California, also a community property state, all of the sponsoring spouses property was divided equally, or favoring the immigrant.

If you are not sure, wait until you are certain before continuing.

Edited by Lone Ranger

Timeline

mmm :reading: You have points there Lone Ranger. Im actually digesting every word of it.

And Oh yea, Tallcoolone... is ur Texan Castle sa factor to push ur prenup? :P

Is there anyone who has prenup within 90 days prior marriage?

"I will remain to be yours forever,My Love. I love you soOOo much,Honey! The mOst GOrgeous Man ever in Austin!"

--Rhean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles and Rhean

I-129F

02-xx-2008 Met online

04-01-2009 NOA 1

10-22-2009 SSN..woohooo!

AOS Timeline

If you get married in Texas, California law does not apply to you. Tallcone advise would be the one to follow.

Before you sign up a prenuptial, you should have your own lawyer to review the papers with you. If you dont agree on it, you have to negotiate with your fiance.

Pre-nup works both ways. It protect both your properties.

The I-864 contract is different. It is what your husband would owe to the US government in case you would avail of mean tested support from the government.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Timeline
If you get married in Texas, California law does not apply to you. Tallcone advise would be the one to follow.

Before you sign up a prenuptial, you should have your own lawyer to review the papers with you. If you dont agree on it, you have to negotiate with your fiance.

The I-864 contract is different. It is what your husband would owe to the US government in case you would avail of mean tested support from the government.

Oh, let me get into the details of I-864.My fiance/hubby (very soon) might find it interesting. :reading:

--Rhean

Charles and Rhean

I-129F

02-xx-2008 Met online

04-01-2009 NOA 1

10-22-2009 SSN..woohooo!

AOS Timeline

True dat! Every state, and even each court, has there own way of doing things. But community property rules do give each spouse certain rights that cannot be signed away. Best bet, read a few cases and see what judgements have been rendered in the state you plan on living in.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

pre nupt has advantages and disadvantages... but you can also be protected by pre nuptial when u marry a person. u will protected of whatever debt she/he might have in the future.. But, what important is read read read and find someone who can discuss it with u.. it should be fair by both parties and make sure u understand it b4 signing anything... God bless

My opinion ( i know some people will disagree with this, no offense meant) about pre-nuptial agreement:

1. For me I can understand if my fiance will let me sign a pre-nup agreement if he has children.

2. I disagree if I am his first wife. It will hurt me and might change my mind of marrying him just because of the fact that he is even thinking that there is a possibility that the relationship won't work.

Peace! :innocent:

Visit My Website

Nothing Worth Having is Easy.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband and I have a prenuptial agreement before we got married. We have been happily married for almost 7 years now. At first, I questioned him why do I have to sign a prenup and he explained it to me. I understand the whole situation.

If you are not sure, consult a lawyer and make sure you understand what you are signing. My husband actually told me that it was okay to hire a lawyer and he would pay for the cost. I did read the agreement and signed it without hiring a lawyer. Yes, I made sure that I understand what I was signing.

I married my husband because I love him not because of his money or assets. Yes, if you dwell on it and think that your spouse/fiancee do not trust you completely,,, then you will have issues in the future. Prenuptial agreement is a very touchy subject to a lot of people. Some men just want to make sure that you are not aftering their assets/money. YOu have to realize they work very hard for what they have and that's why some of them like to have a prenup. I would do the same thing if I was a man and I have lots of assets.. etc... I am a filipina too... Good luck!!!

was I that stupid that I didn't really fully read what was on the prenup I signed.I trusted my hubby so much that it's just all about protecting his asset and I have nothing to lose anyway?.. :bonk::o .. I've read a lot of topics about prenup that before signing it, you should read it very carefully. I really can't remember a single thing on what was written in there.

As long as it is discussed before marriage and both parties agree to it, a pre-nup is not an issue.

My husband has assets that he acquired before marrying me, and so do I back in the Philippines . I have 4 step children..23, 21, 7 and 8. Even before our marriage we both know what our assets are, debts and liabilities and we married into it.

It was funny though because a pre-nup came into our discussion because of my husband's second ex-wife ( Mother of the 7 and 8 boys )Somehow, my brother in-law read somewhere that she maybe able to sue my hsband for additional child support ( and she is already receiving $1,050 a month!!!) once I start working here in America because it is considered an additional income to the family. He told me we may have to do a pre-nup to protect my future income from the greedy ex wife. To settle the issue, he consulted his lawyer and what a big relief that under Florida laws, the ex-wife can't do that.

Anyhow, we don't have a pre-nup so everything is ours and if anyhthing happens to any of us we both trust each other to do the right thing, especially on his part with regards to the kids.

On the other hand, if my husband decided to have a pre-nup to keep his assets to his name, It would not have been an issue because technically I have no right to his assets acquired before marrying me. I dont believe in short cuts and don't respect people who uses others for a meal ticket.

If you love your husband and he wants a pre-nup, respect that and don't cloud your mind about not being trusted. Just make sure that you read all the terms and conditions . Make sure that it is clearly stated that once you are working and bringing income to the family, or if he doesnt want you to work and just be a homemaker, that you have a share of the assets acquired after marriage.

Goodluck on the journey and be happy :)

Edited by jom

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Chuck here,

I don't get much time to keep up with VJ like Rhean does, but I'm glad y'all are giving here advice on everything she asks about. I wasn not planning on drawing up a pre-nupt then have her look at and sign it. My plan was to sit down and write up what we want in the pre-nupt and hand it to an attorney to write up. Needing only one attorney is cheaper and that way we both know what is going into the agreement.

The reasons I need a pre-nupt were very well described by the responses to this post. I have assets from a previous marraige and ownership in some businesses. Texas law does have several things that specifically can't be in a pre-nupt (child support, infidelity issues etc) and the pre-nupt I was planning was going to be simple - I keep what I started with (including a bunch of debt that she will not be responsible for) and we split the things we earn together after we are married.

I do appreciate all the advice everyone gives here and everyones advice has really helped in all our waiting and processing! - Y'all rock!

Chuck

Charles and Rhean

I-129F

02-xx-2008 Met online on MyForeignBride.com

04-01-2009 NOA 1

10-08-2009 Interview passed - 3 mintues!

10-08-2009 - 10-14-2009 - Stuck in Manila from typhoon / mudslides in Baguio!

10-20-2009 Travel to USA! Finally here - not even mother nature can keep us apart!

10-22-2009 Apply for SSN

Chuck here,

I don't get much time to keep up with VJ like Rhean does, but I'm glad y'all are giving here advice on everything she asks about. I wasn not planning on drawing up a pre-nupt then have her look at and sign it. My plan was to sit down and write up what we want in the pre-nupt and hand it to an attorney to write up. Needing only one attorney is cheaper and that way we both know what is going into the agreement.

The reasons I need a pre-nupt were very well described by the responses to this post. I have assets from a previous marraige and ownership in some businesses. Texas law does have several things that specifically can't be in a pre-nupt (child support, infidelity issues etc) and the pre-nupt I was planning was going to be simple - I keep what I started with (including a bunch of debt that she will not be responsible for) and we split the things we earn together after we are married.

I do appreciate all the advice everyone gives here and everyones advice has really helped in all our waiting and processing! - Y'all rock!

Chuck

You have to revisit your plan on just having one attorney. If that particular attorney is assigned as your attorney, your prenuptial might be useless later on due to lack of legal representation from Rhean. Having one attorney is cheaper now but could be expensive in your part in the future...

Your attorney will give more concrete explanation.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Timeline

My honey and I have mutually agreed upon it. He has discussed to me the who,when, what,and hows of the concern prior his our engagement. And for the benefit of the doubt, the debts incurred arent his,any way, its his name on it. And I can see that hes doing the best he could to iron things out. He has my full support and understanding all throughout. And oh, I have my own assets way back here in the Philippines and earning my own,too. :thumbs:^_^^_^^_^

--Rhean

Charles and Rhean

I-129F

02-xx-2008 Met online

04-01-2009 NOA 1

10-22-2009 SSN..woohooo!

AOS Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.