alcoy

Packet of Instructions from US Embassy in Bogota, Colombia

5 posts in this topic

Hello, all.

I have a question regarding the time it takes to receive the packet of instructions from the U. S. Embassy to apply for a K1 visa once the approved petition arrives there.

My approved petition was sent to the U. S. Embassy on May 9, 2006. To date, my fiancée has not received the packet of instructions so that she can apply for the K1 visa. Is this normal? I've seen some of the dates for others receiving their packet of instructions within one to two weeks after their petition reached the U. S. Embassy. My fiancée has been waiting for two months. Has somenthing gone wrong? Lost in the mail? Never mailed? Sent to wrong address?

I called the embassy, but absolutely get nowhere. They keep telling me to refer to the their website for the interview date, however, she'll never get an interview date without completing the forms in the instruction packet. I can't find out if they even mailed her the packet.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Mike

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Each embassy is different and delay times vary wildly. I would suggest two things

1. Go to the regional forums here in VJ and see if anyone can answer your questions there.

2. Email the embassy asking for information and keep calling, Tell them the details and find out why they havent got packet 3 to you. Also might try contacting your congressman. They seem to be a lot of help with issues like yours.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Filed: Other Timeline
Each embassy is different and delay times vary wildly. I would suggest two things

1. Go to the regional forums here in VJ and see if anyone can answer your questions there.

2. Email the embassy asking for information and keep calling, Tell them the details and find out why they havent got packet 3 to you. Also might try contacting your congressman. They seem to be a lot of help with issues like yours.

Hi alcoy!! well, actually I don´t know if this could be the same for K1 visas, but well, after doing the things that dwar49 have told you, I can tell you that today I have called my embassy because my case was sent there on June 29, but the operator told me that I have not wait anything until october (may be with the new fiscal year) because there is not authorization number for my category (F2A) so, she told me that I have to wait... :( so, it could be a reazon for you too, although I am from Guatemala and my case is different, but it could be... I hope it is not like that for you.. bye

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Unfortunately Bogota does not do e-mails. I would call them (at $13 per call) and explain the situation. Another unfortunate thing is that the people who answer the phone have no clue about anything. I highly recommend you go to the guides section here and print out the entire guideline/ timeline portion. Then go to Downloads, and download every form you will need for your fiancee..... e-mail them to her, help her fill them out over the phone, or in person if you're going anytime soon. I knew that the packages would NEVER get to my fiance's house so I faxed a letter asking them to please send the packages to his aunt's house in Medellin (he lives in a small pueblo up the mountain) and within two days, he received his first package (#3)... GOOD LUCK, KEEP US POSTED!!!!!!! :)

skemper19 - MIAMI

2-13-2006 - Sent K-1 (I-129F) Petition to TSC

2-15-2006 - LOST EXPRESS MAIL RECEIPT SO I CAN'T EVEN TRACK IT TO CONFIRM IT WAS RECEIVED

2-16-2006 - FOUND MY EXPRESS MAIL RECEIPT!!!! Confirmed I-129F package arrived!! YAY!!!!!!

3-1-2006 - TOUCHED!!!!!! Check cleared the bank, now have case #!!!!

3-2-2006 - TOUCHED AGAIN - RECEIVED NOA1 FROM CSC!!!!!!!!!

4-7-2006 through 4-17-2006 - Visited my baby in Colombia ( Had a GLORIOUS time)

5-2-2006 - TOUCHED by e-mail!!!!! I-129F HAS BEEN APPROVED (5-1-2006)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

5-6-06 - TOUCHED BY SNAIL MAIL - RECEIVED NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!

5-22-06 - Called NVC - RECEIVED PETITION AND SENT TO EMBASSY ALL IN THE SAME DAY!!!!!

5-25-06 - RECEIVED LETTER FROM NVC CONFIRMING RECEIPT AND SENDING OF PETITION TO EMBASSY

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

6-5-06 - PACKET 3 RECEIVED!!!!!!!!

6-16-05 - PACKET 4 RECEIVED!!!!!!!! Interview scheduled for July 14th!!!!!!!

7-14-06 - VISA DENIED DU TO LACK OF EVIDENCE

8-1-06 - Second interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

9-29-06 - He arrived!!!!

10-19-06 - Married at a small ceremony

11-10-0 - sent AOS package

11-17-06 - RECEIVED NOA1 for AOS and EAD

11-27-06 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPT 4 12-14-06 WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO

2-1-07 - RECEIVED E-MAIL THAT EAD WAS APPROVED!!!!!!!

2-3-07 - RECEIVED EAD CARD IN THE MAIL!!! Lucked out on that one!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Unfortunately Bogota does not do e-mails. I would call them (at $13 per call) and explain the situation. Another unfortunate thing is that the people who answer the phone have no clue about anything. I highly recommend you go to the guides section here and print out the entire guideline/ timeline portion. Then go to Downloads, and download every form you will need for your fiancee..... e-mail them to her, help her fill them out over the phone, or in person if you're going anytime soon. I knew that the packages would NEVER get to my fiance's house so I faxed a letter asking them to please send the packages to his aunt's house in Medellin (he lives in a small pueblo up the mountain) and within two days, he received his first package (#3)... GOOD LUCK, KEEP US POSTED!!!!!!! :)

My fiancee's packet 3 got "lost" in the mail as well. I called the embassy a couple of times and finally got them to send another packet. Both of them arrived at her house the same day (so the first one was probably sitting at the local post office or whatever they have down there).

I would definitely call the embassy, and use the international phone number found on the embassy info page. I called using a calling card and was never billed $13 or $15 or whatever they say it is. Also, they only accept phone calls regarding K-1 visas on Wednesdays from 3-4pm local time, and the level of help you receive depends on who answers the phone.

Hope this helped!

I-129F (K-1 Fiancee Visa)

11/29/05 sent I-129F

12/07/05 rec'd NOA1

03/06/06 rec'd NOA2

03/21/06 NVC case# assigned

03/22/06 case left NVC for Bogota

03/24/06 package rec'd in Bogota

03/28/06 packet 3 mailed from embassy

04/12/06 called embassy and requested to re-send packet 3

04/18/06 faxed and mailed packet 3

04/21/06 rec'd BOTH packet 3's...

05/01/06 rec'd packet 4

05/24/06 interview - APROBADO!!

06/03/06 flew to Barranquilla

06/05/06 back in the States with my novia

09/01/06 MARRIED!!

I-485 (AOS) / I-765 (EAD)

09/19/06 sent I-485 and I-765

09/29/06 rec'd NOA for I-485 and I-765

10/10/06 AOS transferred to CSC

10/20/06 biometrics appt.

10/26/06 I-485 APPROVED, welcome letter sent!

10/30/06 welcome letter rec'd in the mail

11/02/06 REC'D GREEN CARD!

I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

07/30/08 sent I-751

08/15/08 rec'd NOA from VSC

09/10/08 biometrics appt.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.