Marc and Olga

Any Correstions officers around

23 posts in this topic

You should be able to find books with practice tests in them on amazon.com or at decent size book stores - also it's worth browsing the websites for various DOC's as some of them give practice tests (the Texas DOC has a practice one you can use).

Also, you can check these three web forums which may be able to give you some contacts or advice for the place that you're applying at:

www.officer.com (general Law Enforcement website, with a section of the forums for Corrections)

www.realpolice.net

http://forums.prisonofficer.org/ (specific forums for Corrections and Jail Officers)

Best of luck and let us know how it goes :thumbs:

Married to my USC Spouse in the UK 08/17/2006

Entered the US with my CR1 on 09/25/2007

Mailed I-751 application on 07/14/2009 to CSC

I-751 package arrived at CSC on 07/16/2009

Check cashed on 07/20/2009

NOA1 Dated 07/16/2009

Biometrics Appointment 08/21/2009

Touched 08/24/2009

APPROVED 09/14/2009

Card Production Ordered 09/22/2009

Card arrived in the mail 09/28/2009

US Citizen as of 10/20/2010!

*IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN WORKING IN SECURITY/LAW ENFORCEMENT/MILITARY IN THE USA, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME FOR INFO*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Are we talking about prison guards? Correction is a very poor politically correct word they use as they are not correcting anything. One of my brother-in-laws, the one I really like tried that for six months, a very nauseating type of work for him, he quit after six months. An important perquisite to get a job like this is to be a complete a$$hole, my brother-in-law is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Not a job for niceguys.

Actually, they are attempting to "correct" an inmates behaviour. "Prison Guard" is an outdated and somewhat insulting term for Correctional Officers (or CO for short).

Corrections work can be difficult and frustrating, but, you don't have to be an "a$$hole". Firm, fair, and consistent are the main traits that are desirable, and a thick skin as well, as unfortunately you will have to deal with a lot of insults and bad comments both inside and outside the walls.

Also, see if you can obtain a copy of the book "Games Prisoners Play" - it is an excellent resource and delves into the pyschology and motives behind what the inmates are doing. "New Jack", is also an interesting read, written by a journalist who spent a year as a CO at the Sing Sing Penitentiary in New York.

Married to my USC Spouse in the UK 08/17/2006

Entered the US with my CR1 on 09/25/2007

Mailed I-751 application on 07/14/2009 to CSC

I-751 package arrived at CSC on 07/16/2009

Check cashed on 07/20/2009

NOA1 Dated 07/16/2009

Biometrics Appointment 08/21/2009

Touched 08/24/2009

APPROVED 09/14/2009

Card Production Ordered 09/22/2009

Card arrived in the mail 09/28/2009

US Citizen as of 10/20/2010!

*IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN WORKING IN SECURITY/LAW ENFORCEMENT/MILITARY IN THE USA, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME FOR INFO*

Timeline
Actually, they are attempting to "correct" an inmates behaviour. "Prison Guard" is an outdated and somewhat insulting term for Correctional Officers (or CO for short).

Corrections work can be difficult and frustrating, but, you don't have to be an "a$hole". Firm, fair, and consistent are the main traits that are desirable, and a thick skin as well, as unfortunately you will have to deal with a lot of insults and bad comments both inside and outside the walls.

Also, see if you can obtain a copy of the book "Games Prisoners Play" - it is an excellent resource and delves into the pyschology and motives behind what the inmates are doing. "New Jack", is also an interesting read, written by a journalist who spent a year as a CO at the Sing Sing Penitentiary in New York.

Seem to have a bad habit of telling things the way they are, would make a damn poor politician. But to be more politically correct, should call them a Making A Better Choice Officer, or MABCO for short. After all, these people did make poor choices. We do need more acronyms. CO can be confused with commanding officer or carbon monoxide.

Edited by NickD

Are we talking about prison guards? Correction is a very poor politically correct word they use as they are not correcting anything. One of my brother-in-laws, the one I really like tried that for six months, a very nauseating type of work for him, he quit after six months. An important perquisite to get a job like this is to be a complete a$$hole, my brother-in-law is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Not a job for niceguys.

The term Corrections has been in use for 100+ years, so we should change it now? It used to be House of Correction. Just like a parent Corrects a wayward child, the process of incarceration attempts to Correct the criminal mindset, and say NO to brutes, thugs and ruffians who cannot follow the most basic rules of society. And you expect "Nice Guys" or "Officer Friendlies" to put up with the societal miscreants that the court sends to jail each week? Yes, it takes a certain type to work in the slammer, but it does not mean CO's are all bad. Remember, they are helping keep your home and family safe. Don't believe that, just google up some stats on how many "prison guards" are hurt or assaulted each week by the honor students they have to deal with each and every day. God Bless, and safe travels to you.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline
Are we talking about prison guards? Correction is a very poor politically correct word they use as they are not correcting anything. One of my brother-in-laws, the one I really like tried that for six months, a very nauseating type of work for him, he quit after six months. An important perquisite to get a job like this is to be a complete a$hole, my brother-in-law is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Not a job for niceguys.

The term Corrections has been in use for 100+ years, so we should change it now? It used to be House of Correction. Just like a parent Corrects a wayward child, the process of incarceration attempts to Correct the criminal mindset, and say NO to brutes, thugs and ruffians who cannot follow the most basic rules of society. And you expect "Nice Guys" or "Officer Friendlies" to put up with the societal miscreants that the court sends to jail each week? Yes, it takes a certain type to work in the slammer, but it does not mean CO's are all bad. Remember, they are helping keep your home and family safe. Don't believe that, just google up some stats on how many "prison guards" are hurt or assaulted each week by the honor students they have to deal with each and every day. God Bless, and safe travels to you.

From news reports, our prisons in Wisconsin are overflowing with drug victims, some claim 70% shouldn't even be there. And besides, by being naughty you get free food, cable TV, and medical care, even free college courses at the cost to the taxpayer of 40 grand a year for each correcting needing person. So thinking about being naughty myself.

Are we talking about prison guards? Correction is a very poor politically correct word they use as they are not correcting anything. One of my brother-in-laws, the one I really like tried that for six months, a very nauseating type of work for him, he quit after six months. An important perquisite to get a job like this is to be a complete a$hole, my brother-in-law is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Not a job for niceguys.

From news reports, our prisons in Wisconsin are overflowing with drug victims, some claim 70% shouldn't even be there. And besides, by being naughty you get free food, cable TV, and medical care, even free college courses at the cost to the taxpayer of 40 grand a year for each correcting needing person. So thinking about being naughty myself.

California is being forced by a panel of 3 federal judges to release 40,000 prisoners within 2 years to alleviate overcrowding, which means many bad guys coming to many neighborhoods soon. Should be fun. Stay tuned.

ps, tv is a great babysitter and balm for guys relegated to their cells 23 hrs a day; otherwise, they could assault prison staff for sh!ts and giggles. Prisoners are wards of the state, and require a basic level of care by law, including medical (if you had a family member or dear friend incarcerated, would you like him to be able to have access to a doctor or nurse?). I would prefer a prisoner to be studying books, than studying how to steal my identity or how to be a better burglar. Yes, too many drug offenders behind bars; lets provide them help in the community for that! And reform 3 strike laws, too. Dont be naughty, keep being a responsible, productive member of society and reach your potential and purpose in life, and be kind to others who need a hand. Cheers!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

First, thanks for all the replies.

Second, yeah I made a mistake...the early replies made me laugh... a little! :P

Third, I am fairly certain she's applying for a corrections officer for one of the private jail/prisons around here.

Marc

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!